Last Online
    14-03-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 S

Kmh to mph Speedo Coversion

Hi All,

Well I've used the search feature on here for hours now and not come across this topic, but I bet it has been covered a few times already, just cannot find it!

I have a 2000 Legnum VR4 Type S with auto gearbox and I'd like to convert the speedo from reading in kilometres to read in Miles per hour.

I'm pretty familiar with the conversion chips and I have one here ready to fit but what I cannot find is the information with regards to which wire at the cluster connector I cut/splice into.

Can anyone share which connector and which colour wires please?

Thanks Ian

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

@elnevio has just completed this job on his late facelift automatic, I'm sure he will be along soon to help!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes I have, and I think this method (not seen it done this way before) is better than either installing it behind the instrument cluster (very fiddly, not a lot of room) or in line with the gearbox speed sensor (potentially grubby location, and the sensor isn't even there on the later facelifts!!).

This method will, however, NOT remove the 180kph speed limiter, although that can still be removed by flashing the ECU, or by cutting the white-green wire at pin 16 of the fourth connector to the ECU (although the latter creates a permanent ECU fault code 24 and will log speeds in Evoscan of zero only - but that's nothing more than an inconvenience really!) should you wish to do so.

The location for this installation is connector C-83 which can be found behind and below the stereo (I know, much easier right?!) using the speed signal in the white-blue wire (yes, NOT white-green at this location - additionally, I suspect that the wiring diagram has an error in the wire colour between junction 21 and C-83, i.e. it shows as W-G when it should be W-L, as the wire the other side of the connector is also white-blue) at pin 7 of the connector:

IMG-20201001-WA0009.jpg

20201101_185051.jpg

20201001_125202.jpg

Anyway, it's the right-most one of the three connectors. At C-83, the speed signal comes from the front of the car and then heads out the 'rear' of the connector up to the cluster (this pic was taken before cutting the white-blue wire):

20201101_183546.jpg

I cable-tied my chip to the little cross member, used one of the bolts for the earth, and the power comes from the stereo switched live feed:

20201001_135804.jpg

Obviously, to get to all this, you need to remove the gearstick surround and the stereo surround. And the stereo really, and the driver side kick panel helps too.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Ersan
    Last Online
    21-01-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    EC5A

done this before with no hassle. all you have to do is modify the speedo config chip eprom. and you can customized the hi vis speedo layer along the way

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Haha "all you have to do" ...