Thread: Ecuflash Error/ECU Bricked?

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

Angry Ecuflash Error/ECU Bricked?

Hello, I recently tried to get KSmods 1.03 running on my 7202 ecu. Got everything working but wanted to change the LC rpm, Changed it to 4499 and got error:
    kernel flash enable
    [11:41:09.196] kernel blank flash page: addr: 00020000
    [11:41:24.301] WARNING: failed to erase page at 00020000!
    [11:41:24.301] kernel flash disable
    [11:41:26.315] interface close
    I have pretty much tried everything at this point. Tried flashing every rom i have and know they work but it just cant seem to be able to erase that page. Has anyone encountered a similar problem and may be able to point me to a solution or is the ecu done?
    Thanks, also attaching full log just in case.
    Cant upload the log here since its too large, download it here: https://www.upload.ee/files/13471152/error.txt.html

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Does the ECU still run the car at this point? Or is it totally dead?

Both myself and @foxdie have had ECU failures during flashing, which have rendered the ECU totally unusable - we don't know exactly what is causing it, but we *think* it's trying to reflash when the ECU is warm - for example if you've been driving the car hard, it's been sitting for a while with a hot exhaust, a long tuning session on the dyno etc, as the ECU is tucked up under the dash, on top of the transmission tunnel & exhaust, with no "natural" airflow to aid cooling.

I can't remember exactly the errors, but it might have been similar kinds of messages.

Or, it could just be that there's been too many changes flashed to the ECU - especially if you've been trying multiple things and have flashed it quite a lot.

I would probably say that your ECU is knackered, and you'll need a new one.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi @GregorEST - as Garry has asked, is the car running at this point?

The symptoms you describe are akin to EEPROM failure - it plagues flashing most factory ECU's at this point (which is why I keep spares when I'm tuning!).

There's 2 types of failure I've observed;

* Flashing failure towards the start of the EEPROM addresses, this results in a totally dead ECU you cannot fix
    * Flashing failure towards the middle / end of the EEPROM addresses, can sometimes be recovered by flashing back the last good flashed ROM

If you can still flash, I would try flashing back the last successful ROM you programmed - hopefully you kept backups - that way the checksum should match and the ECU should start the car and drive.

In either case, you'll probably need a replacement ECU.

Keep an eye on the forum though, a couple of us have something in the works to provide a drop-in ViPEC / Link ECU where everything just works
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

Thanks for the responses guys, I haven't tried starting the car since as soon as I turn on the ignition the relays go crazy and also the rpm gauge jumps up and down. I tried flashing tons of roms that i know have worked but that aadress page seems to be done for. I guess its time to go haltech��

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

If you do decide to get a Haltech, you'll be starting from scratch, but if you go with a Link, then we've got lots of experience, and can help you massively get up and running!

As @foxdie says, keep an eye out because we're hoping that relatively soon, there'll be something available that'll make your life VERY easy to switch to an aftermarket ECU!

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

But at its current state you wouldn't recommend starting the car?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by GregorEST View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I haven't tried starting the car since as soon as I turn on the ignition the relays go crazy and also the rpm gauge jumps up and down.
    Yep, this is symptomatic of a bad flash - the ECU processor detects an invalid checksum on the EEPROM and doesn't boot up. When you flash the car, you're actually resetting the ECU and loading a custom program into it, hence why you can still start a flash process

I tried flashing tons of roms that i know have worked but that aadress page seems to be done for.
    Sadly no, it needs to be the exact known-good flash that worked last time. Otherwise the checksum won't match.

I guess its time to go haltech��
    As Garry has said, we can support you with a ViPEC / Link ECU, between Garry and myself we've got 8 years experience with them already and can support them

But at its current state you wouldn't recommend starting the car?
    If everything's clicking / going crazy that means the ECU isn't running the correct code and although the engine will turn over, there'll be no ignition / spark / fuel / anything.

Where abouts do you live btw?

