martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Tcl...???

Hi guys, iv'e not long got a '99' reg Galant VR4,and noticed the other day there was no TCL button where it would usually be by your right knee.But instead have what looks like a small aftermarket red LED put into a blank off switch and is wired up.Am i wrong in thinking that they came with TCL,or was it an option...??? CONFUZZZED..!!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

stick up some more info on the car.
    Is it a manual?
    does it have AYC?
    If its a 99 it should be a facelift model, or the last of the prefacelift?.
    Do you get TCL light on the dash when you switch the ignition on?

Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Yea its a face lift, has AYC,Its AUTO Dont see a light come on,but had a look and theres no bulb in the dash where the TCL light is....

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Also cant work out this other light

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

TCL was only standard on PFL autos. It was an extremely rarely-selected option on facelift autos.

Also, what other light? The red LED? Almost certainly part of an aftermarket alarm.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Facelifts usually only have ASC i have never seen one with TCL. i thought mitsi had incorperatedthe TCL into the ACS system when they went to facelift model. but i could definitely be wrong on this. i only saw a a couple of prefacelift models without TCL and i have one of them.
    personally i have never seen the point of TCL in a VR4 it just slows you down when pulling off the line. i would either disengauge TCL or just turn it off when i get into a vr4. it might be useful if you have lots more power than standard, and when i say lots i mean 400+ at the wheels.
    it might be useful on a standard vr4 in very limited traction situation like snow. but i have never been in a situation where i thought, oh i am glad i have got TCL fitted to my car.

On the flip side in very limited traction situations i have thought i wish i did not have ABS. like braking on snow the system just does not brake at all sometimes when you do need it there is something in the ABS software that they did not get right. if i know i will be driving on snow snow and ice i will pull the ABS relay out and disable the ABS and drive carefully, much safer on snow or just put the snow socks on that makes the biggest difference . but that is very rare situation for me as i am situated in south manchester.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes Dave, TCL and ASC go hand-in-hand in the VR-4 - if you have one, you have the other.

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Cheers guys,thanks for that..Thought i was missing something there...Will delve into what this light is now then,maybe just an after market alarm......