Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Mamba td03 upgrade kit

Evening all!

I've spent most of my evenings this week looking at the various threads around upgrading the internals of the td03 to td04 bits and other ideas. Has anyone else seen the mamba td03 kits on eBay?

Looks like something I could easily take to a garage with a new ECU and if the claims are to be believed, go and pick up a 400bhp beast a few days later. Seems too good to be true!

What are your thoughts? Is this just the same as upgrading td03s then they end up blowing up 200 miles later?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193742225...Cclp%3A2332490

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've got upgraded cartridges from them but haven't managed to tune the car properly on them yet. Those are a better spec than the cartridges, but what is possible from them I simply don't know.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    I've got upgraded cartridges from them but haven't managed to tune the car properly on them yet. Those are a better spec than the cartridges, but what is possible from them I simply don't know.
    Thanks for the response Nick! I was thinking they looked too good to be true... seems more promising than I thought

Name
    Mister Bobby
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    2001 VR-4 Sedan

Hi,

I bought full TD03 twin turbo kit directly from Mambatek homepage, they shipped it in a week or so and its currently sitting in a box, waiting for install Currently waiting for forged pistons, rods i already have (PRISM).

https://www.shop.mambatek.com/9-6-Tw...?categoryId=-1

Mambatek on the left, OE on right. Had pair of worn TD03-s and overhauled them at local turbo service. Mambateks have bigger wheels inside etc...

2021-07-19 21.36.05.jpg

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

That's the difference between cartridges and full turbos - they are limited with space on increasing the vane size with stock housings. So full turbos should give a bigger improvement than the cartridges I bought.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by parm View Post
    Hi,

I bought full TD03 twin turbo kit directly from Mambatek homepage, they shipped it in a week or so and its currently sitting in a box, waiting for install Currently waiting for forged pistons, rods i already have (PRISM).

https://www.shop.mambatek.com/9-6-Tw...?categoryId=-1

Mambatek on the left, OE on right. Had pair of worn TD03-s and overhauled them at local turbo service. Mambateks have bigger wheels inside etc...

2021-07-19 21.36.05.jpg
    I'll be interested to hear your feedback on both once fitted! I did promise myself that I wouldn't go for forging or spend more than £5k getting my car in good shape and tuning, although probably pushing towards the figure faster than planned thanks to welding, oil leak, power steering leaks, tyres, window fixes etc.

Thanks for posting the pic as well, the rotor is massive by comparison!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm not convinced that forging is required as early as some do it. There was once a VR4 running 500 bhp and 450 lbft on TD04's and had stock internals.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

With adequate tuning to limit torque, then I do think that the stock internals will hold up much longer than people think.

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4

I installed the Mamba turbos to my Galant over Christmas. I bough the exact kit you posted above. They turned up within a week of purchasing them which was decent. They have definitely made a difference over the standard turbos. So much so that my clutch has now started slipping The turbos spool at a similar RPM to standard but hit harder and also hold higher up in the revs. They definitely have more to give but I am only running the standard 0.8 bar spring in the waste gate for now. I plan on raising the boost once all the supporting mods have been done.

I'm keen to see how it will perform on a dyno run once completed

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_A95 View Post
    I installed the Mamba turbos to my Galant over Christmas. I bough the exact kit you posted above. They turned up within a week of purchasing them which was decent. They have definitely made a difference over the standard turbos. So much so that my clutch has now started slipping The turbos spool at a similar RPM to standard but hit harder and also hold higher up in the revs. They definitely have more to give but I am only running the standard 0.8 bar spring in the waste gate for now. I plan on raising the boost once all the supporting mods have been done.

I'm keen to see how it will perform on a dyno run once completed
    Does it put you back in your seat when you accelerate? I'm really not a racer but I do want a nice sound (check) and put you back in your seat feeling under acceleration (no check)

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4

I can't really say at the moment. I've taken the car off the road for now for the winter months. The few miles I did, it definitely felt stronger , but I wouldn't say it puts you back in your seat. They are still pretty small turbos compared to today's standard. Saying that though , I was running them on a standard car and with the right mods I think they could hit pretty hard. Running 0.8 bar felt like the standard turbos running 1bar I would say. So in standard form they are already putting out the max the standard turbos could. So chuck in a another .2/.4 bar and I think the car is going to fly.

In my opinion , if you're looking for a hassle free turbo upgrade, I would definitely look at these. Firstly we don't have many choices for replacement turbos on these cars
    Secondly , they are pretty much a direct swap for the standard ones. So fitting them was was probably as easy as putting standard ones back on. We didn't have to modify anything on the turbo or the car to make them fit as you would have to if you chose the TD04 route.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I think I'm sold on the concept! Hit the nail on the head there it seems like the best option! I'd order now if I had the car back

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    07-11-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_A95 View Post
    I can't really say at the moment. I've taken the car off the road for now for the winter months. The few miles I did, it definitely felt stronger , but I wouldn't say it puts you back in your seat. They are still pretty small turbos compared to today's standard. Saying that though , I was running them on a standard car and with the right mods I think they could hit pretty hard. Running 0.8 bar felt like the standard turbos running 1bar I would say. So in standard form they are already putting out the max the standard turbos could. So chuck in a another .2/.4 bar and I think the car is going to fly.

In my opinion , if you're looking for a hassle free turbo upgrade, I would definitely look at these. Firstly we don't have many choices for replacement turbos on these cars
    Secondly , they are pretty much a direct swap for the standard ones. So fitting them was was probably as easy as putting standard ones back on. We didn't have to modify anything on the turbo or the car to make them fit as you would have to if you chose the TD04 route.
    Any updates on this? The Mambas are tempting me.. xD

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by LegnumPower View Post
    Any updates on this? The Mambas are tempting me.. xD
    I've still been running the car on lower boost at the moment until I can get it mapped with the larger injectors. I've put a few miles on this this year with no issues.

I hope to have the car mapped and Dyno'd soon. I just need to find someone local that can do it for me.

Name
    Konrad
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4 FL

Any more updates?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've now bought the full mamba turbo upgrade and installed them. Unfortunately I only did 500 miles before I spun a bottom end bearing. Initial feedback is that they spool up a little slower but hold boost further up the rev range. I can't be more specific than that. My engine is currently completely stripped whilst I see if the crank is still usable.

Name
    Konrad
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4 FL

sad to hear that, gl with rebuild