Bailey
    Last Online
    06-11-2018
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2001 Lancer

Purchasing used Mitsubishi Legma VR4

hey everyone im new on this forum and wanted some expert opinions on this car. im currently looking at buying a 1997 mitsubishi legnum VR4. Ive found a great deal, comes with full service history with 200km on the clock and seems mainly well kept, but there is one main issue. Theres minor surface rust on all doors, and the bottom of the drivers door looks particularly concerning. I come to expect that a 20 year old car having spent most of its life on the coast would have rust spots, and was wondering whether it should be a deal breaker or if its not something to be too worried about. As far as i know, the rust is only cosmetic and does not affect the structural rigidity of the vehicle and chassis. I will attach photos below. Lastly, what price would i be looking at to have this patched up.

Thanks in advance guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0408.jpg   IMG_0412.jpg   IMG_0414.jpg   IMG_0417.jpg   IMG_0418.jpg  

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

That rust wouldn't put me off, but it would make me loom deeper into the car. Check the front strut tops, especially from the engine bay facing the engine. Check the rear wheel arches. The front slam panel can also show signs. If those areas are sound then I'd look for other doors or have those worked on.

Name
    Bailey
    Last Online
    06-11-2018
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2001 Lancer

Will do, he has sent me photos of the engine bay and arches and it seems to be sound. He is adamant that the rust is only cosmetic. How much would i be looking at to get the rust on the doors repaired?

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Its not always easy to spray small parts of a car without needing to blow in adjacent panels. I suspect that the repairs would need quite a bit of paint work.

its quite unusual to see rusty doors and as Nick said, I would be looking at other places including wheel arches and the subframe mountings underneath the car.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Robert Isnor
    Last Online
    14-11-2018
    Country
    Other

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Its not always easy to spray small parts of a car without needing to blow in adjacent panels. I suspect that the repairs would need quite a bit of paint work.

its quite unusual to see rusty doors and as Nick said, I would be looking at other places including wheel arches and the subframe mountings underneath the car.
    You'll probably need to paint every part you're going to repair.