Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

6A13 non turbo Engine Rattle

Good evening all, I’ve owned a V6 Sport Galant manual for a few months now. I’m thrilled to bits with it but I’ve noticed that at around 2,000 RPM unloaded (ie freewheeling) there is a rattling noise emitted from the engine somewhere. A quick browse of the internet suggests the valves are a bit rattly anyway, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this specific symptom. It does this in gear while moving and in neutral when stationary.

I’ve not had a chance to look under the bonnet in daylight hours yet to pinpoint the noise, but thought I’d get some insights before I do.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
    Last edited by Jsa274; 27-12-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Engine is non turbo

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Nothing obvious or common springs to mind immediately from your initial description. A video would possibly assist the combined fault-finding!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Yes as Nev says,without footage we really can't say...

Name
    Jamie
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks for your input, I'll get a recording this weekend.

Name
    Jamie
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

1F7F54BE-E08F-4F38-A601-AD25CCCB3560.MOV

29F9DFCB-20C4-4CAD-AC66-4E3305468539.MOV

C2BE5602-5505-415C-81C9-AA1CA13EA360.MOV

Excuse the background noise, poor lighting and ropey sound quality. Hard to make out the sound I’m trying to record to be honest.
    Last edited by Jsa274; 28-12-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds like it could be the hydraulic lash adjusters. They can tick a little.

Have you checked the oil level recently?

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds exactly the same as mine did, the slow "tsch tsch tsch" at idle is the fuel system vacuum solenoid if memory serves?

Name
    Jamie
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

Quick update, the engine took roughly 300ml of oil, and the ~2000rpm noise is still there with zero throttle. Could it be injector or ignition related?

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Are you sure its not a bearing noise? idler bearing, alternator or PS pump rattle?
    Has it had new belts recently? If changed without doing the idler bearing, that can sometimes cause a rattling noise.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Jamie
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Are you sure its not a bearing noise? idler bearing, alternator or PS pump rattle?
    Has it had new belts recently? If changed without doing the idler bearing, that can sometimes cause a rattling noise.
    I think the belts were done three years ago, I'd have to check the history whether this included the pulleys and tensioners - I know pulleys and tensioners are considered run-to-fail by Mitsubishi dealers (at least by the one I spoke to), rather than just change the whole lot with the belts... Alternator bearing is a good call as well.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by master_of_disaster View Post
    I think the belts were done three years ago, I'd have to check the history whether this included the pulleys and tensioners - I know pulleys and tensioners are considered run-to-fail by Mitsubishi dealers (at least by the one I spoke to), rather than just change the whole lot with the belts... Alternator bearing is a good call as well.
    Remove the alternator belt then start it up, as it will remove that from the equation. Or confirm it!

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by master_of_disaster View Post
    Hi Jamie,any luck yet mate...???

Name
    Jamie
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by martin71 View Post
    Hi Jamie,any luck yet mate...???
    Hi Martin, no not got to the bottom of it yet. Confused was kind enough to give it a look over last weekend, nothing glaringly obvious as to the cause. All the usual valvetrain area noise sources were ruled out and otherwise the engine runs very well, which is reassuring.

The cam belt renewal was just the belt and water pump, no evidence it came with any pulleys or tensioners.

The fact the noise only happens on zero throttle at ~2000RPM falling/freewheeling probably rules out anything belt related, it would be noisy irrespective of throttle position if it was.

Trying to recreate the symptom is difficult statically, so the only way to really have a go at pinpointing the noise would be a rolling road.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Jamie popped over at the weekend, was lovely to meet him and have a chat and a look around the car.

I couldn't spot anything obvious! The engine, apart from 1 or 2 lifters making an occasional little "tick", is as smooth as I've seen! Body work also seems very sound, a small bubbling on one rear arch, which will need to be caught before it goes too much further, and a small patch of damaged paint on the slam panel under the bonnet with some surface rust, but other than that, short of sticking my head underneath (which I didn't do!), it seems to be a very tidy and clean car, and seems to have been well looked after in the past!

Inside, on a road test, there's fewer rattles & creaks than my in-law's 2013 Fiesta! With the radio & air-con off, there is a *tiny*, barely audible rasp on deceleration at around 2000rpm, which seems to be coming from around the glovebox area - my thought was maybe a wiring/trim clip has come away/broken, which is allowing a small harmonic vibration at that engine speed, or possible the fuel tank vent purge solenoid, which usually activates under light/no throttle and around 2000 RPM...

I'd love my Legnum to be that quiet and smooth!! Well, maybe once I've pulled it to bits and replaced every broken clip & cable-tied it to within an inch of its life, it may be!

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Jamie popped over at the weekend, was lovely to meet him and have a chat and a look around the car.

I couldn't spot anything obvious! The engine, apart from 1 or 2 lifters making an occasional little "tick", is as smooth as I've seen! Body work also seems very sound, a small bubbling on one rear arch, which will need to be caught before it goes too much further, and a small patch of damaged paint on the slam panel under the bonnet with some surface rust, but other than that, short of sticking my head underneath (which I didn't do!), it seems to be a very tidy and clean car, and seems to have been well looked after in the past!

Inside, on a road test, there's fewer rattles & creaks than my in-law's 2013 Fiesta! With the radio & air-con off, there is a *tiny*, barely audible rasp on deceleration at around 2000rpm, which seems to be coming from around the glovebox area - my thought was maybe a wiring/trim clip has come away/broken, which is allowing a small harmonic vibration at that engine speed, or possible the fuel tank vent purge solenoid, which usually activates under light/no throttle and around 2000 RPM...

I'd love my Legnum to be that quiet and smooth!! Well, maybe once I've pulled it to bits and replaced every broken clip & cable-tied it to within an inch of its life, it may be!
    It was well looked after by yours truly glad it's still in the club.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk