Stuart
    Last Online
    26-10-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Vr4

Cooling system help

Hi I’ve been chasing leaks around my engine for months I fix one a hose pops some where else so do that one and pop you can see where I’m going anyway I’ve now noticed my system is draining slowly and I can see it dripping down just user bottom pulley and wanted to know if there is any hoses the cam belt side of the engine or could this possibly be my pump or could there be another culprit
    Also found a wire dangling around between the pulleys and also found a sensor/switch next to it which it must go to just not sure what it is if anyone can shed some light on that too?
    Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Very likely to be the pump. Wire I'd either the cam or crank sensor. There are two plugs for those on the inlet manifold , grey and black usually

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Ask a simple question, never receive an answer these days

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The wire could also be the oil pressure switch wire?

The overflow bottle for the coolant is over that side too.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-10-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Vr4

It’s been running ok but noticed it smelt a bit fuely earlier but might not have anything to do with it
    I only noticed wire as trying to feel where water was coming from!
    I suppose it might be crank sensor as it’s between the crank and the aircon I think (More towards front of engine side of crank!
    Oh Shute I was hoping it wasn’t gonna be the pump! is there anywhere else it could be coming from that side of engine?
    And if it is pump could that just keep dripping and empty most of rad and overflow bottle?
    Cheers guys

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Pretty sure if it was a cam or crank sensor wire hanging freely, the engine wouldn't be running? So I'd go with Nick here and suggest that it's the oil pressure switch.

And my experience of coolant getting blown out of the overflow is that it disappears very quickly, whereas the leaky water pump tends to drip onto the floor. My concern would now be getting it done asap, as this usually means that pump failure/seizure is not far away, and is much worse!

Has the cambelt been done recently? It'll be wise to change that and the other belts too if the water pump needs changing.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-10-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Pretty sure if it was a cam or crank sensor wire hanging freely, the engine wouldn't be running? So I'd go with Nick here and suggest that it's the oil pressure switch.

And my experience of coolant getting blown out of the overflow is that it disappears very quickly, whereas the leaky water pump tends to drip onto the floor. My concern would now be getting it done asap, as this usually means that pump failure/seizure is not far away, and is much worse!

Has the cambelt been done recently? It'll be wise to change that and the other belts too if the water pump needs changing.
    Yeah I think it is the oil sensor but never had a light come on or anything!?
    Just another thing on the list to be checked
    I don’t think it’s getting blown out of it but is definitely dripping out slowly onto my under tray from below my pulleys
    The cam belt was apparently done not long before I bought it but no proof so I wanted to get it done anyway but my tensioners started to make noise recently so it was on my to do list but with my hoses keep splitting kinda put it back a bit now a lil worried it might be pump making noise but defo ordering parts to get it done replacing all belts and tensioners and water pump thermostat etc wanted to do whole service so was gonna get everything and do it all at same time but may have to do it in stages!
    Not sure how hard it is to do cambelts etc so any info or guides will be appreciated
    Cheers

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

If that sensor is unplugged, the light does not illuminate.

I arranged to have the cambelt done on mine by the importer's UK agent but they insisted that the waterpump wouldn't need doing. One year later on my first MoT test, it started leaking while on the ramp! I had the whole lot done again at that point. It is doable, but isn't a short job. However, there is a full guide in the members' area

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-10-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    If that sensor is unplugged, the light does not illuminate.

I arranged to have the cambelt done on mine by the importer's UK agent but they insisted that the waterpump wouldn't need doing. One year later on my first MoT test, it started leaking while on the ramp! I had the whole lot done again at that point. It is doable, but isn't a short job. However, there is a full guide in the members' area
    That wasn’t good then!
    I’ve been meaning to do mine for a while but my car was literally being used on a weekend but not even every one either but now having to use car all time I really need to sort it!
    I’ve just noticed there is a hydraulic tensioner as well which is very pricey just hope mine is ok!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

There is a test you can do on the hydraulic tensioner to see if it is still in spec, I think. Can't recall exactly what, but think it is also in the cambelt guide, or at least the workshop manual.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hydraulic tensioner is usually ok, just needs the piston to be pressed back in and held with a bit of wire till in position, then wire removed.
    You can get a timing belt kit from Viamoto, with timing belt, tensioner pulley and idler pulley.
    You can also get a kit with the alternator belt, and power steering belt and puylley's.
    And the water pump!.
    It is one of those jobs that makes sense to do it all at once as it all has to come off to get to the water pump!.
    You also have to remove the drivers side engine mount to get to one of the water pump bolts!!!!!!, pain in the ass!.

https://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail...alant+VR4+EC5A

https://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail...+VR4+EC5W+EC5A

The leak sounds like the water pump, not much else in that area, and when my water pump went, it was a slow drip from that side at the crank pulley.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-10-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Hydraulic tensioner is usually ok, just needs the piston to be pressed back in and held with a bit of wire till in position, then wire removed.
    You can get a timing belt kit from Viamoto, with timing belt, tensioner pulley and idler pulley.
    You can also get a kit with the alternator belt, and power steering belt and puylley's.
    And the water pump!.
    It is one of those jobs that makes sense to do it all at once as it all has to come off to get to the water pump!.
    You also have to remove the drivers side engine mount to get to one of the water pump bolts!!!!!!, pain in the ass!.

https://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail...alant+VR4+EC5A

The leak sounds like the water pump, not much else in that area, and when my water pump went, it was a slow drip from that side at the crank pulley.
    Ok cool thankyou for the info about the hydraulic tensioner and pain in ass mount! There is always at least one thing! but I will have a look when it’s stripped if it needs replacing I will just do it!
    Was always my plan to do it all at same time plus was gonna do a full service too already got the rocker cover gaskets a while back as they are leaking! but having it starting to get worse has brought it a bit further forward then I’d of liked so not got as much cash saved as I’d like so stages it will be!
    But I ordered all belts and tensioners and pump, thermostat this morning it’s been a hell of a long time since I done a cambelt but guess I just got to get stuck in there!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Cam belt instructions in the club site somewhere.
    Get some bulldog clips or a cam lock (something that holds the timing pulleys in the same place), as when the timing marks are aligned, they are just on the top of a cam, so just as you get it in position it clicks over and you need to pull it back.
    It is a real pain job to do.
    There are layers of things that you have to move that are nothing to do with the timing belt!.
    You need to loosen the AC compressor mount to get to the drivers side engine mount bolts, to get to the one!, water pump housing bolt!
    (what would you design anything like that??? lol!)

best to do it all while you are there, and avoid it for a few years.