Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Who's still about, and what are you driving these days?

  1. #1

    Offline
     
    Name
    Charlie
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Posts
    557
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
     

    Who's still about, and what are you driving these days?

    Just a post out of boredom if nothing else...

    I remember when this forum was a busy one, really dropped off in the last couple of years - commensurate with the VR4 I guess!

    Can't remember the last time I saw a standard Galant on the road, let alone a VR4...sad really.

    I'm always on the look out for one, been to look at a few since I sold my last - always left disappointed though...rust and neglect everytime, I forget how old they are now.

    I've spent the last few years in Saab 9-5's, 9-3's, a Volvo S60 T5 and currently own a Mondeo (sorry), although it is the ST220. Can't fault it in fairness, comfy, practical, sounds and looks the part too. Shame it's so thirsty and not quick by today's standards.

    What cars are people running these days and how many of you are still in Galant/VR4 ownership?

    Would be interested to know if any of you attend meets/shows anymore aswell?


    Charlie.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 08-10-2020 at 06:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Confused's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Garry
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    714
    Posts
    3,151
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Notts
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Like most forums, social media seems to have taken away most of the focus and chat. Which is a real shame, because looking back at or searching for anything is just terrible on those platforms!

    I've still got my Legnum, but it is currently sat away in a barn, as the rust has got to a point where it probably wouldn't pass another MOT, and I needed to commute 40 miles per day.

    PXL_20200922_124510968.jpg

    I looked around for another car which could potentially be a replacement, if I decided to get rid of the Legnum. I wanted something petrol (because it seems that diesels are starting to get banned from city centres, and I would not be buying a new enough car to be immune from this), and preferably all wheel drive (with rear wheel drive as second choice), but also powerful enough to safely tow my caravan and car trailer, and of course it had to be an estate.

    What I ended up with is what 15 years of catching up to 90's Japanese cars by the Europeans...

    IMG_20191208_133851.jpg

    A 2009-2015 Audi S4 Avant. 333bhp 3 litre, supercharged V6, with full-time 4WD and "Sports Diff" - which is their torque-vectoring differential - basically it's AYC!



    Aaaaaaaand.... it's boring.

    It is a lovely car to drive, it's comfortable, and smooth, but there's no soul to it. I just haven't fallen in love with it. I think I've been spoiled by the VR-4 and its charm, and if I'd come from almost any other car to the S4, I'd be raving about how great it is.

    So, long term (especially as now I won't need to be commuting again), I'm going to finish off what I'm doing on my Anglia, then get to work on my Legnum - and maybe a few more tweaks to increase the power output, but I still want it to be a reliable car (which, to be fair, if the work is done correctly, and it's properly tuned, it should be!)

    MVIMG_20200831_165901.jpg


    I've not attended any shows in the Legnum for a while, but over the last few years I have hosted some garage/dyno days at mine - I was planning on one earlier this year, but then various things happened (I can't quite remember now what it was at the start of 2020 that screwed up everyone's plans....?) and it got delayed - but I'm definitely chomping at the bit to get some VR-4 stuff happening in the real world again!

  3. #3

    Offline
     
    Name
    Jake
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    1227
    Posts
    288
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Oxford
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    I traded in my V6 for a VR4, and its been my daily for over 3 years now. most likely to be spotted on the A34 or M40!
    XSP_1250 - Copy.jpg
    Photo is from the last event I attended with others in the club, it was a great weekend.

  4. #4
    galantnight's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    john
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    702
    Posts
    881
    Country
    England
    Location
    surrey
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Still got my VR4, 12 years now

  5. #5
    Nick Mann's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nick
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Last Online
    29-10-2020
    Membership ID
    17
    Posts
    24,582
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Redditch
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Still got mine.

    20180620_142729.jpg

    It's not been a daily for years - I was using a van for work. It would come out on evenings and weekends and it has been rare that it has hit 5000 miles in a year. However my job changed in February and I started commuting in it - nearly 40 miles a day taking a fair chunk of two hours in total. The turbos started smoking a little and the stiff suspension and lightweight flywheel/stage 3 clutch meant stop start traffic and speedhumps in Birmingham were just not fun.

    The heater matrix sprang a small leak and then whilst driving it with the heater matrix short circuited the rear turbo failed catastrophically. I have mostly rebuilt it after that but am not quite there yet.

    In the mean time I decided that commuting into Birmingham required something wafty. I also decided that I needed to scratch the V8 itch. That lead to the purchase of a Jaguar XJ Autobiography in supercharged 5.0 V8 flavour. I love it but I suspect that is because it is not a replacement for, or comparable with, the VR4. The only thing they have in common is forced induction, plenty of power and a poor middle rear seat! It has done plenty of miles which meant as a trade sale I could afford the purchase, however if anything goes wrong I will be in trouble!

