Thread: Suggestions for bov or should I go for hybrid valve?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Suggestions for bov or should I go for hybrid valve?

Hey guys

I’m new to forced induction so please go easy on me. I know my 99 vr4 has a recirculating valve. But I’d really like a bov to hear it vent to atmosphere. What are most guy’s running? Hybrid valves possibly? Any suggestions for make and models and pros/cons are appreciated. I’m also a little concerned about screwing up my maf sensor if I vent to atmosphere

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Stalling issues can happen with VTA. I run an HKS SSQV and if I dump at high pressure and then keep the clutch pedal pressed the engine will stall. However I can drive around that and the child in me likes the noise!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

I have a GFB hybrid valve. It allows a small amount to vent so I get a little noise but it stops it causing the engine stall issue Nick mentions. I can set it to VTA or full recirc as well.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I have a GFB hybrid valve. It allows a small amount to vent so I get a little noise but it stops it causing the engine stall issue Nick mentions. I can set it to VTA or full recirc as well.
    Ya I thought hybrid valve might be the way to go as well. I would guess that with a tune you could adjust the afr accordingly anyways. Any tips for hearing turbo spool and flutter or is that pretty much based on size of turbo and psi?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Stalling issues can happen with VTA. I run an HKS SSQV and if I dump at high pressure and then keep the clutch pedal pressed the engine will stall. However I can drive around that and the child in me likes the noise!
    Ya I wanna kinda avoid the stalling issues but maybe only with a tune afterwards could solve that issue? Any tips for hearing turbo spool or flutter as well?

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Would love to hear an answer on that as well, I've bought my vr4 mostly for the noise haha
    Welcome to the board Ryan

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    Would love to hear an answer on that as well, I've bought my vr4 mostly for the noise haha
    Welcome to the board Ryan
    Thanks! Ya the turbo noises are addictive lol.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Turbo flutter is of no use to anyone, it's the turbo stalling due to pressure forcing itself back through the turbo vanes. In extreme cases, it could damage the turbo.

The turbo will need to respool on throttle opening and therefore you'll lose some performance.
    The tiny turbos in the VR4 are not likely to make much noise.

You'd also need to block the BOV in order to create the conditions for flutter to occur.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Turbo flutter is of no use to anyone, it's the turbo stalling due to pressure forcing itself back through the turbo vanes. In extreme cases, it could damage the turbo.

The turbo will need to respool on throttle opening and therefore you'll lose some performance.
    The tiny turbos in the VR4 are not likely to make much noise.

You'd also need to block the BOV in order to create the conditions for flutter to occur.
    Ah I see thanks for the explanation, I’m learning about FI as I go lol. Ya I figured a bigger turbo would be needed to hear the spool. Wasn’t sure if there was any other mods that could enhance the turbo spool noise. I’m guessing maybe an aftermarket intake to free up flow may be beneficial for that

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Rhearty View Post
    I’m guessing maybe an aftermarket intake to free up flow may be beneficial for that
    Yes, but....!

The MAF in these cars is a Karman Vortex type, so there is a grid in the air flow that generates vortices which are in turn sensed. For this to work the flow entering the maf needs to be laminar. Many intake systems create their own vortices and if the air entering the MAF has already got a swirl going on then the MAF tends to over-read the air flow and supply too much fuel, causing lower power and worse consumption. Therefore if you change the intake, look VERY carefully at the design of what you put in - either that or go aftermarket ECU and look at MAP or a different MAF.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Yes, but....!

The MAF in these cars is a Karman Vortex type, so there is a grid in the air flow that generates vortices which are in turn sensed. For this to work the flow entering the maf needs to be laminar. Many intake systems create their own vortices and if the air entering the MAF has already got a swirl going on then the MAF tends to over-read the air flow and supply too much fuel, causing lower power and worse consumption. Therefore if you change the intake, look VERY carefully at the design of what you put in - either that or go aftermarket ECU and look at MAP or a different MAF.
    Ok thanks for the information. I definitely need to look through the forums a bit more and see what guys are running successfully as far as bolt ons and ecu’s. I’m not worried about making too much more than stock horsepower but I’d like the driving experience to be livened up a bit. I’m thinking upgraded fuel pump, maybe a few select Bolt on’s for less air restriction and ecu with an aftermarket tune to turn the boost up

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Intercooler, exhaust with down pipes and decat or high flow cat, fuel pump potentially but with a fuel pressure regulator if you do. Tune. That will be enough to take a second off your 0-60 time and make the car feel a lot more lively. Your headline power will not increase by much, but the peak torque and area under the curve increase by a very decent amount.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

Intercooler, exhaust with down pipes and decat or high flow cat, fuel pump potentially but with a fuel pressure regulator if you do. Tune. That will be enough to take a second off your 0-60 time and make the car feel a lot more lively. Your headline power will not increase by much, but the peak torque and area under the curve increase by a very decent amount.

So with those mods I’ve heard guys turning up to about 12 psi with minimal issues, that sound about right? Also, what are guys usually running for cost effective tunes/ecus? Don’t have a huge budget but I’d still like to get decent stuff

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I'm considering my options for ECU, they seem to be coming in around £1000.... however

https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...uning-Services

Looks like a foxdie tune may be a good way to go, after you've done the intercooler etc.

For the intercooler..... it's a 600x300x76mm Intercooler
    On the standard upgrade threads they recommend getting the hoses because most of the eBay coolers are 76mm at the intercooler, however turbozentrum UK do one that is 63mm so I believe you could shave an extra £110 off your build.

Btw this is just my take from looking through all the basic mods, I'm not an experienced member so give them the weight they deserve

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

I'm considering my options for ECU, they seem to be coming in around £1000.... however

https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...uning-Services

Looks like a foxdie tune may be a good way to go, after you've done the intercooler etc.

For the intercooler..... it's a 600x300x76mm Intercooler
    On the standard upgrade threads they recommend getting the hoses because most of the eBay coolers are 76mm at the intercooler, however turbozentrum UK do one that is 63mm so I believe you could shave an extra £110 off your build.

Btw this is just my take from looking through all the basic mods, I'm not an experienced member so give them the weight they deserve

For sure thanks so much for the input. Wasn’t sure if we were able to reflash the stock ecus or if we had to go aftermarket. Just curious what most guys were running

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I've read on here that the standard ecu will do pretty much everything, upgraded ECU is after turbo work on the list of staged upgrades
    If you are considering going the whole hog and a holset hx35 or similar conversion, you're going to need custom pipes, if you're considering doing it with an external wastegate, could be complex stuff however, I wonder if we could do it cheaper if there were 2 sets being made

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

However I should say....I really want to at least drive my car before I commit to that! Still not back from the garage! And I'd want to be confident in the auto gearbox taking the power and not requiring full forge etc

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    17-12-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 galant vr4

However I should say....I really want to at least drive my car before I commit to that! Still not back from the garage! And I'd want to be confident in the auto gearbox taking the power and not requiring full forge etc
    Hey thanks for the feedback! I think I’d probably like to keep the stock turbo setup honestly. I just want reliable power, I’ve heard guys turning up to 12 psi with a few mods and having pretty good results