Graeme
    Last Online
    14-07-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Est

Gearbox slipping

Hi everyone, I know this has been done a gazillion times, but having searched for a day can't quite find the answer to my question.

Car is a '98 R Leggy type s, auto. Only just got the car, and have put it through an MOT which it passed first time. Car hadn't really gone anywhere in the previous couple of years according to the previous owner, but had been regularly started and moved on and off drive. When I picked the car up from M.O.T. centre and drove home, the gearbox seemed to slipping especially in the first couple of gears from 2-3k revs. I've checked the A/T oil and the level seems fine (covers the plastic gauge, tested in neutral with engine running, which I assume is correct?) but in all the mountains of paperwork I received with the car, the last time I can see it was changed appears to be 2007. Although it was changed every other year before that by the same owner so it's probably been done since, although I can't be 100%

Does this sound like it could be an oil problem, or something else as well? Also, will it be ok to drive, or will I be doing more damage? I'll need to change the oil regardless, so what do people recommend, any links as well would be extremely helpful. TIA

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Hi and welcome to the forum, auto box needs to 'relearn' when to switch gears, if it has been stood for a while possibly with flat battery, give it about 100 miles and make sure batt stays on.
    Changing 13 years old atf should help too, if you need any there's link in my signature for amsoil in good price.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

what oil does it say was used for the gear box?
    the auto box oil only needs to changed every 45K miles so i am surprised it was changed every year.
    the correct oil is expensive a full flush with 10-15L of oil is about £150-£200 ish depending how much you use.

the is a guy on here @adaxo adam that can get AMSoil for a good price.
    he is putting order in at this very moment so jump on this thread and you can get the oils from him.

https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...Soil-AZO-0W-30

he can get the universal ATF SP3 compliant as well which what you will need for the gear box. drop him a message or he might pop up on here

Bye for Now!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

oh he has already got here

Name
    Graeme
    Last Online
    14-07-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Est

Cheers guys, I will jump on that for sure. Not got the receipt in front of me as popped out in the wife's car just incase, but it was done by a official mitsubishi garage so they'd have surely used the correct fluids?

Name
    Graeme
    Last Online
    14-07-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Est

I also should've asked what the oil on dipstick should look like, it was quite watery looking, should it not be thicker?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

This is Mitsubishi dextron3 after about 20k miles, fully flushed change15961194853021907900152834603532.jpg

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Mitsi's SP-III can get trashed well before the 45k service interval. Amsoil ATF is fantastic in these boxes. It's probably closer to a 'fill for life' oil!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Graeme
    Last Online
    14-07-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Est

It was a bit browner, but same consistency. Invoice just says part number MZ312096L sp III oil. Was done at 86k miles, only on 106k now so that's probably why it's not been done since.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

If it was changed at a Mitsubishi dealer, probably only about half the full amount of fluid would have been changed!

The service manual only says to dump the contents of the sump, which is only half the fluid in the system. So, I'd definitely be getting some new ATF from Adaxo, sand following the full flush guide. Once that's done, and the gearbox has relearned the new shift points, it'll be wonderful to drive!

Name
    Graeme
    Last Online
    14-07-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR-4 Est

Cheers mate, I hope so! Just eager to get out in it properly. Owned one about 12 years ago, sold it for an rs4, and regretted it ever since. So a few audis and porsche later, I'm able to have one alongside the 911 as I've convinced the missus it's a good family car to have when she takes the x60 to work!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Stash469 View Post
    Cheers mate, I hope so! Just eager to get out in it properly. Owned one about 12 years ago, sold it for an rs4, and regretted it ever since. So a few audis and porsche later, I'm able to have one alongside the 911 as I've convinced the missus it's a good family car to have when she takes the x60 to work!
    Haha, good to know that I fight temptation for a change and resisted, so no regrets, just 3 vr4 on driveway one daily COTY (trying to keep fully stock) one just about to receive fresh motor and box and bearings and diff/transfer so can be stripped of anything unnecessary and abused on track, one sitting 'just in case' I need something to keep other two alive.