I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Question Back in Jap!

Still a few names around here that I recognise...

After my Galants I had a Honda Accord tourer for 5 years, then a Volvo V70 for 5 years.

But now we're back in Jap.... in fact, in two!

Car number 1 has LED headlamps, 360 degree cameras, front and rear heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

Car number 2 has LED headlamps, rear camera, front and rear heated seats, three-zone climate and a heads-up display.

Neither is diesel. Put both together and they have 6 cylinders and 450bhp, and total tax for both is £155 per year (on 2018/19 rates). One is RWD, one is FWD. Both are on '15 plates. Neither is a mitsubishi. Both are Japanese brands, but only one was actually built in Japan.

Answers on a postcard (or at least, on a forum...). Except for confused, who already knows the answers
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Err..... A Honda Civic and a Hyundai Ioniq?

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Nil point!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Ooooh!

Nissan Leaf
    Lexus GS450h

Opening guesses, anyway!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Wow... 2 for 2. Congrats! you win....nothing! well played though. How have you been?

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Well, Nev killed that bit of fun didn't he!

Welcome back Isaac. It's pretty quiet around here now.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Haha awesome!

Quite a contrasting pair there! How are the modern contraptions?

We've been well, keeping calm and carrying on as normal. Hope you guys are good!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Thanks guys.

I really thought my clues were a bit more cryptic than that.... doh.

The GS it's too early to tell - we've had it a week, and it's not currently insured to drive. I drove it a couple of miles on test drive, vince got to drive it 270 miles back from exeter. First signs are excellent though... It's built to a level beyond anything I've had before, and better than my dad's old BMW 740iL. Way ahead of the Volvo or anything else. Suspension engineering is magnificent - seriously solid double-wishbone front end, multi-link back, mostly in aluminium and with adaptive dampers.

The Leaf is interesting. I liken it to my old Canon EOS D30 (not 30D.... the very first 3MP canon CMOS sensored SLR). It was a terrible camera compared to my EOS 3 (bad AF, metering, framerate, viewfinder), but the digital side was good enough that it made obvious that film was dead. Similarly the Leaf isn't a very good car - it's cheaply built with hard plastics, thin glass, "I-can't-believe-it's-not-Leather" and with very rudimentary mac strut front end, torsion beam rear suspension. However, the EV drivetrain is so good, even in lowly 80kW form (110hp), that it's so clearly the way forward. For what I mostly use it for, driving 25 miles round trip each day to/from work and popping into town/shops/etc it is brilliant (and costs about 3p per mile to fuel, but our local supermarket has a free rapid charger too). I've subsequently driven a Tesla S which is mind-bending (and sat in a Model 3 in Palo Alto, which moves the game on so ridiculously far it isn't funny - BMW's new G20 3 series is about 10 years out of date, even if they released an all-electric version tomorrow).

The GS is probably our last ICE (internal combustion engine) car, and it drives much more like an electric (linear acceleration without gearshifts, no turbo lag to overcome).

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice!

Both seem to be good choices for a particular role. Is the Leaf the newer model?

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

No, it's the ugly duckling. In fact, if you look carefully you'll see it reflected on the side of the GS!

Strange thing with the leaf is we've had it 14 months now, and its value has actually increased by about £500 over what was paid for it (supply of electric cars is way behind demand right now). I'd very much like a better EV, but this will do for now.

Despite being the lowly 24kWh version, we did drive it down to Exeter and back to get the GS. I don't think I'll do that again though.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Heh. Vicky is on the periphery of a project at the moment where they are taking one of those apart and 3D imaging it with a view to recycling the magnets and batteries etc on a commercial scale. They all had a play with it before dismantling began and Vicky said she would happily own one - I can see us looking at EVs in a couple of years when we change her car.

