Jack
    Last Online
    07-11-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

Choosing a intercooler

Does anyone have any real world experience or expertise about intercoolers?
    I'm looking at upgrading mine, and the choises I'm loking at are:
    1) A stock Evo intercooler
    2) Chinese 600x300x76 bar&plate
    3) Chinese 700x230x65 bar and plate
    4) Chinese 770x300x50 tube&fin with 2,5" rear outlets.

Any ideas on which would be the best choise considering cooling, air flow and pressure drop?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

A lot of us are running the generic cheap Chinese 600x300x76, which, with a small spacer kit, requires no cutting to fit.

I don't think anyone has done any particular science on the various options, however!

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    07-11-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of opinions and butt dyno results out there, but not much real facts. The ones doing any testing are usually trying to sell something.
    My thinking is:
    1) Evo might have the best designed core.
    2) 600x300x76 is the one that "everybpdy" has. Biggest volume, but does the part of it squeezed behind the crash bar really do any good?
    3) 700x230x65 A bit smaller surface area, but would fill up the hole in the bumper pretty good, and maybe take better advantage of the airflow? But will it restrict flow and just create more EGT and heat?
    4) Biggest surface area and thinner core. Maybe the best flow of cooling air? But again, the flow to the engine and pressure drop is a question. Tube and fin design might help in this case.

Overall buying made in China stuff is usually a bit of a lottery..

Option 5 is, keep the stock cooler. It's a different design than the other ones. (Vertical vs horizontal flow). Maybe it's not such a bad design after all?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I looked into this recently with @Wouter but I can't remember what we decided. I seem to remember tube and fin is better for most applications? Lighter, so easier to recover from heat soak etc.

I'd be tempted to see if I could fit one below the crash bar, but I'm not sure if your option 3 would do that?

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

I went for a Mishimoto M-Line Universal Inter cooler which is 600x300x76 but rather than being cheap Chinese is made by a known brand with the additional cost that the brand carries.

https://www.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimot...ler-large.html

I for one am happy with the performance boost but then I made a number of changes so who knows how much this specific intercooler impacted the improvements is difficult to say or for that matter how much it gains against a cheap Chinese one...if at all....

My reasoning for buying it was that I see loads of Evo's with this intercooler, I've seen it used in motorsport settings and Mishimoto is an internationally recognized brand. Without the ability to perform a bunch of scientific tests comparing all the options, this is the safest gamble..... also... it came in black which matches my white and black colour scheme.....

I hope this helps you in some way.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    07-11-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

I went for the EVO one, because it was cheap , and i suspect it will do reasonably well in my, mostly stock application.
    Just have to try to find time to install it now..

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

My big question on intercoolers is....if I buy an aftermarket intercooler (leaning towards the mishimoto number) - do I need new pipes and things or can I buy that and a bigger fuel pump and take them to my garage to fit? I've seen full kits on eBay but I'm wary of them being from China

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    My big question on intercoolers is....if I buy an aftermarket intercooler (leaning towards the mishimoto number) - do I need new pipes and things or can I buy that and a bigger fuel pump and take them to my garage to fit? I've seen full kits on eBay but I'm wary of them being from China
    Or if there's a blitz kit going anyone can link me to, that would be a real help (probably asking the world)

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

In the Staged Upgrades sticky, there's a list of the silicone elbows & clamps you'll need to fit a generic 600x300x76 intercooler.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    In the Staged Upgrades sticky, there's a list of the silicone elbows & clamps you'll need to fit a generic 600x300x76 intercooler.
    D'oh! I've been in that thread so I have no excuse - thank you though! Soon as I get him back from the garage, I'll be ordering! Thanks!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

If you have a facelift you may need to change the steel pipe that feeds the intercooler. (The one behind the front foglight.)

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I'll bare that in mind, the biggest issue I see coming will be the cams as it's a regrind and most of the regrinders seem to be in NZ, trying not to worry about it all until I have my car back from the garage (6 weeks now!). Tempted to buy a spare engine and have that one rebuilt and tuned then swap them, although that will probably end up a ballache

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Cams are way down the list of upgrades. How far are you going?

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Cams are way down the list of upgrades. How far are you going?
    Over the next 2-3 years, potentially all 10 steps, although I want to see how I enjoy a little more power with the auto box

It's already had uprated brakes and a stainless exhaust with a sports cat, they were done before I bought it
    I'm waiting (6 weeks now) to get it back from the garage who have been messing around doing the welding underneath, I've taken them in a blitz bov and a blitz Sus induction kit, plus welding to fix the oil leaks, power steering leak etc, I've asked them to do all the servicing, Cambelt and upgrade the spark plugs for me

Definite mods before summer: fuel pump, front mounted intercooler, some kind of software upgrade (whether I need a new ECU or not will depend on how much I tune it)

Been put off the twin td04/ single holset hx35 any time soon as it sounds like the car will be in the garage for a good while and cost a lot
    Plus I'm moving house and that's turned out a lot more expensive than I had planned

Edit: and I've been reading a lot about 6a13 issues with pistons, which is making me think I should know a lot more before I go for turbo upgrades!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    I've taken them a blitz Sus induction kit
    You really don't want that, the air temp in the engine bay is high enough to sap the power. A cold air box or just a quality filter in the original airbox is a far better solution.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    You really don't want that, the air temp in the engine bay is high enough to sap the power. A cold air box or just a quality filter in the original airbox is a far better solution.
    Ah yes I was aware of that - I'll be honest, I knew I'd lose a little power but I wanted a whoosh noise
    I've been looking at a carbon fibre Evo vented bonnet to keep the temperature down but I'm concerned about the water getting in and rust!
    https://www.vipmotorsport.co.uk/Mits...e=210&limit=75

I've actually been hoping to see someone with an aftermarket vented bonnet in a car park since so I could ask them
    What're your thoughts on the bonnet?

Another concern is the ea8a code rather than ec5a
    Last edited by howardalex; 26-12-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

I guess that bonnet will allow water in if it doesn't have a drip tray underneath it. I'd also hazard a guess that it will create a low pressure area over the holes which will suck the air out, this may be good for cooling but may not be helpful for getting air into the pod filter.

There are people who've had carbon bonnets fitted so someone may be able to give further advice.

I'd still absolutely advise not to use the pod filter.

As for the fit of the bonnet, I think that if it fits a standard Galant, it'll fit a VR4 but you should confirm with the supplier for a definitive answer

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I guess that bonnet will allow water in if it doesn't have a drip tray underneath it. I'd also hazard a guess that it will create a low pressure area over the holes which will suck the air out, this may be good for cooling but may not be helpful for getting air into the pod filter.

There are people who've had carbon bonnets fitted so someone may be able to give further advice.

I'd still absolutely advise not to use the pod filter.

As for the fit of the bonnet, I think that if it fits a standard Galant, it'll fit a VR4 but you should confirm with the supplier for a definitive answer
    Thanks TAR! I've asked them to keep the cold air box and k&n filter the previous owner stuck in. Definitely not considering the bonnet now. This is seeming a lot harder than anticipated, when I bought it, I thought twin turbo V6, I'll just get myself a copy of max power at Tesco, order a few parts, take it to a mitsi garage and have an m5 beater in a week

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Haha yeah, I've often thought things should be as easy as tuning ANY model in Gran Turismo!!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Love the Max Power comment!
    I'm with Tim on the induction comments, but with a slightly different main reason. The MAF is very susceptible to air flow changes so if the flow over the MAF is not linear and uniform then there is a very good chance you will not fuel correctly. Most pod filters will either give more flow in the middle or a slight vortex. This usually leads to over fuelling, so a loss of power plus even worse MPG.
    Where are you in the UK? If around the midlands there are a couple of us in Redditch who could chat over what we have done and demonstrate the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast