Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious rust found - what are my options?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Serious rust found - what are my options?

I bought a Mitsubishi legnum vr4 in blue from a forum member, it had a mot with 0 advisories, I paid £3000 for the car, he told me after I asked a few times about it's condition that he'd been done over himself in the past and that he would never do it to anyone else, so I paid travel down to London, £3000, for the car, lot's of money on bits like fuel mixture gauge, idle stepper, brembos brakes etc, £260 for two rear tyres, (that have covered about 40 miles if that?

To say I'm gutted is an understatement, how someone can just **** someone over like that and not be arsed baffles me, I couldn't do it, that is why the car will have to be scrapped.

The rear subframe is so rotten it's non existent, that has never happened being parked on my drive way for 12 month's, I purchased it last January, with fresh mot, there are other rust spots along the car which are not really bad to be honest, both front arches around the suspension legs have rusted through, emission are too high, really bad oil leak at the front of the engine, I will try and upload a few pictures I managed to take while it was on the ramps.

20190115_143317.jpg

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

I really like the car and want to keep it but can't afford to, what would anyone else do? Are sub frames available to buy? I think that's the worst part

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Lee,

Just a heads-up, I'm going to change the title of this thread...

That said, it does look like the MOT might not have been genuine if that's the level of corrosion that was present underneath at the time of purchase. However - most of that is visible without getting the car on a ramp, and by poking your head up under the front/rear/sides, which could have been done at the side of the road when it was purchased - it sounds like this check wasn't undertaken prior to purchase?

If you are truly concerned about the validity of that MOT certificate, you can contact VOSA and report the MOT station that issued the pass.

From the date of registration (freely available on the DVLA vehicle lookup) it was first registered in the UK in August 2000, it looks like it's been in the country for a long time - and looks like it hasn't been adequately protected from the UK roads.

The rear subframe is removable, and therefore replaceable - if otherwise the car is OK, I would also use this opportunity to clean up, rust-convert and properly protect the underneath. Some of the other "bad" bits, such as the petrol tank cover and heat shields above the exhaust aren't structural.

I will need to remind you that whilst the purchase was made and agreed with another user of Club VR4's forum, the resulting transaction was completed as a private matter between yourself and the seller, and therefore Club VR4 can not advise or intervene in this. My personal opinion is that your best course of action if you wish to take it further would be to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureaux in the first instance to understand your rights in this private transaction.

Overall... this sucks, as it's not nice to think of another vehicle potentially heading off the road, especially given the circumstances.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sub frame can be swapped. It's not that bad a job either. The front strut towers will be more difficult but several others have done them.

Other items you have mentioned - oil leak, emissions etc are easy to sort and could well be due to it standing.

Bad luck bud.

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Ouch. Painful to see that Lee.
    As others have mentioned, If you have the patience a lot can be fixed up. I would see about pulling the old subframe and having a really close look underneath with your MOT tester to see what needs doing. Then you can source a subframe and know your costs (and what you might do yourself!)

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

My partner said how much will it cost to repair I said well about £2000 minim9for a full paint job and a few hundred quid more for fuel tank cover and subframe plus fuel and brakes lines which are easy, she said well jeep it and repair it.

Where would I even start to look for a subframe? Second hand scares me as how long will not last?

There is a good powder coasters near me that I have used so I'd get it blasted and coated for £30 and the fuel tank shield as well, other bits like fuelling etc n sway bar links don't bother me that comes with owning other cars, I've just ordered this morning drilled and grooved evo disks with mintex pads and stainless hoses for the full brembo set up I have,

If i can I will keep the car and try n get it like new with the proper protection it needs to survive our weather

Name
    john
    Last Online
    20-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry to see this Lee hope you can sort it out.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

be aware that rust like that will have affected much of the underside. The rear subframe mounting points are not easy to see in place and they may well be shot so the floor of the car may also need attention.

It's always buyer beware when conducting a private sale and it appears to be a painful lesson.
    I do hope you are able to repair the car without spending too much on it.

The rear subframe part number is identical across the Legnum and Galant VR4. There is a Galant being broken here which may be a source - https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...ar-parting-out
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Thank you for the replies, I've posted on the post about stripping the galant for the rear subframe, I'm still searching Google just in case one is available from another club or forum etc, I'd like a new one, if they don't cost the earth.

Realistically if I strip the car inside and out how much would I be looking at for a full respray? I'm talking no engine, suspension, wheels or anything on it, put on the trailer lifted off at the garage n put on a spit, saving them all the stripping and rebuilding work.
    Last edited by Layton1985; 16-01-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    06-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I had my car quoted for wrapping in some pearlescent colour for £1000 by a local reputable company - that’s not including the bonnet as I didn’t want the bonnet wrapped. Could be a more affordable option

Only prep work to be done before handing it over was to make sure it’s very clean using some particular wrap friendly soap which they sold, and to make sure the body work was smooth, so they said to sand any imperfections, and smooth out with filler in some of the bad spots (like the bottom of my front bumper which has scraped many speed bumps!).
    Last edited by ATatar; 16-01-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Professional bodger!

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

If you totally strip and clean the car before it goes to them (windows and all) i imagine it will not be a particularly expensive job to get a full respray, its probably the best way to send it to a body shop for work too, or as a rolling chassis only. best find local companies and get their input.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

I will, look around for quotes, I think at the minute I'm going to let the insurance run out and sorn the car, I'll leave it on my driveway until I've finished the twins bedroom and hall, stairs and landing being all rewired and plastered, decorated, carpeted etc, got a lot going on at the minute,

Thanks for the input guys if anyone knows where I could get a new or good used rear subframe that would be great

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    21-06-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Layton1985 View Post
    Thank you for the replies, I've posted on the post about stripping the galant for the rear subframe, I'm still searching Google just in case one is available from another club or forum etc, I'd like a new one, if they don't cost the earth.
    eBay "666damned" that's his user I think. He has 80% of the car listed. Might be already up on there.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Thank you Instagram, I have just messaged him,

Dies anyone know if sub frames from other cars fit? On another forum they say the Mitsubishi talon, eclipse as we know it, is a direct fit? Also someone mentioned a suv that should fit also, are there any UK cars that share the same subframe as the galant/legnum?
    Also has anyone made a plastic fuel tank cover to replace the rusty old ones? Surely more and more galant/legnum will be going to the scrap yard soon as they are starting to reach that age? Could benefit a lot of us? If the dimension are known for the rear subframe I might be able to get one made from stainless steel, maybe make a few, metal isn't that expensive and I'm sure my boss won't charge me a lot if at all for the fabrication lads to knock one up? I'll just have to buy materials, worth a thought, be sad to see the cars completely disappear soon because we can't get parts

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

Someone has offered me a rear subframe from a galant pfl, will it fit my legnum vr4 2000 reg? If so I will purchase it and have it stripped and powder coated ready for repairs work in a few month's time

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Remember the VR4 is 4 wheel drive and has a rear diff, standard Galant are front wheel drive and there may be differences. (better to double check)
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

The part number MR223565 is the same acros the PFL and FL Legnum and Galant VR4.

Maybe worth asking Viamoto.co.uk if they are available new. A call to a Mitsi dealer is worth a try as well. I reckon it'll be a few hundred quid for a new one if they are still available.

Name
    mark
    Last Online
    09-04-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    MANUAL SUPER

Tbh id strip all the bad parts off first before buying anything else for it.
    Majority of rust repair will turn out to be a bigger job than expected once stripping parts starts.
    The rust you cant see is going to be the biggest issue.
    May turn out to be cheaper to buy a new shell
    possibly the clubs first manual super

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast