26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

What to do/what's it worth question

Hi Guys,

After some advice really.

The clutch started slipping on my '96 Manual PFL Legnum VR4 in Trigger Mauve so I parked it up and apart from starting it every couple of weeks and rolling it back and forwards on the drive it's not done anything, it's a third car, I have a diesel Fiesta as a daily and a Delica for the family toy as the wife prefers this to the Legnum.

I don't have the time to swap the clutch out myself and as it's not being used I may as well pass it on to a member that will enjoy it more.

It's MOTd until December and I've no reason to think that it won't pass again this year, I might insure and tax it for November and stick a full years MOT on it, no free time until then.

It had a small bonk a couple of years ago and we replaced the front end, it wasn't hard enough to push the radiator into the fans. Once I got it back on the road it swallowed a spark plug earth so we swapped the engine for one from a same aged Automatic Legnum (The auto was actually really nice to drive it was just failing to the tin worm). Since the engine swap it's done probably 5000miles with no issues at all.

So the question is, What's the car worth in it's current state and would anyone be interested in it? Would a years ticket make it more attractive? The car is still driveable, but you can feel the slipping when pulling from 40 in 5th.

It's worth mentioning that I also have a load of parts that I can throw in which are left over from the Auto Legnum, including Rallyart suspension, spare Turbos, inlet manifolds, another engine cover etc. And some aftermarket goodies like a new wideband AFM and boost gauge, that I've never fitted and decat pipe and a rear strutbrace.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong section

Stuart

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

As you are well aware, a running MOT'd car is worth more than one requiring work. A damage marker (if it has one) will always affect the price.

eBay would probably achieve the best return for you.

A standard clutch and flywheel is going to cost around £300 plus fitting so I would check current prices and make an allowance for that.

Value is tied to condition with our cars, if its in good condition the clutch won't affect the asking price by much.

I don't want to give you my idea of value in an open thread as it can fix a price in peoples mind.

Good luck with the sale
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

Cheers Tim,

I thought about ordering the clutch and including it in the sale but then you're limiting the car, if the next owner wants to increase performance now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade the clutch too.

That's pretty much my thoughts confirmed. I'll get it MOTd at start of November and then get it up and advertised. I don't think it's a bad car at all in all honesty and the Manual transmission should help. Mechanically it's all solid and there's no real rust issues.

Thanks alot

Stuart

Name
    Mister Bobby
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    2001 VR-4 Sedan

Hi Stuart,

Do you have any pictures?

And what range you think price would be? Under or over 4k?

Olavi

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

I'll send you a PM this evening when I get home from work.

and I'm thinking substantially under £4k

Stuart

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

So I finally managed to get the time to drop the Legnum down at the MOT station and... It passed

2 advisories:
    - corrosion to floor,chassis and suspension
    - Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

Both of them were listed last year too but I've only done 1100 miles in the year so happy with that, Time to write an advert I guess.

Stuart

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Thats good news. The corrosion advisory may be nothing more than surface rust. Most modern cars are well treated so its unusual to see generally and MOT testers can be suprised by older cars like ours.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Thats good news. The corrosion advisory may be nothing more than surface rust. Most modern cars are well treated so its unusual to see generally and MOT testers can be suprised by older cars like ours.
    Thanks, The tester basically told me that he puts it on most japanese cars as par for the course as they all are like it so I personally am not worried, just need to explain the same to the next potential owner and let them see it for themselves .

Stuart

Name
    kevin
    Last Online
    30-04-2020
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

hi,what price on plastic engine cover and condition cheers kev.