    20200815_154053.jpg

  6. #6
    Atik's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Atik
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Posts
    7,222
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Car
    RVR HSGR
     
    Still here, still lurking.
    Since the silver Legnum and the red Legnum, I've had a Nissan Stagea (fun but not quite as fun as the VR4), Volvo V70, slightly less fun but more interior equipment and WAY easier to live with.
    Currently have the wife's 2009 Mondeo 2.2TDCi. Super smooth, very comfortable, not exactly a slouch and a lovely car to be in.
    IMG_6811.JPG
    And for myself, I now have The Fridge which is my fun and practical family car! Mitsubishi RVR Hyper Sports Gear R.
    IMG-20200518-WA0041.jpg
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

  7. #7
    jahooli's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Paul
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    499
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    sheffield
    Car
    Vr4Legnum type
     
    Still have mine, daily driver in winter, having it parked up in summer doesn't help it tho, it wants to be driven!
    Just in having the LPG serviced, new plugs, leads and gaskets. Glad the forum is still alive even if I do only come on when I need something!!

    Cant remember how to upload photos tho
    Paul
    youtube "tha got beef wi me"
    i made that.

  8. #8

    Offline
     
    Name
    Charlie
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Posts
    557
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport
     
    Good to see there's still a few of you about, and some VR4's too.
    @Confused interesting about the Audi, was looking at one not long back and decided against it in the end.

    I had a brand new Insignia as a hire car a few months back, wow what a pile of crap that was. Soulless is the word for sure.

    Can't see myself buying anything modern until I have to.
    @Nick Mann sorry to hear about your car, but glad it's on the mend. Jag is certainly a nice place to be, especially with the V8 as you say. Keep looking at S type R's myself lately.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    TAR's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Tim
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    346
    Posts
    3,647
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Still got my VR4 but it's been off the road for over a year now. One of the turbo's is smoking (probably the rear one) and it's due another cambelt change. I'm going to remove the engine and sort out some rust in the turrets before sorting out the engine. I miss it, but not having a garage to work in just isn't fun any more. I've got planning for a double garage, just need to build it.

    My daily, until a few weeks ago was a 1.3 diesel Astra estate. My god it was slow but it's been ultra-reliable and a had plenty of space for moving stuff. I've now got a diesel Zafira so I can move my great nephew's motocross bike about. Good load lugger, boring driver.

    My real passion is more with older cars and I've 2 Lotus' to restore, a Turbo Esprit and an Elite. Another reason to get the garage built!

    I've thought many times about getting rid of the VR4 but it has a certain something that makes me smile whenever I get behind the wheel.
    My VR4 ownership has been longer than with any other car, excluding my Esprit.

    I've also got a classic 1990 Mini Mayfair to restore. That's fun drive.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

    My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

  10. #10
    Louis's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Louis
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    104
    Posts
    2,614
    Country
    Scotland
    Location
    1
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    I have been in VR4's since 2004.
    In this time I have had two, my previous one and my present one.
    They have always been my daily driver and any work done has had to be done during quiet periods from work.
    In early years I did 60 mile a day commutes, and in past 10 years I am freelance all over the UK, and clock up the mileage.
    My car is like Trigger's Broom (Only Fools and Horses, ask someone to explain lol).
    It has had minor welding repairs, and is dinitrol rustproofed and gets re treated professionally every year with a top up every 6 months.
    I have a 1966 Buick two door hardtop project (ongoing for too many years lol, but getting there).
    I figured if I was going to be doing a lot of driving I wanted to be in something I liked driving, which has been great, but the fuel consumption has always been there!.
    If I'm working I'm driving and if I'm working I'm getting paid, so I can afford the fuel!.
    I would be better off with a more economical car! but!.
    I have lots of upgrades, and agreed value insurance.
    I still love my Legnum and have not really seen anything style wise that I like more, horsepower wise yea, but looks and design wise, there is nothing out there as good as the Legnum
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

  11. #11
    Atik's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Atik
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Posts
    7,222
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Car
    RVR HSGR
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    My car is like Trigger's Broom (Only Fools and Horses, ask someone to explain lol).

  12. #12

    Offline
     
    Name
    Rich
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    777
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Type S
     
    I’m still lurking also but now have an evo x

  13. #13
    Kitty's VR4's Avatar

    Online
     
    Name
    Kat
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    AU143
    Posts
    564
    Country
    Australia
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Car
    VR4 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Still have my leggie, sits in the shed, comes out for its yearly rego inspection and the very occasional track day.

