Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Please need advice...No clutch

Afternoon all,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a warm fuzzy feeling about my problem. I was driving home from Ice Hockey and i went to change gear and it would not go into gear. Slowed down and reduced revs and tried again but still would not go it. Pulled up and could select all gears and i was able to get going again with a bit of a horrible noise but at least moving. Cant remember if i stayed in gear as it was only a short distance till i dropped off my mate but had to stall engine to stop it. Now, with engine running i cannot select a gear at all so i pushed it off his drive and selected third and got the car going on the starter motor...with a little push. Luckily it was 0130 and there was not traffic as i was not stopping for anything, even changed my route home for preferential junctions.

Had a look over her yesterday and i have fluid in the master cylinder and when operating the pedal the push rod operates onto the clutch. Read up on forum and says its an ass to bleed so tried to do that with a normal bleed kit. Got some air but now pedal goes to the floor but the push rod still moves. Pedal doesnt feel right, it likes its not moving enough on the pedal.

So my question is, is it likely just air in the system? My thinking is that due to the rod moving on the slave that the master and slave cylinder must be working. I am considering removing the damper unit and replacing it with the pipe from the EVO (part no 2348A038, hopefully viamoto have them in stock).

Im a looking to do a proper 2 man bleed tomorrow morning before i spend money on parts just wondering what everyone thinks before i start spending.

Marc

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

For air to get in, fluid must be getting out. Do you have any signs of a leak? The other reason for loss of pressure is an internal leak in either the master or slave cylinder (this wouldn't allow air in)

I assume its been fine previously?

Can you select gears OK without the engine running?
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Hi tar,
    Yeah I can select without the engine running. Pedal hasn’t been great and occasionally first thing in the morning wouldn’t feel great but after a few presses would resume working. But always started working but hasn’t done it in a while.

Just in my limited understanding if it was a cylinder problem surely I would have not output

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Well did a bleed today and hasn’t cured it so buying a slave cylinder and the pipe to bypass the damper. Hopefully this will fix it

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

It's possible that its leaking internally past the seal. This could allow a certain amount of pressure but not enough to fully disengage the clutch. Hope your new parts resolve the issue.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

A poor pedal means either ir in the system, a dodgy hydraulic fluid seal in one of the cylinders or a buggered pressure plate.
    Vacuum bleading from the slave cylinder end is the best way to bleed in my opinion.

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Cheers Nick and TAR, yeah we are thinking that i get pressure to build up but as soon as it feels resistance within a cylinder it then bypasses the seal. Gone for the Cheapest and easiest to fit cylinder first.. Just waiting on spares now. Viamoto need to order me the pipe which is 5-8 days which is cool as i wont have time for the next few weekends anyway...Visiting relatives and an Ice Hockey tour to Toronto..

Really hoping its not a pressure plate...lol Thats a whole lot of work...

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I had this issue with my manual conversion, I went through a litre of fluid before I gave up, I went on ebay and got a braided clutch cable for an evo, u put it on an filled with fluid then let it run out at the slave banjo, then bled it, it took exactly one press to bleed, im just changing my clutch as something down there got ruined by standing water, im still driving it about but ive had to adjust the clutch pedal for more travel just to get the extra press on the pedal to be able to change gear while the engine is running, loads of people say you cant adjust these but its totally possible,

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Glyn, Cool i will look at that when i get the hose. Is that the evo hose that removes the Damper? Also where did you adjust it to get the extra travel?