Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Engine /auto box

  1. #1
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     

    Engine /auto box

    Hi guys , just a quick one . Sometimes after a drive my car seems to tick over at low revs almost cutting out , then when i select drive it takes a second or two to go into first ,it does but seems to engage with a bit of a clunk .
    Not all the time but now and again, any ideas ?

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    elnevio's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nev
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    510
    Posts
    17,782
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Gloucester
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Do you mean straight away, or after you've turned it off for 15/20 mins or so?
    June 2021 fleet status: 100% operational, but with 33% added sheddiness


    | JDM Legnum VR-4 Type-S | Fiat Panda 100HP go-kart !! | Focus Shed of Sheddiness |

    Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

  3. #3
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Do you mean straight away, or after you've turned it off for 15/20 mins or so?
    When i start it up again .

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    elnevio's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nev
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    510
    Posts
    17,782
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Gloucester
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by ianturbo View Post
    When i start it up again .

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Sounds like the standard 'feature'! These can be a little susceptible to heat soak so the initial 30s or so after restarting the temperature readings can be a bit off until the normal air flow through the system has cooled things to the ambient temperature again. The gearbox might be linked if that's the only time it clunks a bit into gear and is fine the rest of the time.

  5. #5
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Sounds like the standard 'feature'! These can be a little susceptible to heat soak so the initial 30s or so after restarting the temperature readings can be a bit off until the normal air flow through the system has cooled things to the ambient temperature again. The gearbox might be linked if that's the only time it clunks a bit into gear and is fine the rest of the time.
    Yep . It drives fine ,its just the clunk when i select first ,
    So its nothing to worry about ? Or is there a fix for it ?
    Thanks
    Ian

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    elnevio's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Nev
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    510
    Posts
    17,782
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Gloucester
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by ianturbo View Post
    Yep . It drives fine ,its just the clunk when i select first ,
    So its nothing to worry about ? Or is there a fix for it ?
    Thanks
    Ian

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Could be the first sign that the ATF needs replacing? How's the fluid level and condition look?

  7. #7
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Could be the first sign that the ATF needs replacing? How's the fluid level and condition look?
    I'll have a look when I get in from work

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Offline
     
    Name
    Jake
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    1227
    Posts
    298
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Oxford
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    if the engine rpm is very low then the gearbox oil pump might not be developing much pressure with the hot oil - this would give poor engagement also old oil would exacerbate this.

  9. #9
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Looks red ish , its due a service soon so a change won't do it any harm ,



    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 30-05-2021 at 03:06 PM.

  10. #10
    Davezj's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Dave
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Posts
    16,096
    Country
    England
    Location
    Manchester
    Car
    VR-4
     
    I changed the idle point in the ECU .
    Because as standard the idle out of gear. Is different to the idle in gear value.
    One is set to 600rpm and one is set to 650rpm. I think it is the in gear idle set to 600rpm which was to low on my car. Setting it to 650rpm was good for me.
    I changed it because 600rpm set up a resonant frequency vibration in my car and I wanted to get rid of that.

    Bye for Now!

  11. #11
    Confused's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Garry
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    714
    Posts
    3,233
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Notts
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    That fluid looks quite dark - it should be bright red!

    Definitely get it changed, do a full flush with around 12-14 litres of Amsoil, pull the battery off so that the ECU will re-learn the new shifting points with the fresh new fluid, and it should be better!

  12. #12
    ianturbo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    ian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    444
    Posts
    2,703
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    accrington lanc
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    That fluid looks quite dark - it should be bright red!

    Definitely get it changed, do a full flush with around 12-14 litres of Amsoil, pull the battery off so that the ECU will re-learn the new shifting points with the fresh new fluid, and it should be better!
    Thanks for that

    Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. FS : v6 galant engine and auto box
    By imapetrolhead in forum UK Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
  2. FS : galant v6 engine and auto box
    By imapetrolhead in forum UK Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
  3. SOLD : Full Set Of Poly Engine Mount Inserts and Tip/Auto VR-4 Engine Mounts
    By Beastlee in forum UK Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-11-2011, 09:14 PM
  4. FS: Engine and auto box
    By leepft in forum NZ Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 05:00 AM
  5. WTB: Facelift Auto Engine ECU
    By orionn2o in forum UK Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •