Stotty
    Last Online
    12-10-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant

Alright! Short Intro...

Alright, Stotty here, i dont own a Galant/Legnum (yet), i know little about cars but i know what looks "pretty" and i love! The styling of the Galant/Legnum's. Since the government are being dick's and killing off us dirty diesel drivers, it only makes sense to change to a 2.5 V6 twin turbo... doesnt it?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Stotty View Post
    Alright, Stotty here, i dont own a Galant/Legnum (yet), i know little about cars but i know what looks "pretty" and i love! The styling of the Galant/Legnum's. Since the government are being dick's and killing off us dirty diesel drivers, it only makes sense to change to a 2.5 V6 twin turbo... doesnt it?
    So what do you need to know my VR4 friend ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Stotty
    Last Online
    12-10-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant

Nowt really, just saying hi, keeping my eyes out for something which tickles my pickle. I s'pose the only thing that i would like to know is... that lovely MPG question... how much do people get raped?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi and welcome

MPG of course depends on your usage patterns - but on average expect ~18mpg around town, and ~25-28 on a run.

If you've got LPG available nearby, then that can reduce fuel costs by quite a bit, albeit with an initial outlay of around £1000, but worthwhile if you think you'll keep the car for a while

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

Welcome

Where abouts are you based? if you've not been in a VR4, I'd recommend speaking to an owner and seeing if you can get out for a ride. They are not as refined as the Mazda and probably not as modern either.

Stuart.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by jaspa View Post
    Welcome

Where abouts are you based? if you've not been in a VR4, I'd recommend speaking to an owner and seeing if you can get out for a ride. They are not as refined as the Mazda and probably not as modern either.

Stuart.
    I think with that comment your not doing the VR4 any justice considering the age of these vehicles they where refined.
    People buying these Japanese cars at that time of production were buying for this technology and power. Consider not whats inside where your sitting but its technology underneath. These vehicles were fantastic and i dont think.... any other manufacture was using AYC at this level.
    Dave'O

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Indeed, compare them to a car released in 1995 from other manufacturers (especially at the price point), not only Japanese but also many European, and OK, the quality of the interior might not be quite as good, but they are a ~£30k high performance sports car. The equivalent Audi S6 was around £40k, the BMW E39 was around £32k plus extras, but none of them had the level of technology designed to make you go faster that the VR-4 did.

Compare it to a Stagea, or a Legacy, and the VR-4 is a class above it in terms of interiors.

Keep it mostly standard, without massively changing suspension or wheel & tyre size, and you get a car that rides over almost any terrain at almost any speed. I think that is somewhat ruined with aftermarket suspension, bodykits and larger wheels/lower profile tyres (I've certainly ruined mine by fitting the Super bodykit which lowers the corners by an inch and the sills by two)

Manufacturers like Ford only got round to adding torque vectoring in the 2016 Focus RS - 21 years after the VR-4 was released!

What you get with the VR-4 is a car which is quicker than a hell of a lot on the roads, can go round corners quicker than a lot of them, and most importantly, is substantially cheaper than equivalent vehicles!

Name
    Stotty
    Last Online
    12-10-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant

I'm in Newcastle, i wouldnt expect it to match my Mazda (59 plate) for technology or comfort but... the Mazda wont ever!!! Get close to a VR4 for speed... I would be wanting to keep it standard, if i could find an untouched one. I love the idea that few people today would know what it is, never mind the speed.

What would people say was the worst thing about owning a VR4? Is it an arse to get parts for?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Thare
    Quote Originally Posted by Stotty View Post
    I'm in Newcastle, i wouldnt expect it to match my Mazda (59 plate) for technology or comfort but... the Mazda wont ever!!! Get close to a VR4 for speed... I would be wanting to keep it standard, if i could find an untouched one. I love the idea that few people today would know what it is, never mind the speed.

What would people say was the worst thing about owning a VR4? Is it an arse to get parts for?
    There are a few things but really not picking fault, there are people talking about body issues, I guess im one of the lucky ones that have none to complain.
    Rear wheel arches, sill areas, front strut towers, are the common ones. Mechanical issues are front lower ball joints, Steering rack ends. Standard brakes not the best.
    Dave O

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Rust is the biggest issue with them IMO.

