Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Good luck getting any response from the Evoscan guy, the website hasn't been updated in ages, the links for images and diagrams are mostly broken and on many Mitsubishi forums I've read folks are complaining that they sent their payment and got no response. Unfortunately I believe the software needs a serial number from him to activate unless someone has made a crack for it. It may also be tied to certain cables; maybe others here can chime in with their knowledge.

As a last resort, can the stepper motor be manually turned to a roughly midway position and refitted without plugging it in? If so you could adjust the screw for an idle speed which doesn't stall, let the engine warm up fully then adjust it again for a suitable idle, then plug the stepper back in. Would that work?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have used my serial number on multiple machines over the years, and with different cables, so I don't think it's locked to a specific cable, or requires internet access to activate.

If getting hold of a new copy of EvoScan and a cable proves troublesome, then there are a few of us around who have the cable & software, off the top of my head there's myself in Nottinghamshire, @Davezj in Manchester, @foxdie and @Nick Mann in Birmingham - if any of us are nearby enough to meet up, we'd be happy to assist in getting your idle screw re-adjusted to the factory pre-set position to allow the stepper to work correctly.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
    Good luck getting any response from the Evoscan guy, the website hasn't been updated in ages, the links for images and diagrams are mostly broken and on many Mitsubishi forums I've read folks are complaining that they sent their payment and got no response. Unfortunately I believe the software needs a serial number from him to activate unless someone has made a crack for it. It may also be tied to certain cables; maybe others here can chime in with their knowledge.

As a last resort, can the stepper motor be manually turned to a roughly midway position and refitted without plugging it in? If so you could adjust the screw for an idle speed which doesn't stall, let the engine warm up fully then adjust it again for a suitable idle, then plug the stepper back in. Would that work?
    Hi Tony, yes the motor can be adjusted manually, thanks for the tip. Maybe I can warm it up, then adjust the stepper motor manually, then with it unplugged adjust the idle screw. Hopefully it works better now I have replaced the o-ring. I'm also going to a local community repair group on Saturday to have my MAF PCB repaired, how great is that!

P.S. do you know what it is that the stepper motor is moving?
    Last edited by CHESHIRECAT; 06-01-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    I have used my serial number on multiple machines over the years, and with different cables, so I don't think it's locked to a specific cable, or requires internet access to activate.

If getting hold of a new copy of EvoScan and a cable proves troublesome, then there are a few of us around who have the cable & software, off the top of my head there's myself in Nottinghamshire, @Davezj in Manchester, @foxdie and @Nick Mann in Birmingham - if any of us are nearby enough to meet up, we'd be happy to assist in getting your idle screw re-adjusted to the factory pre-set position to allow the stepper to work correctly.
    Thanks for the offer Garry. That's too kind. It will be a few weeks at least before I'm able to travel with the car unfortunately. I'm balls deep in few jobs on it at the moment, and once those are done I need some welding for the MOT.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

@CHESHIRECAT Doesn't the stepper just move a plunger which blocks or progressively opens an air duct? I haven't seen one from our cars but I remember the one on my 4G63T worked like that. Let us know how the MAF turns out.
    @Confused I would sometime like to try a copy of Evoscan, I have a cable I bought on Aliexpress for use on Carole's BMW so I that could use BMWscanner 1.40 which could do a couple of things more easily than INPA and the related software could. It worked fine and judging from the driver filename it looks to be a FTDI chipset so it might work with Evoscan if the software can be tricked by using a common activation code. However I've yet to find a copy anywhere to download as all links seem to have broken.
    Since Carole has now replaced the BMW (YAY!) with a 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander I do need to get some better Mitsi software going. I found a copy of one year's MUTIII software which I must try sometime with that cable, I also downloaded MMcodingwriter 2.3 since there are so many options which can be changed in the ETACS programming, hopefully that will work too.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, the stepper motor does move in/out to move a plunger, just as you describe. Whether you can manually move it to roughly the right position and adjust... it might get you closer, but I'd still try to do it properly!

Name
    simon
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant/legnum

Quote Originally Posted by CHESHIRECAT View Post
    Hi Tony, yes the motor can be adjusted manually, thanks for the tip. Maybe I can warm it up, then adjust the stepper motor manually, then with it unplugged adjust the idle screw. Hopefully it works better now I have replaced the o-ring. I'm also going to a local community repair group on Saturday to have my MAF PCB repaired, how great is that!

P.S. do you know what it is that the stepper motor is moving?
    Hi Steve,
    You could possibly give the old stepper a good spray with carb cleaner or wd40 to remove any sooty build up and put back on as it may have needed a clean rather than replace.
    I have included some images of my idle screw position (10-12 mm depth) which I realise is a wild stab in the dark but a rough position to work from and might be worth a try if the idling is awful at the moment anyway.
    Just thinking that trying both things together might at least get you close to what it was as your original fault might be in the MAF.
    Hope it helps and sorry if this isnt such great advice.IMG_20220106_105501_042.jpgIMG_20220106_105427_135.jpgIMG_20220106_105501_042.jpgIMG_20220106_105441_317.jpg

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Yes, the stepper motor does move in/out to move a plunger, just as you describe. Whether you can manually move it to roughly the right position and adjust... it might get you closer, but I'd still try to do it properly!
    It looks like there is a drive on the end of the stepper motor so I'm wondering if whatever that the stepper motor moves may be stuck. Does the plunger just move in and out or does it rotate?

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Commenting from a lack of actual knowledge here, but it is likely a worm drive kind of arrangement converting the rotary movement of the motor to linear movement of the plunger, it may not be movable by hand, @Confused will likely either confirm or correct that assumption. I wonder if it can be dismantled and cleaned out in case it is full of gunge from the EGR?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

There is no EGR on a VR-4, so the inlet actually stays pretty clean! It's only the crankcase breather that gets pulled back into the inlet pre-turbo.

I've given my spare throttle body & stepper motor to @foxdie only the other day, but maybe he can have a quick look at what happens to it when he has it on on the bench.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Oops, sorry!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234