I've been keeping an eye on Electric Vans but the prices for a full size van is prohibitive for me at the moment. There is an LDV for example that is listed at around £60k! I can get a new equivalent diesel for not much over £20k. Not much choice really.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    20-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I drive a i3 every day to work and it’s great wouldn’t want to drive a diesel car now, one pedal press and go release it and it brakes for you once you get used to it don’t need to touch brake pedal.
    I still have a diesel car but my youngest son uses it and I do still drive it but between the i3 and the VR4 best of both worlds

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Driving an EV is quite different, and FAR nicer.

The Leaf has 110bhp - about the same as an n/a 1.6 if you could find one anymore - however, up to 40mph or so it will show a clean pair of heels to the V70 (225bhp, 470Nm twin-turbo diesel), and most cars. However, it's not just off-the-line performance, but it's things like lane changes, roundabouts, etc where instead of either having to change gear, or wait for an autobox downshift, and then get some boost to build torque etc you just have all the torque available instantly. Very much a case of the on-paper figures not reflecting the reality of the situation. Also because EV acceleration is front-loaded (fastest from 0, but tails off at higher speeds, whereas many ICE are just getting into their stride at 30-50mph) means that although the 0-60 time may not be great, the distance covered by the time you get to 60 is greater. In the cut-and-thrust of urban traffic (aka traffic lights grand prix), that's the key.

The market for EVs as second cars for 2 car families is huge - very rare that anyone drives their school run/commute/shopping car more than 80 miles in a day so there's no issue with the short range of early cars. However, range issues are totally overblown in most people's minds as an issue. For most people there are not that many days were you drive more than 100 miles in a day (of course some sales reps etc do - but most people don't). I've driven 150 miles to my mother's house with a grand total of 21 minutes of rapid charging en route - took over 4 hours due to traffic, and pee&coffee stops in a normal car would have totalled 10 minutes anyway, so the extra 11 minutes isn't exactly burdensome for the savings (on that 300 mile round trip, about £55).

Even that, though, will go away - as 200-300 mile ranges become commonplace (and they are doing - the shortest range current EV model on sale is the 40kWh leaf that can do 150-175 miles, and then there are VERY few trips where you'd need a public charge. People often conveniently forget that an EV can be full each morning, sat on your driveway - if you spend 4 hours a day driving (and again, very very few of us do) then there's still 20 hours of the day when it can charge without bothering you at all.

As for vans, there's only one serious electric van right now, but it is a smaller model - the Nissan eNV200. Conversions (like the Edison transit, etc) are to be avoided!

Name
    john
    Last Online
    20-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Other drivers look at EV cars as milk floats, but in traffic they leave a lot of other car drivers just looking at the back of my car.
    great fun when I can, mine has about 160 bhp so about the same as a v6 Galant n/a but that’s from 0 to 90

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by I-S View Post
    As for vans, there's only one serious electric van right now, but it is a smaller model - the Nissan eNV200. Conversions (like the Edison transit, etc) are to be avoided!
    Not big enough for me. And the bigger ones are expensive or not yet released. And likely the not yet released ones will be more expensive!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Well, the Leaf is now up for sale.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Run out? You can recharge it, you know!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Oh indeed.

Must say I've found it utterly inconvenient never having to go to a petrol station, or hand over a huge chunk of money when doing so. Really been missing that. In winter getting into a car that was already pre-heated was just annoying, I really felt left out when not shivering for the first 10 minutes of a drive like everyone else. Getting free fuel at my local supermarket has been really burdensome, and annoying the local yoof in their GTIs has gotten old. Instant, predictable torque without lag or kickdown is nothing to write home about, nor the smooth relaxing behaviour in a queue of traffic. No, it will never catch on.

So, since you destroyed it before, see how many seconds it takes Nev this time...

The Leaf's replacement will have:
    LED headlamps
    Only front heated seats (edit: meaning that only the front seats have heating, not that it only has front seats)
    £320 VED
    Less power than the Lexus
    Faster 0-60 than the Lexus
    18" wheels with the exact same tyre size as the Lexus.
    Not Japanese
    Not FWD
    Not Diesel
    Last edited by I-S; 07-05-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmmmm, not sure... I feel I'm close with the BMW 535i M-Sport F10 saloon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast