Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocate AYC pump in to the boot?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

relocate AYC pump in to the boot?

Anyonr ever thought of doing a relocation of APC pump into the boot. these guys do it EVO's so it can be any different for a VR4 and lets face it everybodies ATC pump is coroded to hell so if you refurb it or want it to last any more than a few more years why wounldl't you move it to the boot.

you could do it yourself for much less than they are charging all you need it the replacement flex fluid line and a couple of brackets.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Great idea but over 400 for a bit of bracket and couple of pipes is a joke, as suggested on youtube comments, just wrap your refurbed pump and leave it there
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

anything slung under the car with get wet and corrode it does not matter what you wrap it in. plus you have to make sure the heat can get for where the pump lives.
    the boot is the safest place. but if you have just spent almost 2k on a replacement pump relocation is good option.

but even if i have just refurbished an AYC pump it takes a while to do and it is a lot of effort. It will only be a couple of years before it is all crusty again if it under the car.

you could get a plastic food box, one of the type with a silicone seal and clip flaps and mount that under the car somehow and fit the pump inside that, but in reality a relocation to the boot is only the cost of the extended flex fluid line and so rubber isolation mounts and small metal plate. the loom could be extended quite easily.

my AYC pump is not working at the moment and needs a refurb so it would be an ideal time to do a relocation because the pump will be off the car anyway.
    might do a bit of googling for some extended flex lines.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

I have pump laying about waiting for refurb too, let me know where you get refurb kit from

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i am looking at few different kits but i am waiting to hear back from a guy that did a good refurb video. that one looks like it all the bits you need including the motor bearing and oil seal for the motor bearing.
    plus the orings, bolts and stainless steel plate.

the last time ilooked at refurb kits they were about £100. but now they seem a bit more resonable.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Dave, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to worry about cooling the AYC pump since it doesn't do a lot of work other than when the system is actually active. Even then, I think the fluid isn't stressed or really heated by much else other than perhaps a little bit of conduction through the diff casing/internals.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

That is a fair point nev. the pump does not run continuously.

i was looking at my pump the other day under the car and although i had cleaned the pump hanger a couple of years ago and treated the rust and cover the area with underseal it was still corroded to hell and the pump hanger is falling to bits.
    i am going to need to replace the pump hanger as will most people with 1998 and older cars. so why not protect the pump for good and not have to worry about it again.
    i have been watching some videos online of people who have rebuilt there pumps to working condition but you have to hack the pumps up a bit to get them apart, the refurb work is quite brutal which exposes parts of the pump which should be exposed to the elements. they have shown that if you just put the pump back in the same place in a couple of years the pump is back to square one needing a refurb.

so i think i am going to give it a go at some point when i refurb one of my AYC pumps.

i am surprised i have not moved the pump before now. it is probably situated in the worse position they could have placed it for corrosion issues. Bad mitsubishi, Bad mitsubishi.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The plastic tub option (or a stainless steel box if you're feeling flush!) is probably a decent shout. Or surely there's enough room in the rear wing where the reservoir is located?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    The plastic tub option (or a stainless steel box if you're feeling flush!) is probably a decent shout. Or surely there's enough room in the rear wing where the reservoir is located?
    i was thinking of the rear wing void as a possibility. but i a not sure how much space there actually is. my car is bit odd in this respect as i have a factory fit sub in the boot which means all the panels around that area have no openings in them, they are all covered by blanking plates to seal the sub box. i might look at removing the side storage tray in the back so the pump sits a bit lower and only need a small box putting over the top of it. as the starage tray is probably 2 or 3 inches deep to the floor of the car underneath the pastics.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

So is the sub extras have actually something more than a bracket for sub? @Davezj it will explain why just fitting speaker and plug it to amp give me horrible sound.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm with you on this Dave. I think relocation to the boot is a good idea to preserve the pump and extend it's life. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I'm with you on this Dave. I think relocation to the boot is a good idea to preserve the pump and extend it's life. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with
    It's definitely hit and miss - daren't touch my pump, but it's done 70,000 in the 12.5 years since import, and it's not even needed the adjustable switch yet. It has always had Amsoil ATF in it in that time, maybe that's a factor. I know this is a slight tangent, but if you don't need to disturb it, there's possibly less need to relocate it. Though I have had the tow bar on, off then on again, thinking about it!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

If you're going to the trouble of refurbishing the pump, you may as well protect it afterwards. I wouldn't worry otherwise.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The metal work round the sub is reinforced and relatively thick metal panels cover all the openings. I can't get to the ayc reservoir behind the carpet panel without unbolting anther metal panel. Plus all the removable panels have a thick foam tape around them to stop the panel vibrating with the tunes. Personally don't use the sub as it was connected to the factory amp in the boot and had long since been removed as it was not connected to the after market stereo in the front.
    I very rarely have the stereo on in the car anyway. So the sub is wasted on me, but it came with car.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    The metal work round the sub is reinforced and relatively thick metal panels cover all the openings. I can't get to the ayc reservoir behind the carpet panel without unbolting anther metal panel. Plus all the removable panels have a thick foam tape around them to stop the panel vibrating with the tunes. Personally don't use the sub as it was connected to the factory amp in the boot and had long since been removed as it was not connected to the after market stereo in the front.
    I very rarely have the stereo on in the car anyway. So the sub is wasted on me, but it came with car.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
    Did you ever get round to doing this ? I've just got a replacement pump for mine .as like you say it water just rots them . I found the solenoids rattling about in the hanger on mine .
    Ian

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Like most things i come up with it was an idea to try but never got round to it.
    there are braided flex pipes you can buy now on ebay that are about £70 a pair, but they would make the connection from a pump in the boot to the back of the diff.
    but reservoir will still have to higher than the pump as it gravity feeds the pump when needed.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    Like most things i come up with it was an idea to try but never got round to it.
    there are braided flex pipes you can buy now on ebay that are about £70 a pair, but they would make the connection from a pump in the boot to the back of the diff.
    but reservoir will still have to higher than the pump as it gravity feeds the pump when needed.
    Would the pipes not have to be longer as they are in the boot ? In the video they have turned the pump round so the pipes are on the rear

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

the pipes are replace with longer flex ones that are feed through the floor of the boot.

something like these, but i dont know what length you woud need
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Perfo...6/202574141263

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    Other

Have any of you in the recent past ordered the AYC rebuild kit from the Croatian guy (who has a good video on Youtube on how to repair it)? Aside from him, the only other option seems to be the kit from Evolution-Hydraulics UK. Kit looks exactly the same and for the same price.

P.S has anyone managed to actually mount the pump inside the trunk and to the left of the access panel for the reservoir? I reckon on a Legnum there should be enough room to mount it securely over there and run extended flex lines to the diff.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

which kit are you looking at links would be usful.
    there are various types of kits not all of them have all the parts needed, some have motor bearings some without some with just motor seals some without.
    some kits with all the screws needed some without.
    so just be careful you order the kit that has everything included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast