Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I started my VR4 up today....

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Seems Unlikely View Post
    Blooming hell, I never went that far hahahaha, where are the turrets from, another VR4? Tidy job
    V6 galant that was in my local breakers yard

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

My local yard has been like a father to me all my motoring years
    4or so years ago, I see a vr4 estate in the holding yard. Ask one of the lads is it a manual, he says yeah, he wasn't that impressed having driven it tho I ask them to keep the gearbox and associated. 200quid and it's mine I'm told. An absolute steal as you know. Go back in weekly, waiting for the clearance to get the parts, big day comes? It's a v6 galant that someone has stuck vr4 badges on
    In hindsight I should have got the turrets cut out lol. I got a vr4 boot badge.
    They say there is a fine line between hobby and mental illness...

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Mine moving under its own motive power.

https://youtube.com/shorts/t4WKv58q61A?feature=share

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Ok quick update.
    Alternator problems getting me down to the point I started looking at buying another runabout.Finally sorted that tonight. Couple of hours of putting it back together finally and I should be able to book an MOT test.. Last wheel arch welded up, floorpan cleaned painted and welded, niggly jobs left to do .

20220113_175455.jpg

IMG-546115cf34f957c00aef7cf3d9c6ca93-V.jpg
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 26-01-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Back on the road

Couple of issues that have come up,misfire on cylinder ¹ (under the manifold of course), a vacuum control solenoid fault? and an injector schematic fault code. The Injectors have been spliced into for LPG so I'm wondering if that is the cause. Will get faults cleared,try a coil pack from parts car. And find out what that solenoid is. Watch this space, I'm back baby!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The "vacuum solenoid" fault is most likely a small crack on the little grey canister on the firewall, which is used for the Traction Control system.

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    The "vacuum solenoid" fault is most likely a small crack on the little grey canister on the firewall, which is used for the Traction Control system.
    Thanks very much Confused, I'll take a look at that

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Or a leak in one of the associated vacuum hoses. They're getting on a bit in years so may be starting to crack.

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
    Or a leak in one of the associated vacuum hoses. They're getting on a bit in years so may be starting to crack.
    Or an idiot who disconnected them a few years ago getting them wrong on reassembly? I've got the spares car tho so I'll check all options, thanks peeps

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The TCL vacuum lines are identical in both these, but may as well post up both variances depending on whether you've got the stock 2-port or an aftermarket 3-port boost solenoid, that way you can check that everything is correct

6A13TT-Engine-Vacuum-Auto-TCL.png

6A13TT-Engine-Vacuum-Auto-TCL-3port.png

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Good to hear that another one is back on the road!

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Garry these diagrams are awesome thank you, rep given! I'm going to remove the fuel solenoid section from parts car, in fact most of the vacuum controls and see if that helps clear codes. Thanks so much

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

Thanks Nick, not quite on road yet lol but very close and only minor gremlins from being stood I think. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it all fettled

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

So a briefish update..
    Started up with errors for misfire, injection system, and vac solenoid. Swapped back to original ECU, same faults. Swapped out faulty coil pack and cleared the misfire. Went thru all the vac hoses and still had vac fault even after resets of ECU. Was trying to use evoscan and could datalog but couldn't get DTCs? Swapped ECU again, vac fault cleared, no idea why as I hadn't replaced any hoses. So I was down to one fault. Pulled all the plugs, 5rich clean plugs and 1 looking a bit fouled.. pulled LPG to injector harness and checked injector resistances, all ok. Then noticed that on one plug from LPG to loom that the pin wasn't located properly, pulled it to full extension in plug, pushed into other plug, pin pushed back in.... So I'd found the fault. Fixed that, threw it back together, and now it runs so sweetly again deffo a banana dance moment lol. Thanks everyone for the positivity, here's to some serious consumption of fuel this week

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Well I hope your fuel hasn't gone to the extremes of price that ours has here, I saw $2.65 per litre this week, and it's predicted to skyrocket further due to the Ukraine crisis (we have our own oil reserves and a refinery but years ago our stupid government sold the oil all off to some overseas company so we can't use it).

Anyway it's great you have it back in full working order again. Hopefully it now stays that way for a considerable time but unfortunately these cars are getting rather old so issues do keep appearing.

Name
    Corin
    Last Online
    27-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Pearly VR4

I remember when fuel was that cheap but only just... super unleaded here is equivalent to $3.28 a litre... I don't care about the cost of fuel just yet, having my baby back is worth it lol. Time to finish the LPG install off now though for sure. Corin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
    Well I hope your fuel hasn't gone to the extremes of price that ours has here, I saw $2.65 per litre this week, and it's predicted to skyrocket further due to the Ukraine crisis (we have our own oil reserves and a refinery but years ago our stupid government sold the oil all off to some overseas company so we can't use it).

Anyway it's great you have it back in full working order again. Hopefully it now stays that way for a considerable time but unfortunately these cars are getting rather old so issues do keep appearing.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

That was 91 I was referring to, I never look at the price of 96 as I don't use it, the Legnum has to make do with the 91 which it seems to do well.
    Ouch $3.28 per litre equivalent, that's outrageous. I remember way back when we measured in gallons and it went to $1 per gallon, everyone thought the sky had fallen in. Then it went to $1 per litre and there was lots of wailing about that, now it is getting out of reach for us on the pension who have to manage every dollar carefully. Hopefully after the crises currently going on in the world and COVID come to an end it will settle down a bit otherwise my household will have to cut down to a single car.

Edit: already up to $2.91 per litre seen today 03/03 so $3 per litre any day now. The bit that hurts is that most of that is TAXES!
    Last edited by Tony_T; 03-03-2022 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Additional comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12