Iftekhar
    Last Online
    05-12-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Galant VR4

First Post Acceleration Issues

Hi everybody this is my first, forgive me if i am doing any thing wrong. So I just got a vr4 8th gen. Just had the engine oil changed only. The acceleration seems slow I am comparing with some of the YouTube videos and Wikipedia (i.e. 5.7 Seconds for 0-100 KM/H).

What I Know

It is a preface lift because it has the low contrast speedometer and an external ATF Filter.

Current Fuel Consumption without AC

5 KM/L

Known Mods : Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (Drawing 6 amps when not under load 7.1 amps when under load)
    Tire Size : 225/60/16

I am putting links to my videos. Hope you guys could take the time out and see them. Looking forwards to your remarks.

I am using the auto mode in all the video. I dont know why but in the seconds video the gear change delay is a lot

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q5...6vKg4X9dETVMaX
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PB..._HxwGLfoNd_dwH
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YU...5Zp7dUQfiL3FJG

Regards
    Last edited by iftekhar.frt; 09-02-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    14-09-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

has it been de-limited?...imports are restricted to 112 mph....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Iftekhar
    Last Online
    05-12-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Galant VR4

I have no idea ... still new with car. The videos are the fastest I have been yet 170 kph

Would that impact acceleration ?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Unless it's had a clock change, that is an early facelift Type-V. No AYC, lo-vis dash.

Boost looks about right for stock. The economy seems a little low, but not massively if being used around town, etc. What octane fuel are you using? What condition is the ATF in? There could be a small boost leak somewhere. The spark plugs may not be in the best shape (especially the rear bank as they sometimes get 'missed').

The speed limiter will not be affecting it. And it only starts kicking in past 180kmh.

If all service items are good and high octane fuel is being used, it should be fairly quick. Rolling road is a good diagnostic tool, as they can also monitor the AFR readings. Or you can install your own wideband for monitoring AFRs, very advisable if you turn up the boost - which is the easiest way to get a noticeable increase in power and especially torque. Conditions can affect matters, but you can usually get up to 14-15psi before hitting fuel cut.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Iftekhar
    Last Online
    05-12-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Galant VR4

Apologies for not mentioning that I also changed all 6 copper plugs gapped at 8 ... some other thing that I noticed

1) there is no catalytic converter
    2) no oxygen sensor ( should a pre facelift have it )?
    3) the car seems to bog down on every gear change
    4) without the boost acceleration is close to nothing
    5) at ilde in D the rpm are 600 ish. ( I feel that there is some misfiring at this stage)
    6) at idle in N the rpm are 1100

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by iftekhar.frt View Post
    2) no oxygen sensor ( should a pre facelift have it )?
    This is a problem, the ecu can't determine the fueling without an oxygen sensor.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Copper plugs will be fine, although will not last terribly long! Standard spec are platinums, but coppers are fine if you're happy to change them regularly. 0.8mm is the correct gap

Lack of cat is not an issue, in fact it should run a little better. Lack of O2 sensor is. All VR-4s have one in the downpipes just before the cat (or decat pipe). It is probably overfuelling massively and if it is indeed absent, I suspect may be the cause of your issues!

Name
    Iftekhar
    Last Online
    05-12-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Copper plugs will be fine, although will not last terribly long! Standard spec are platinums, but coppers are fine if you're happy to change them regularly. 0.8mm is the correct gap

Lack of cat is not an issue, in fact it should run a little better. Lack of O2 sensor is. All VR-4s have one in the downpipes just before the cat (or decat pipe). It is probably overfuelling massively and if it is indeed absent, I suspect may be the cause of your issues!
    So can you help me. I have no idea were to start .. There is a straight pipe No Holes For Screwing in the o2 sensor. But what worries me most is that there are no electrical connectors for the o2 sensor.

will this work as the 02 sensor? https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Mitsub.../dp/B004U0RQL2

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

The O2 sensor part number is MD189008. Do a google search to see if you can get one using that reference number.

The plug for the O2 sensor is behind the front passenger footwell inner kick panel. Removing this panel will also expose the ECUs. Its a white 4 pin oblong plug.