Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Red face New Owner and some questions

I have just purchased a 2000 reg Legnum VR4, it is a Jap import only has 43k Miles on the clock. I will be picking the car up next week once its back from being registered etc. Just hear to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice on common issues, mods, help etc.

So my name is Chris, I'm 21 from Scotland.

This will be my first Import car and my first Mitsubishi, but my 3rd jap car overall.

Few mods i plan on doing are changing the radio as the current one is an aftermarket one in japanese and i dont know if it can be changed to english. So is changing the radio just plug and play or??
    I do want a set of evo 8 enkei wheels and finally i want to get a set of evo seats but if anyone knows if these are bolt in or custom rail job that would be great to know

My final question is where do you guys recommend taking the car to get serviced and maintained. All suggestions taking but preferably in scotland

Thanks for any help that you guys have to offer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40413584_233006907374655_8662917652705968128_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	80283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40382472_2081189495464538_735680562970230784_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	80282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40436297_2152333858361534_6526768122752401408_n.jpg 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	80284

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by chrismillar0 View Post
    I have just purchased a 2000 reg Legnum VR4, it is a Jap import only has 43k Miles on the clock. I will be picking the car up next week once its back from being registered etc. Just hear to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice on common issues, mods, help etc.

So my name is Chris, I'm 21 from Scotland.

This will be my first Import car and my first Mitsubishi, but my 3rd jap car overall.

Few mods i plan on doing are changing the radio as the current one is an aftermarket one in japanese and i dont know if it can be changed to english. So is changing the radio just plug and play or??
    I do want a set of evo 8 enkei wheels and finally i want to get a set of evo seats but if anyone knows if these are bolt in or custom rail job that would be great to know

My final question is where do you guys recommend taking the car to get serviced and maintained. All suggestions taking but preferably in scotland

Thanks for any help that you guys have to offer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40413584_233006907374655_8662917652705968128_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	80283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40382472_2081189495464538_735680562970230784_n.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	80282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40436297_2152333858361534_6526768122752401408_n.jpg 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	80284
    Hi there and welcome,
    Yes you can quite easily replace the Japanese radio for a UK style one, single or double din size, they will both fit. All you will need is a plug & play intermediate link lead which you can buy from a car audio store, Halfords etc and it will work just fine. Thinking on.... you might just have to swap round the IG1 & +12v wires in the plug to stop the unit loosing it memory.
    Im unsure about the seat runners because I haven't done it myself but..... something tells me they should fit as there are many components right through the Ralliart range vehicles that interchange, suspension, brakes, transmission assemblies all fit so im assuming the floor pan and tunnelling sould be the same also.
    Anyway its great to have you on board
    Dave O

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Thanks for the info Dave. Ill look into the seats and hopefully find someone with them local so i can try them before buying

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Thanks for the info Dave. Ill look into the seats and hopefully find someone with them local so i can try them before buying
    Oh and for servicing your beast locally Mmmm.... thats a toughy!! your local Mitsubishi dealership will take good care of it but pricey at the best part of £100.00 +vat PH.
    A good reputable independent performance garage would be cheaper and they should also understand the AYC system and differentials. AYC oil MM/ATF SP3 but the rear diff chamber is only small so contamination levels build up relatively quite quick. Manufacture time scale for replacing are 4500-5000 miles and 3000 miles for spirited driving.
    If yours is Automatic id get the fluids and filter inspected as your mileage might point to it still running on the original fluid. Special equipement will be needed when bleeding the system.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

I was thinking about my local dealer but wasnt sure as you hear stories all the time about dealers etc. I dont get the car until next week but from the advert and inspection of the car. It has 18 stamps in the service manual and i believe it has had a full fluid change on the 3rd to last service (so was around 9k miles ago if i remember correctly) But i do plan on getting the car fully checked over as im no expert. But i had it on a lift before buying and it is totally rust free. It drove amazingly smoothe, gear changes were perfect (it is an auto btw) No noises or anything to report. But i do want to keep it in proper good condition so even tho the dealer is undersealing it i plan on getting it done by my mates garage just incase before the winter.

