Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

Torque converter alternative

What option do we have with the torque converters for the Vr4s? can one use the regular galant (v6 na or GDI) T/C on the VR4? mine keeps shuttering with the starter motor and I've bee asked to replace it but I have extremely limited options.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I think it is different to lower powered galants. It may be the same as the Evo 7 GTA.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    I think it is different to lower powered galants. It may be the same as the Evo 7 GTA.
    Thanks Nick, much appreciated, just read online that the F4A51 could be similar.

Does anyone happen to know which variant the F4A51 is?

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I just did a lookup on the converter for my car; MD761941 only applicable to EC5A, EC5W. flex plate is only EC5A and EC5W however the oil pump (and most of the rest of the internals) is shared with CT9A CT9W CM5A D53A at least.

Worth a try with a 5at converter from one of those

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

what is exactly wrong with you torque converter.
    please explain a little bit more and we might be able to help

"shuttering with starter motor"

tells us nothing

i had an issue with my torque converter (T/C) on start up and on idle, and lift off of the accelerator. i had a random clattering noise.
    the flex plate to torque converter bolts had worked loose and were rattling in the flex plate holes.

check this via the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing, if they are loose remove each in turn and use thread lock on the bolt thread when you do them up.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

So, I had to seek second opinion on this from a different mech. We just pulled the T/C out for inspection. he has advised that I change the welded flex plate. The T/C could be fine.

Hey Davezj, I bought a new T/C from Cobra transmission and when fitted to the car there is a loud clattering/grinding noise on every start up. I replaced the starter but that didn't sort the issue. So someone told me to check the T/C. When seen from under the car the teeth on the flyplate were worn out that's when someone told me that the T/C could be incompatible with the stock starter but from Cobra's side that's the correct part.

Does anyone know the number of teeth and teeth gap on the stock Flyplate? I am counting 110 on the Cobra one

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

That really does sound like the issue Dave explained before where the bolts through the flex plate are loose or even the wrong ones. There isn't much of a gap between the bolt heads and the casing.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

1623072294992.jpg1623072294997.jpg1623072295003.jpg

I have attached some pics on how the teeth look like after removing it from the car. I checked the bolt they are the stock bolts and were still intact on the back plate.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I might be barking up the wrong tree here - but is the starter motor engaging properly?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

No wrong trees here. hehe. I'll give updates on that tomorrow.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

looks like a bad engagement of the starter cog teeth as nev has said.
    looks like only partial contact on start up.

it is a gerbox out of the car job to change the torque plate, as it is bolted to the end of the crankshaft.
    the torque plate clattering against the torque converter bolts will probably have damage the holes in the torque plate and elongated them.

remember to use thread lock on the crankshaft bolts as well as the torque converter bolt.
    if you dont use thread lock in the crank shaft bolts then you can get engine oil seeping out of the bolt threads as the bolts go all the through the end of the crankshaft end flange, i know this from personal experience.
    i am just wondering if the torque plate was fitted correctly meaning they have the spacer in the correct orientation and the correct location.

see the link below

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/...rankshaft-1074

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

Hey guys,
    Sorry this took long to respond to. Got caught up with something else. I managed to fix the noise on start up. The mechanic suggested that I increase the number of teeth on the starter to 9 instead of the usual 8 and the car starts quietly now. I still have no idea what caused the noise since the starter is a stock starter, the Torque converter is from Cobra transmissions. For now I am happy that the noise is gone. @Davezj I doubt that they used thread lock so I'll have to pull the transmission out sometime soon, the beauty is that I am not driving it at the moment as I am still sorting a few issues. Much appreciated guys.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by krisshtt View Post
    Hey guys,
    Sorry this took long to respond to. Got caught up with something else. I managed to fix the noise on start up. The mechanic suggested that I increase the number of teeth on the starter to 9 instead of the usual 8 and the car starts quietly now. I still have no idea what caused the noise since the starter is a stock starter, the Torque converter is from Cobra transmissions. For now I am happy that the noise is gone. @Davezj I doubt that they used thread lock so I'll have to pull the transmission out sometime soon, the beauty is that I am not driving it at the moment as I am still sorting a few issues. Much appreciated guys.
    Thanks for the update!

Glad it's resolved. It does seem an unexpected suggestion and solution though - can't say I would have thought of it!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by krisshtt View Post
    Hey guys,
    if you drive it and there is no oil dripping out of the bell housing then the torque converter plate bolts on the end of the crank are not leaking.
    it does not really matter if they do leak on an A/T transmission as it will only drip a little oil of the floor it will not hurt anything.