Josh jones
    Last Online
    11-09-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 vr4

Doing my head in

Hi club,I have a 1998 vr4 galant,I've just replace the clutch with a brand new clutch kit, now the problem is that I can't shift it into any gear,it seems like it goes into 1St,3Rd,and 5the,and there spend to bee a lot of free play in the lever,plz any ideas??? I can't seem to find a manual or any information on the 98's,pretty rare car apparently

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm pretty sure this will mean one of the two gearbox linkages is loose / detached.

Would be the place to start looking!

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Type S

Quote Originally Posted by Nightryder View Post
    Hi club,I have a 1998 vr4 galant,I've just replace the clutch with a brand new clutch kit, now the problem is that I can't shift it into any gear,it seems like it goes into 1St,3Rd,and 5the,and there spend to bee a lot of free play in the lever,plz any ideas??? I can't seem to find a manual or any information on the 98's,pretty rare car apparently
    3 things to check

1 The 2 links to the gear selectors you will have removed to do the clutch, these are best replaced with scateboard bearings anyway as there’s way less slop

2 there’s a little white plastic bush that is pushfit onto the linkage this can fall off when it’s all off the car and will cause lots of slop this is better replaced with one you can get from Ross sport it fits better, also worth doing is the same mount the linkage attaches to has a bonded rubber joint it’s better welded again less slop,

3 finally inside the car the 2 cables are clipped under the centre console behind the gear stick assembly these can come uncliped and cause this too especially if you have a short shift

Let us know which it is

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Type S

Quote Originally Posted by hbkuk1 View Post
    3 things to check

1 The 2 links to the gear selectors you will have removed to do the clutch, these are best replaced with scateboard bearings anyway as there’s way less slop

2 there’s a little white plastic bush that is pushfit onto the linkage this can fall off when it’s all off the car and will cause lots of slop this is better replaced with one you can get from Ross sport it fits better, also worth doing is the same mount the linkage attaches to has a bonded rubber joint it’s better welded again less slop,

3 finally inside the car the 2 cables are clipped under the centre console behind the gear stick assembly these can come uncliped and cause this too especially if you have a short shift

Let us know which it is
    Also are you sure the slave is fully blead they are a bitch check you are getting full disengagement

Name
    Josh jones
    Last Online
    11-09-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 vr4

Thanks amonlym but no both links were attached and pins put in

Name
    Josh jones
    Last Online
    11-09-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 vr4

Hi hbkuk1,I have checked all three things you mentioned, I have had it up on blocks and I'm still getting 1St,3Rd and 5the that I'm aware, holding the gear lever down into 2Nd, 4th and reverse the hubs are spinning but still won't go into gear,I've released the bolt at the pedal to see if that gives the slave more travel but no luck,any more idea's? I'm hoping it's not the synchronising ring,plz I'm so close and it's frustrating