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

I live in Estonia. My reason for going the path of Haltech is simple. Since i work in a company that has great contacts at haltech I can get a 2500 cheap. I'll be doing a full custom harness and dbw anyways so yeah. And we also have a tuner in house that has tuned everything from street cars to top of the line drag cars

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I live in Estonia. My reason for going the path of Haltech is simple. Since i work in a company that has great contacts at haltech I can get a 2500 cheap. I'll be doing a full custom harness and dbw anyways so yeah. And we also have a tuner in house that has tuned everything from street cars to top of the line drag cars
    Fair enough, best of luck then

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Posted in your thread on OZVR4

Long story short, could be a bug in ECUFlash.
    I usually correct it with older version of ECUFlash that uses virtual com for the openport, but the other variable is the reflash kernel version is older too.

https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/here-w...6/#post-356121
    Last edited by BCX; 14-09-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Also I believe plug in LinkECUs are already available. TME Motorsport been putting LinkECUs in VR4 for a while now, was under the impression they were plug in.
    I'll ask when I speak to Steve next.

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Yep, this is symptomatic of a bad flash - the ECU processor detects an invalid checksum on the EEPROM and doesn't boot up. When you flash the car, you're actually resetting the ECU and loading a custom program into it, hence why you can still start a flash process
    Not quite... that page is effectively empty so the processor is executing empty memory (ie program counter is still incrementing). Cos a whole page is missing, the whole rom/code doesn't run right.
    Nothing to do with checksums, H8 isn't that complex

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

There aren't any current Link boards that are plug & play direct from Link. It's possible that Steve has either 1) modified the Evo 4-8 bottom board, or 2) made a new base board, or 3) does wiring changes...?

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    * Flashing failure towards the start of the EEPROM addresses, this results in a totally dead ECU you cannot fix
    * Flashing failure towards the middle / end of the EEPROM addresses, can sometimes be recovered by flashing back the last good flashed ROM
    To elaborate on this a bit

0x10000 to 0x101FF contain the vector table. This is critical for the H8 proc to boot as it tells the proc what address to jump to on first boot, errors, etc. If this is erased, then definitely would need to desolder the H8 and flash manually - or get another ecu.

0x20000 is the start if the reflash routine, again if this page is erased, might have tough time reflashing. This is the routine that the proc jumps to when voltage is present at the reflash connector, and allows the proc to load the reflash kernel into ram, them execute the kernel from ram to then reflash the rom. if there's nothing to let ecuflash upload the kernel to ram (i.e. the routine is not there), then again new ecu or desolder proc and reflash manually.

Fuel/ignition/bdel maps and all the other stuff that get tweaked are part of the same page as the vector table - which is a little dangerous if the reflash doesn't go well for that segment. In a 7202 this is segment/page LB7 (0x10000 to 0x12FFF)

Reflash routine is part of segment LB3 (0x2000 to 0x23FFF), which is code not data, so usually doesn't get modified unless you are flashing a different rom like KSMods or Halo.

7203 divides the segments differently, which is why the reflash is different and memmodel needs to be set correctly.

Any other areas of rom that are corrupt/erased wouldn’t affect the ability to reflash.

In the @GregorEST case, 0x20000 has attempted to erase, but failed. so the reflash routine might be still intact.
    Last edited by BCX; 15-09-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

I have tried both ecuflash 1.44.4870 and 1.44.4799 but will give 1.38 a shot. Everything else flashes and completes perfectly. The problem only occurs in the 0x00020000 range.

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

Also i have 1998 so a 7202 and i use your defs @BCX.

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

Decided to keep the thread alive here, as per @BCX post at OZVR4 i uploaded the log to drive,
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gv9...ew?usp=sharing
    If possible then @BCX you could send me the 1.41 installer and ill go give it a shot right away.
    Thanks everyone

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixawuttido...3_win.exe?dl=0

Here you go.

Im more active on ozvr4 than here, your post on there triggered me to check here lol.

Name
    Gregor
    Last Online
    07-07-2023
    Country
    England

Thanks!
    But will i still override the read templates and defs with the ones you made?

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

If you're using the default location ie c:\program files... Then grab the rommetadata folder, then reinstall.

You can paste the folder back, or somewhere in ecuflash point to another folder for metadata.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast