Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
just to verify it, could you check the outer cv joint spline number on the inside of the joint to the actual shaft.
you might struggle to get the outer CV joint off without a CV joint spliter, it all depends if the snap ring which holds the CV joint in place is being nice to you.

i have taken a couple of the CV joint off before to clean and repack with grease after a split boot but never had to replace the cv Joint.
two out of the 2 came off when i camped the shaft in a fixed vice and gave it a sharp blow with a club hammer on the back of the CV joint but the other would not budge. i ended up cracking the inner race of the CV joint when i hit it a bit to hard with the hammer.
i did try all sorts of soft hammers, wooden, plastic, rubber , leather, copper, deadblow, before resorting to a big club hammer. but i need the weight of the club hammer to remove it.

i now have a CV joint splitter to do it more gently.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373314845...IAAOSwCwFfoSeI
After reading about your efforts to remove the joint from the shaft, I'd probably go with a small wooden or rubber mallet, and then hit the otherside of the mallet with a club hammer.

You still get much of the clout of the club hammer but with a little cushioning from the mallet

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk