Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    All of them...

Hello I'm back...with a suspension question

Hello all...

Since I bought my poorly Legnum and started her revival (new engine, new interior, new brakes, new wheels lol) she has always been veeeery low.

My ear to ear grin often turning to a BRACE FOR IMPACT when going over bumps. I have even scraped my brand new lovely front pipe (RPW all the way from Australia) and holed my sump (messy)... BUT it seemed strange as it seemed to have got more 'collision prone' than when I bought her.

Anyway, fast forward and I have removed the lowered suspension and about to fit replacement adjustable suspension and think I have found the issue:
    She has fairly new looking RS*R Ti2000 springs fitted to standard KYB shocks that have seen better days. I think the issue was not just being low but far too much REBOUND as recent bumps have been as the car 'landed' going downward onto the surface rather than INTO it if that makes sense?

Asking for your collective assistance.... I have been googling the standard ride height of a PRE FACELIFT LEGNUM and getting various heights?

Does anyone have definitive values wheel centre to arch?
    as a start point? I want to lower but higher than she was previously.

OR

Can I have recommendations of a good compromise height. I need a new exhaust ASAP and don't want to pay £900 or so for one before raising a little to protect it...

Oh and the RS*R springs will be up for grabs soon on the FS page....

Thanks and may all your tanks be full!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

If you make it look right you are about the right height IMO. The stock height looks like the car has been jacked up, especially at the front arch. The rear wheel always looks further into the arch than the front. Make the front wheel sit correctly in the front arch and then make the gap from tyre to top of the arch on the rear wheel a bit less.

Not very scientific I know!

This is stock height:
    https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/garage...ent.php?id=312

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    All of them...

Cheers ... I 'took a punt' in the absence of any definate height...the shocks are adjustable height but at least the spring seats/rate is factory fixed. I would hate to be juggling TWO VARIABLES...anyway...after cleaning and painting under arches fitted shocks and got her sat at exactly the height I 'like the look of' at front and back... the back end feels a bit 'floaty' so I am thinking rear centre of gravity too high and on comparison to others there is too big a gap so i'm going to lower rear a little more (luckily the easier job)...

But god it's good to not grind or slam down on every dip or lump on the road.

I have even lost a chunk of sideskirt below front door from slamming down on a speed ramp !
    20211009_153835.jpg20211009_150412.jpg20211009_150539.jpg20211009_153357.jpg
    Last edited by andyp_fto; 13-10-2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: add pics

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Are the shock also adjustable damping? Floaty at the back could be an underdamped shock rather than the ride height.