Thread: Hi from Oz and if you can help me fix my car I will buy you beer..

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

Thumbs up Hi from Oz and if you can help me fix my car I will buy you beer..

Hi guys, I am the full time car giver to a disabled 23yr old ( 1997 Legnum). I do not receive any pay for this, rather it seems to cost me a lot..so the background..

I live in a remote area, so end up having to do most of my own mechanics, so someone MIGHT be able to help me.
    This is a two part problem.
    Issue 1) the Auto watch alarm key fobs were stuffed and I ordered new ones. Had to take half the dash out to read it off the unit..ordered them, and got the central locking ect programed, for love or money could NOT get the immobilizer programmed, So after much cursing, research I removed the entire loom, and replaced back to factory. its all still in place...

next issue..(its gets quite funny)

The mice this yr decided to build a nest in the engine bay, kinda in the manifold, I found this out when i started it, it ran like crap and I smelt smoke, turned it off, and found the "wee timours beasties" had chewed a lot plastic off the spark plug leads, exposing the wire..so..new spark plug leads..put them in (yeah isnt that fun..)

Im guessing something shorted out of the leads?? or could i have not reconnected a wire? check the looms all seems good.

now, i have ignition momentarily, and car does turn over, all though blows little square 30 amp fuse in the engine bay (key/ig?) but will not start. THIS CIRCUIT GETS WAY HOT. I have looked for the obvious shorts but cant find one.

all inside dash fuses seem okay, and have checked them a bunch of times even replaced the ones for ignition ect.

only other thing i could think of was starter relay, but bridged that, car turns, will not fire..so thats how im thinking coil..burnt out when the mice chewed the wire?

Then i was researching post on dif forums (yes i dont want to waste your time..) and found some references to COILS BEING BURNT OUT?? So before i go and fork out $300 for a auto elec..and $150 for a coil ?? any ideas there

Has anyone got a idea..common short area? coil burnt in the ON mode? must be a positive, i just cant find it.

Dam shame this beast only has 180K on it and is actually pretty nice, its a 1997 Legnum with the ralli art pack.

Cheers fellas..i think i will be more often ..as the car ages..AHAHAH

Matty

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Take each coilpack off and measure the resistance across them. Should in the region of 18kΩ. While everything is off though, as you could get nasty shock otherwise!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I can assist with the Autowatch alarm, I have done a good bit of research and have managed to use oil codes etc and reprogram remotes etc.
    What model is your alarm
    put up some photos of your car
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the club.

Do you get a spark if you take a spark plug out and ground it whilst cranking the engine? This would help to prove the coils.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

Cheers for the reply, I have a decent voltmeter, but Im not sure extactly where to try it ect..if you can give me a pointer, I will give it a shot..cheers bro..your first in line for beers!..much appreciated.

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

hey mate..cheers for your reply..mate I live in a remote area, and Im a farmer, so this beast HAS to go..I usually have a 50kg pig dog in the car if i go to town (no, not a aussie chick..) so im not worried about a alarm, but will put a kill switch in evetually..I go swimming ect and get the fob wet, or lose it..im stuffed..so i want NO PART of this alarm EVER again..so far im $250 down, and no have broken car, mainly due to the alarm..howwever..if i have to put it back together again to get the car going..i will..then drive it straight to a auto elec to get rid of it. basically i think its a 2007 416?premium..cheers bro.yeah i will put some pics up..when i get this beast going again..

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

Cheers bro, seems very freindly here! I like that..much appreciated. I cant do the spark plug trick, as it blows the fuse / super heats if i bridge it..so cant eve get that far. Well im going to look for a issue on the ignition line then to the battery...so god dam sick of this man. Been months now.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Can you post a picture of which fuse is blowing?

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Just checking you have removed all to the alarm and put the wiring back to normal, as wires will have been cut for the immobiliser, so the car may still not start once you have removed the alarm.

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Just checking you have removed all to the alarm and put the wiring back to normal, as wires will have been cut for the immobiliser, so the car may still not start once you have removed the alarm.
    Yeah mate..i took out the WHOLE LOOM for the alarm, and cliped it back into the factory one..

there are two small wires coming out of the ignition key area, not sure where they are supposed to go?? i cut them out of the alarm..its a VERY small balck wire, and seems to stop (length of cable) somewhere on the underside of the steering wheel coloum/ LH side of the coloum...

the central locking wires are still in place, but seeing this fuse/ line was shorting, BEFORE i too the alarm out, i think it could be more in the engine bay somewhere..which led me to think of coils..gunna try n test it today and will send some pics.

Im just a redneck whose done some engine work..elec stuff is not my gig!

Name
    Matty
    Last Online
    13-06-2020
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Can you post a picture of which fuse is blowing?
    Hye Mate cheers for the relpy..esp from a MOD! i feel loved..might need your help to get his sorted!

i will get a pic, but its the MICRO SQUARE FUSE 30 AMP for the key/ (top row of three) on the engine fuse box..centre row..

well its a rainy day here, so i will strap on the headtorch and see what i can find.. y gut tells me something isnt right with the new spark leads i put in, or along that side of things...wish i knew mate

hopefully with all your help i can get this beast going again..poor girl...I call her ..VALARIE

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Or check this link and post back here:
    https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...t=fuse+diagram

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

From your previous reply, I am guessing engine bay fuse 14, ignition? And from your previous posts I now suspect something is not right with the alarm wiring removal.