    Got a new wagon for my birthday last year, as good as it is, I prefer the legnum, I still have a real soft spot for it

    114121-1492020.jpg

    Kittys VR4

    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

  14. #14
    MPBVr4's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Malc
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Last Online
    27-10-2020
    Membership ID
    218
    Posts
    2,572
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Taunton
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    I'm still lurking after 15 years. Daily is an Audi S3 but still have the 3000GT
    3000GT.JPGin the trees.jpg

  15. #15
    MPBVr4's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Malc
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Last Online
    27-10-2020
    Membership ID
    218
    Posts
    2,572
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Taunton
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Like the V8 Jaaag Nick. I was sorely tempted by a Lexus IS-F recently.... as a good alternative to an Audi RS4.

  16. #16
    elnevio's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nev
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    510
    Posts
    17,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Gloucester
    Car
    Things with a V
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    ...

    In the mean time I decided that commuting into Birmingham required something wafty. I also decided that I needed to scratch the V8 itch. That lead to the purchase of a Jaguar XJ Autobiography in supercharged 5.0 V8 flavour. I love it but I suspect that is because it is not a replacement for, or comparable with, the VR4. The only thing they have in common is forced induction, plenty of power and a poor middle rear seat! It has done plenty of miles which meant as a trade sale I could afford the purchase, however if anything goes wrong I will be in trouble!

    20200815_154053.jpg
    What Nick HASN'T mentioned is that his Jaaaag is the XJ L version (so maybe that should be Jaaaaaaaaaag!). It is very long. And it is very fast. And to quote, "Unnecessary"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Atik View Post
    ...

    And for myself, I now have The Fridge which is my fun and practical family car! Mitsubishi RVR Hyper Sports Gear R.
    IMG-20200518-WA0041.jpg
    What a car! Still miss it and the absolute daft funfest that it is!

    Quote Originally Posted by jahooli View Post
    Still have mine, daily driver in winter, having it parked up in summer doesn't help it tho, it wants to be driven!
    Just in having the LPG serviced, new plugs, leads and gaskets. Glad the forum is still alive even if I do only come on when I need something!!

    Cant remember how to upload photos tho
    Paul
    Good work Paul, glad to see you've stuck with it! My facelift VR-4 is in the progress of being LPGed as we speak

    Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Still got my VR4 but it's been off the road for over a year now. One of the turbo's is smoking (probably the rear one) and it's due another cambelt change. I'm going to remove the engine and sort out some rust in the turrets before sorting out the engine. I miss it, but not having a garage to work in just isn't fun any more. I've got planning for a double garage, just need to build it.

    My daily, until a few weeks ago was a 1.3 diesel Astra estate. My god it was slow but it's been ultra-reliable and a had plenty of space for moving stuff. I've now got a diesel Zafira so I can move my great nephew's motocross bike about. Good load lugger, boring driver.

    My real passion is more with older cars and I've 2 Lotus' to restore, a Turbo Esprit and an Elite. Another reason to get the garage built!

    I've thought many times about getting rid of the VR4 but it has a certain something that makes me smile whenever I get behind the wheel.
    My VR4 ownership has been longer than with any other car, excluding my Esprit.

    I've also got a classic 1990 Mini Mayfair to restore. That's fun drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I have been in VR4's since 2004.
    In this time I have had two, my previous one and my present one.
    They have always been my daily driver and any work done has had to be done during quiet periods from work.
    In early years I did 60 mile a day commutes, and in past 10 years I am freelance all over the UK, and clock up the mileage.
    My car is like Trigger's Broom (Only Fools and Horses, ask someone to explain lol).
    It has had minor welding repairs, and is dinitrol rustproofed and gets re treated professionally every year with a top up every 6 months.
    I have a 1966 Buick two door hardtop project (ongoing for too many years lol, but getting there).
    I figured if I was going to be doing a lot of driving I wanted to be in something I liked driving, which has been great, but the fuel consumption has always been there!.
    If I'm working I'm driving and if I'm working I'm getting paid, so I can afford the fuel!.
    I would be better off with a more economical car! but!.
    I have lots of upgrades, and agreed value insurance.
    I still love my Legnum and have not really seen anything style wise that I like more, horsepower wise yea, but looks and design wise, there is nothing out there as good as the Legnum
    You two like your projects, that's for sure. Always nice when things get back on the road following some care and attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty's VR4 View Post
    Still have my leggie, sits in the shed, comes out for its yearly rego inspection and the very occasional track day.

    Got a new wagon for my birthday last year, as good as it is, I prefer the legnum, I still have a real soft spot for it

    114121-1492020.jpg
    Kat, good to see you again, hope all is well! Nice to see the VR-4 is still getting some (ab)use!

    Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4 View Post
    I'm still lurking after 15 years. Daily is an Audi S3 but still have the 3000GT
    3000GT.JPGin the trees.jpg
    Looking nice and shiny there, Malc. Glad you're still here - at least we can still get AYC pressure switches if we need them!



    As for me/us, well, I still have the purple PFL:

    20201012_135311.jpg

    Coming up to 13 years ownership, although the plan is to let a new owner have some fun with this one at some point. That's really not progressing very quickly!


    Picked up a freshly imported facelift Legnum VR-4 (with the super-rare option of TCL/ASC!) about a year ago, which, as mentioned above, is in the process of being LPGed. I've recently gutted the interior to remove all the Jap tech and install new UK stuff and do a few jobs at once. A couple more mods once it's back in our hands and then it will hopefully represent another decade-plus of happy VR-4 motoring.

    20201005_125337.jpg


    And then we have what is our daughter's car (I'm teaching her to drive, God help her! ), possibly the best handling car I've ever driven, a Fiat Panda 100HP:

    20200701_175550.jpg

    Affectionately known as Pablo, he's in good order and is an absolute blast to drive. And very cheap to insure for a brand new driver.


    So, I do come on here as often as I can. Yes, more of the immediate discussion is now on social media, mainly Facebook, and I do try to help people out on there too, but there's nothing quite as comforting as being back in the comforting four (virtual) walls of Club VR-4.
    October 2020 fleet status: 75% operational 25% furloughed!


    | JDM Legnum VR-4 Type-S | JDM Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 S | Fiat Panda 100HP go-kart !! | Peugeot Partner Work Van |

    Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

  17. #17
    irnerd's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Derrin
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    28-10-2020
    Membership ID
    1240
    Posts
    16
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    WILTS
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997
    My Garage
    Visit
     

    Irnerd fleet rumbles on

    Just put my JDM Legnum VR4 COTY through its 4th MOT - second offside front rear lower control arm replaced for second (this time with the cheaper brand because the expensive one fitted in 2017 rotted so quickly, but a cheaper one fitted at the same time is still as good as new).

    Also my talented local vehicle specialist moulded me a replacement exhaust pipe section as that failed MOT with some nice roaring tunes.

    Kept service schedule up to date and is still a smiles per mile. enhancements lean - good thick undercoating , belts and plugs, fluids fllters etc, new alarm, immobiliser, remote central locking system, new AV unit- no have not repaired the damn centre dashboard clock! The Sat Nav unit fits snugly on that little shelf so no need.

    Not sure I have respected the tyres though only got 30K miles out of them

    On the VR4 - have just bought a touch up paint repair kit as have 4 siginificant rust spots - way beyond my skill base - so looking to find someone with patience and time ...

    have a 2002 subaru forester turbo S AWD which thankfully just won't die - managed to find a exhaust manufacturer in Turkey for a new back box

    Mrs Irnerds fleet - 2008 landrover 110 van - finally got around to underside sealed this year - as it was going rather brown. Only major enahncement is to replace the seal between lower half and upper half of cabin - massive job - windows out - so gaffer tape under window to keep water from hitting electrics.

    And her Nissan figaro - rear wings getting lacey. This has had 3 replacement engines ( only one while in our care ) - and has put our motor engineer off replacing engines for life - a certain firm that claims to refurb these engines cuts so many corners - that they seem to pop with overheating after 20K - ridiculous - found a method to bring the cooling fan on at 85degrees C ( Aussy trick I recall) and has been running sweet for three years - twin pipe on the exhaust for 1L makes its sound much bigger than really iss

    not so many enhancements, after market good spec parts where ever possible.

    The apocalyptic lurgey is preventing their proper use, both reason to go out, minimising fuel costs etc. - holding out and hoping to afford regular oil changes on all to prevent sludgeiness.

    I managed to find the right pages to renew my Club VR4 membership (I know , simple is , simple does)

    Looking to get a 1.0L Daihatsu Charade for lugging the dogs up the hill - 30 quid tax and naff all to insure and might last a couple of years.

    And finally Hey ho - thats my birthday rant over.

    All the best
    1997 Legnum VR-4 S
    1997 - Year of the first cloned sheep Dolly - huh?

  18. #18
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    23-10-2020
    Posts
    2,617
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
     
    Keeping this one alive...

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    elnevio's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nev
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    510
    Posts
    17,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Gloucester
    Car
    Things with a V
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by ianturbo View Post
    Keeping this one alive...

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Fair play Ian, that's no mean feat!!

  20. #20
    dazjb's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Darren
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    1239
    Posts
    275
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    @Atik That Mitsubishi RVR Hyper Sports Gear R is awesome.. never seen one before. I love the quirky jap cars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Those were the days ....
    By MPBVr4 in forum UK Events / Meets
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-03-2019, 01:43 PM
  2. Oh what fun over the last few days
    By Bender in forum NZ Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-10-2014, 10:46 AM
  3. 2 more days
    By Colin Wiltshire in forum UK Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29-10-2011, 09:05 PM
  4. 5 days to go....
    By SHOWVR in forum NZ Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 27-07-2007, 01:16 AM
  5. 9 Days.....
    By Lillywotsername in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •