Thread: What does an OEM leather interior look like underneath?

Name
    Will
    Last Online
    22-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type S VR-4

What does an OEM leather interior look like underneath?

So this is my first point of research into the topic, hope someone can shed some light into my concerns..
    I bought a full Galant (off fleabay) a couple of years ago just for a leather interior and a few more spare parts for my Legnum VR-4.
    The interior looked well on the photos as well as in real life to start with but after having a closer look, it seemed like a standard grey/black/blue cloth interior that had been leather upholstered. I stuck it in my car, enjoyed it and never gave it much thought until the other day..
    That's when I came across another interior that I picked up today - even though it's a different tone, it looks really well but..
    On closer inspection, this also looks like an aftermarket job to me - there's the same standard cloth underneath the leather, the plastic weld rivets inside the door cards have been replaced with screws and washers and to be honest, even though the outside looks nice and pretty identical to the OEM, I'm not sure if it is as some bits of the finishing touches do look a bit shoddy
    Does anyone know if Mitsubishi retro-fitted the leather upholstering at customer's request or is this in fact the second time I've dropped on an aftermarket set?
    I just want to bring some clarity into this matter before I start looking for another interior - am I chasing a ghost here?

PS - I will potentially have a set of leather seats and door cards for sale very soon - colour of which is yet to be decided..

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

the leather seats in the galant UK spec cars where all just leather over the original upholstery. Like a basic seat cover.

at least if you change your mind in the future you can rip the leather off and have the original fabric seats.

the uk spec leather with the white stitching is leather but has some fake carbon fibre looking vinyl inset panel at the back of the seat bottom and the bottom of the seat back. not sure why they did that but that is what it comes with.

the UK spec seat base seems higher than the jap spec seats but that is not a bad thing, unless you are 6'2" with a moon roof and want to where a helmet for track days as you head will probably hit the roof.
    Last edited by Davezj; 28-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Will
    Last Online
    22-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type S VR-4

Thanks for clarifying that Dave..not impressed but on the positive side, I now have 2 OEM leather interiors. Just need to decide which one will stay in my car..

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    All of them...

I checked my UK Galant elegance leather Will and it too had fabric under it and the door cards where screwed together....i'd suggest they took the welded cards and converted to leather putting screws in as the layers are thicker and the seldinv kit is a factory jobby....