Mechanically, they're pretty darn reliable if you keep up with the scheduled maintenance, and use good quality fluids.

Parts, when needed, aren't too hard to get hold of. I've never struggled. Many bits available from Viamoto, and a few people around here that have bits available that you can't get new (or don't want new).

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

Quote Originally Posted by mitsiboyblue View Post
    I think with that comment your not doing the VR4 any justice considering the age of these vehicles they where refined.
    People buying these Japanese cars at that time of production were buying for this technology and power. Consider not whats inside where your sitting but its technology underneath. These vehicles were fantastic and i dont think.... any other manufacture was using AYC at this level.
    Dave'O

Sorry, It's the joys of typing/reading. I really wasn't meaning to come across that negative just ensure that Stotty went in with his eyes wide open.

To put a bit of context, I had a friend who decided that he simply must have a Track Prepped BBR Turbo powered Mk1 Mazda MX5 because that's what he'd decided on. He sold a rather nice 450Bhp mk2 Toyota MR2 turbo and went looking for said MX5. It was only then that he got into one for the first time and hated the fact that the interior was so much smaller than the MR2 and that the pedals were off centre from the seating position. He would have kept the MR2 if he'd checked first.

Please understand I'm a massive fan of the VR4 but when Stotty mentioned wanting it because it "looked pretty", I thought it worth mentioning. (not saying you do, Stotty) but some peoples expectations need managing before they dive in too deep.

Stuart

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Joiiiin uuuusssssss
    mpg wise, my worst was 13.5 around town, my best (consistently) 29.5 on long journeys. Super only!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    04-08-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '96 Galant VR-4

I once hit 2.6mpg. But that was on track giving it some.
    To be honest i feel for everyday cutting about the mpg can be very respectable i.e. my e46 330 gets similar milage to my vr4 but is nowhere as nice to drive.
    As long as you don't have a lead foot they are fairly refined motors.
    '96 Galant VR4 manual
    Uprated intercooler
    Siebon Carbon bonnet
    Carbon roof
    Custom 3" straight through Exhaust
    Tein Super Wagon coilovers
    BBS alloys
    Mintex 1155's
    Hell braided break hoses
    Gizzmo IBC
    DE-restricted
    Dump vlv.
    Td04's
    Custom exhaust manifolds
    Custom 2.5 - 3" downpipes
    Custom intake pipework
    Twin filter set-up
    Vipec ECU
    SARD FPR
    RC Racing 550cc injectors
    Modified fuel rail
    HRC HR342 fuel pump (340lph)
    Relocated battery
    A/C removed
    Slim push fans x2

'97 Legnum vr4
    Evo Enki's
    Custom cat back exhaust
    HKS mushroom filter
    De-restricted
    Brembo's on front
    Now breaking for spares

More to come, eventually.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Yer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaspa View Post
    Sorry, It's the joys of typing/reading. I really wasn't meaning to come across that negative just ensure that Stotty went in with his eyes wide open.

To put a bit of context, I had a friend who decided that he simply must have a Track Prepped BBR Turbo powered Mk1 Mazda MX5 because that's what he'd decided on. He sold a rather nice 450Bhp mk2 Toyota MR2 turbo and went looking for said MX5. It was only then that he got into one for the first time and hated the fact that the interior was so much smaller than the MR2 and that the pedals were off centre from the seating position. He would have kept the MR2 if he'd checked first.

Please understand I'm a massive fan of the VR4 but when Stotty mentioned wanting it because it "looked pretty", I thought it worth mentioning. (not saying you do, Stotty) but some peoples expectations need managing before they dive in too deep.

Stuart
    Yer! totally understand why your saying that after explaining that synario.

Name
    Stotty
    Last Online
    12-10-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    Joiiiin uuuusssssss
    Hearts and a smile! Damn!!!

You can tell that the interior is... dated? I'm sure it cant be any worse than my old Mazda 626 was. So really its just standard car troubles? Thats canny to know. I'm sure my first few tanks of fuel would be with a heavy foot but i'd soon be a little bit more sensible. I will definitely keep up with my search for one, cheers for all the info, its good to know there's a great community out there for these beasts.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I agree with most of the above, although most of the mpg figures might give you a little hope rather than realism. Expect 16 round town and 25 on a long steady run. If you get better it's a bonus!