Once again thanks for you input

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

I was thinking about my local dealer but wasnt sure as you hear stories all the time about dealers etc. I dont get the car until next week but from the advert and inspection of the car. It has 18 stamps in the service manual and i believe it has had a full fluid change on the 3rd to last service (so was around 9k miles ago if i remember correctly) But i do plan on getting the car fully checked over as im no expert. But i had it on a lift before buying and it is totally rust free. It drove amazingly smoothe, gear changes were perfect (it is an auto btw) No noises or anything to report. But i do want to keep it in proper good condition so even tho the dealer is undersealing it i plan on getting it done by my mates garage just incase before the winter.

Once again thanks for you input
    Sounds like you've bought a gem there my friend, stay in touch and keep the posts coming!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mitsiboyblue View Post
    Sounds like you've bought a gem there my friend, stay in touch and keep the posts coming!

Yeah i sure hope i have. I will keep the posts coming

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the club. The car looks great.

I'm not sure I'd want to use a Mitsi dealer for servicing. I bet most of them won't have ever heard of a VR4 let alone seen one. It'll cost you a lot to have them work on it.

I can't comment on anything north of the border as I'm a southern softie but there are a few club members up there who may be able to help.

Search for The Garage Wishaw or Bridgend Garage on here to see some comments about servicing from them. Both independents I think?
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

We were up in that part of the world in the VR-4 last week!

Evo seats are not a bolt-in job. You'd be looking at bespoke rails
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome Chris!

Enjoy your car. Best to get comfortable wrenching on it, in my experience so far your own work is the most careful

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    Welcome Chris!

Enjoy your car. Best to get comfortable wrenching on it, in my experience so far your own work is the most careful
    Never a more true word spoken....

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    Welcome Chris!

Definitely. Armed with a Membership to ClubVR4 and some spanners, you'll have access to a huge number of great guides written by enthusiasts who know these cars inside out, and you'll be able to maintain your lovely car to the highest possible standard, and the cheapest possible price!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

I do all my own work on my civic but I'm not overly bothered about messingthat up as it is just a project to learn on at the moment.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

I'll give them a look and see what I can get done. Cheers mate

Name
    Drew
    Last Online
    16-11-2019
    Country
    England
    Car
    FTO and PAJERO

Welcome Chris,

Congrats on a lovely example! I test drive this and agree it drove really well

The radio might be might be abit more complicated though as this one is a built in nav and heater controls, whereas other models have a double din and separate heater controls at the top on the dash.

If the sales guys didn’t already show you, they have an app (could be google translate?) that uses the augmented reality to translate the jap txt.

I’m still looking as I’m after a black FL auto type S...

Enjoy!

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The integrated japness is called mmcs. As I understand it the looms are the same for the radio and heater controls so buying a second hand console with the heater controls and the double din recess will allow you to lose the Japanese screen of wonder.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsimivec View Post
    Welcome Chris,

Congrats on a lovely example! I test drive this and agree it drove really well

The radio might be might be abit more complicated though as this one is a built in nav and heater controls, whereas other models have a double din and separate heater controls at the top on the dash.

If the sales guys didn’t already show you, they have an app (could be google translate?) that uses the augmented reality to translate the jap txt.

I’m still looking as I’m after a black FL auto type S...

Enjoy!

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey drew. Haha small world that you've driven it so far everything has been great and can't wait to do something similar to it although no massive plans

Yeah I've used the app it seems to work fairly well and gets me by. I've figured out most of the buttons and what they do but having to use a FM adapter as the radio won't pick up any UK stations due to its limited MHz range (only goes up to 90mhz whereas we range from 87-108/9mhz). But that's fine.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    10-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    The integrated japness is called mmcs. As I understand it the looms are the same for the radio and heater controls so buying a second hand console with the heater controls and the double din recess will allow you to lose the Japanese screen of wonder.
    I had a look on eBay and there is a seller from Japan selling the centre consoles your on about in carbon fibre so I think I'm going to pick one up. I'm a bit of a sucker for some carbon tbh. Thanks mate

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    25-10-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnum vr4 and

I've got a carbon console for sale, it's the last thing I have from
    my leggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast