Thread: Finally have the VR4 back almost 2 years later...

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Finally have the VR4 back almost 2 years later...

Piccies! https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...B5dDJZSThLM2Vn

Okay, I've been a little absent on the forum recently, as my VR4 has been off the road (as usual!) for so long.

The day I got it back from gearbox refurb at Evotune in Durham, the engine started making some very bad noises from the bottom end.
    After finding a replacement (Thanks Danny!) and finally getting the car to a garage willing to do the work for a modest price, collected the engine and took it to them (April 2019).

Queue months of delays and issues, and late December 2019 I get the car back, drive it most of the way home (50 miles from garage give or take)... and its pissing coolant
    Goes back to the garage in January 2020, to be resolved.
    I stopped chasing as with covid I didn't need the car and having it off the road so long has saved a tonne in insurance and tax!

I finally chased up November 2020 and got the car dropped back off to my home yesterday!

I'm very pleased that it now starts, works and drives without leaking any vital fluids.
    However, the speedo is being intermittent, I believe this is driven from the gearbox speed sensor, is this correct? (Will check what's faulty with Evoscan) Is this easy to access if so?

I flashed KS Mods "stock" ROM to the car as the previous map was tweaked for the old engine which already had a multitude of issues too.
    Unfortunately, I still seem to have some issues with the engine, presumably sensors or something similar.

1. The car still idles very poorly when cold and AFR on cold idle is 19+ (only tested once).
    2. At high load/RPM (say 4k+), once achieving around 0.5bar boost, the car starts to stutter as if it is misfiring. (This was worse with the original map, but I put that down to the anti-lag setting kicking in when the ECU was reading 0 speed, however, perhaps it was not this and it was exacerbated by the increased boost).

My car had this idle issue with the old engine aswell, and changing maps does not resolve it, so I suspect something else is causing the issue. Sensors and electronics have come across from the old engine.
    I have previously tried a different MAF and disconnecting the MAF, and it did not help.
    From what little driving I have done (a handful of miles) the AFR looks much better under normal day to day driving than it did with the old engine.

I'll try to get a video if possible showing what happens under higher loads, but if anyone could give their 2 pennies worth that would be great!
    I just want the car to work for ONE TIME in it's life
    Last edited by Piers1989; 03-12-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

On Kenneth ROM with LC switched on you trigger it while driving without working speedo, as it 'think' car is stationary, been there and done that.

Such high AFRs on idle is mostly due to disconnected vacuum pipes, could be from PS valve at the left front corner on engine or one of coming out of lower plenum, or from rear or plenum/dump valve. boost leak test will show what's wrong in 2 minutes.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Thanks Adam,
    Yes I realised that was happening with the 0 speed trigger, so I flashed back to the "base" rom.

I'm going to see if I can find a garage that can do a boost leak test for me ASAP.
    I think there might be a slight hesitation/judder at low load and RPM too but masked by the lack of requested power.

I've also been out and done some datalogging and took some pics / video of the AFR under cold idle, "warm" driving, hot idle.
    During the driving segment, I'm of course on and off the throttle and only lightly so AFR is a bit jumpy, but again its right around where it should be to my knowledge.
    The media can be found here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...R0b2l4cHFjZ1pB
    And a datalog including some pulls in 3rd and 4th gear here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuOD-MLiPQfRiV2p...UWFAy?e=fmWV2r
    (Excuse the Speed 0 - that's the sensor being dodgy).

I also have an example of the load cells being hit on the current map (the AFR map below isn't the actual one in use, but it is close.)
    The car was within around 0.5AFR of the table so again compared to how it was with the old engine, this is way better.
    Load cells hit.PNG
    Last edited by Piers1989; 04-12-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Boost leak would be very high on my list of checks. Then coolant sensor.

Speedo death is usually the after market converter chip.