glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

gearbox transfer box help

hi all, my auto box has had an issue and im having trouble getting parts, (direct planetary) so ive found an evo gearbox, w5m51, im just wondering if I can bolt this on apart from the out of alignment hole which needs work, and then put my auto transfer box on it? I have got a n/a manual fwd galant to get all the other parts from, im just unsure as to whether or not I can just add my transfer box an and have it drive properly? anyone who could shed light on this would be my hero

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Transfer box are the same auto and manual
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

brilliant, thanks for your help

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You will need a lay shaft that fits between the transfer box and near side driveshaft. It slides through the gearbox, connecting the nearside front driveshaft to the front diff in the transfer box. It is shorter than the automatic gearbox part.

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Do you know the part number for it ? Also do you know if I can just cut it down ? Had to ask lol

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to either of those questions. The auto one will fit and work, but the green cup for the inner cv joint on the passenger side doesn't quite fit into the seal on the gearbox, so the gearbox oil slowly seaps past. I don't know if cutting it down will work as it has spring clips at both ends, so you might not succeed in anything except reducing the spline length.

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I'll have a look when I've got it out, might be able to relocate the c clip too,, I have access to a lathe, I have a really odd question, I've got an evo box to put in it, I'm assuming the final drive is different, if I just drop it in but used the original transfer box will all 4 wheels turn at the same speed ?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The final drive is probably different but it doesn't matter. The rear diff ratio undoes what the transfer box does, so the final drive is set in the gearbox before all the diffs. Centre diff is in the gearbox, front in the transfer box and rear is obvious!
    If you know which evo box you have you can work out the ratios with google but very few if any had our 4.11 final drive. It just means you will be shorter geared, so no big problem.

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I know which box I have, I haven't looked into the ratios tbh I just want to bolt it on an get the car going again, then I can deal with any drama later, emo I have a semi major issue, now I have the auto box out, ive offered up the plate from the engine an a lot of the holes don't line up, I thought it was just one that didn't line up! transfer case fits nice, just unsure as to how to progress with lining it up now, any help would be appreciated, I also pm'd you last week about one of your kits, do you know if any pics exist of the evo box bolted onto a legnum? my box is w5m511x7auq3904 it came out of an evo 4 but doesn't seem to line up

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Not sure if will be of any use but have a look at this post - https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...l=1#post775413

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

That's brill thanks, not sure anyone will have a bell housing sitting around so I'm gonna have a go at makin it fit, does anyone know if putting the bottom bolts that fit in, will actually leave the output central with the flywheel ?

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

thanks for all your replies, I have another noob question, which bit is the final drive, I feel like its a gear and a shaft, ill assume the shaft wont swap out from the auto box but can I swap out the final drive gear from an auto box without the corresponding shaft ? the gear ratios of my evo box on my legnum are hilariously short! im swapping the clutch this next week so I was gonna open the auto box an the manual an see if I could swap the final drive basic questions are

if I find the final drive gear and swap just the gear and not the corresponding shaft what is likely to be the outcome ? is there a way to find out gear ratios ? I have a manual v6 24v front wheel drive box sitting around, but I also don't know if thatll work or how to work out final drive on that ! any help would be appreciated, im a total noob with gearbox things