Last Online
    14-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United States
    My Garage
    Visit

Transmission Leak ID Help (car at shop)

I have my PFL auto Legnum VR4 in the shop for trans leak. Got sent a video by the tech that is leading to two issues.

1. The tech believes there is a leak behind the top bolt in the bell housing. The bolt has a drip sitting on it but I?m not sure it?s capable of leaking there.

Does that make sense? Wondering if that?s just a mounting bolt and there?d need to be case cracking for it to weep fluid. I?m thinking that?s just splash from the leaking input seal? Thoughts? Does that input seal look half pushed out?

2. Where does the internal filter go? He pulled the pan off the trans and it?s just a valve body. Read something about removing the bell housing, is thus a simple or very complex issue? I have an external filter being changed as well, but with the box on the bench figured why not. Is it worth the effort?
    Last edited by Wakaba; 21-11-2023 at 07:20 PM.

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

Its possible that bolt isn't blind but goes into one of the hydraulic channels or something, hence oil can leak past it. Very common in a lot of US transmissions to have to seal bolts against this issue, not sure on the W5A51 if that is or isn't needed. might have been flung there, but given how tight it is once the torque converter is fitted id expect all to have a drip if it was the case. The internal filter is not in the valve pan, no. it is deeper inside, you should absolutely get it done while box is out plus check for the condition of the infamous wave spring plus the press fit 'axels'? for the planets which can come loose.

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    14-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United States
    My Garage
    Visit

Bolt exits external of the case. There was no leak when we pulled the bolt out, it?s all the input seal.

Shop is not excited about splitting the case to swap the filter. The real issue is I?ve got no time before the car needs to be stored up for winter. I?d rather not drive her the 1hr in salt and snow.

I?ll be doing the wave spring check, clutches and steels, and the planetary gear pin welding in the spring or summer. I?ll likely save my lunch-money and buy a used box, ship to a tuner and have the trans built to hold more power then I?ll see in my car. Then I can just swap and go.