18-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 Legnum

Cool An uninformed idiot...

I own both:
    1997 2.5 STR White, with black leather interior mahogany console
    1998 (Type S or Type V???) Twin Turbo, Red on the outside, Red and Black Interior, with ASC ABS and TCL first registered March of 1998.
    I love the sound of the turbos spooling. I named her Lucy after Lucifer because she's a red devil.

Well I never liked cars until I watched Fromula 1: Drive to Survive. That made me get my learner license and become an F1 fan, that was 2020. Then I owned an MGF convertible, but I ruined the clutch within six months. Also overtaking sucked it had nothing over a 100. I loved dumping the clutch at stop lights, which of course isn't good for any car let alone a British car from 1997. Oopsie daisy.
    End of 2020 I got a white 1997 Legnum. Bog standard cloth interior I didn't like. But the car was reliable and enough fun, though I think the lock barrel is wearing, which requires a few furious turns of the ignition to start. But it only failed to start once due to a loose neutral cable on the battery. Owned it for just over a year now.

Late last year I was watching a video on general car parts that should be replaced I thought my Legnum might have a cabin filter so why not just have a quick check? Foolishly I took the glove box off and left it screwed in on the plastic clips and, well, it broke, why? Because I am young and stupid.
    So I found a car at a scrapyard and I needed my wisdom tooth out, both of which were in the same town. So I booked the dentist, and went to get my glovebox. Trudging around a scrapyard with a bleeding hole in my mouth low and behold, it didn't only have a glovebox it had a beautiful black leather interior. So I HAD to buy the interior and the glovebox. I also bought the mahogany wheel to match my center console.
    Once I broke the glovebox I lurked the forums looking for answers, you and the folks at OzVR4 have some useful information. But a lot of the external links and photos are dead, absolutely. worthless. Which, to be honest saddens me, nothing worse than useful obscure information disappearing due to time simply because the website address changed, or was migrated, or deleted altogether. I'm a bit of a data hoarder, currently with 13.5TB.
    Anyway, I switched out the interior and (I have yet to install the steering wheel) and it's still my daily as to the writing of this post. In fact, I enjoyed my white one so much I started researching the "best Legnum model" So of course I bought a TT model with a cool interior. A TT model that has 256,000KMs a life of being thrashed, I'm sure. But I don't care every time I walk out to my white Legnum I'm always admiring my Red Legnum which either doesn't hold boost or has a fuelling issue. Two different garages don't have a clue about the acceleration problem. It's an old car, so I might as well start replacing stuff till it works. I built my first PC at 16 thanks to internet guides, I feel as though I can do the same with a car, helpful mechanic friend who owns a hoist, and of course a helpful forum community.

I'm sure you'll see me posting more, and asking idiotic questions which I swear I'll only do after exhausting the search button and cross referencing with online manuals.
    I'd love an excuse to buy a 3D printer to print custom and replacement parts for my Legnum, if I ever do I'd gladly sell stuff to you folks. If I can be bothered I'll maybe even film some helpful videos for YouTube since there are very few of those.
    For the sake of documentation I uploaded pictures of my Red and Black interior.

Finally a few questions for you:
    What is my car a Type S or a Type V or a, I don't know Type?
    How can I save my forum posts as a private draft on the website? I like to type out my posts then comeback to it to re-read and add info and check I don't make myself look totally stupid. And no I don't really want to type it out into a .txt file and ctrl+x.
    Who do I send money too to become a member?
    Should I put the leather interior from the white one in the red one or keep it as it is? I feel terrible changing out the special red and black interior, but I think I'll keep the front two red and black Recaro seats, leather interior door cards and backseat. Then eventually getting the cloth seats re-upholstered to match the backseat.
    I find with the leather seats, you slide out a bit when doing a u-turn fast, but the Recaros have flared sides that can be adjusted. Also a simpler solution is to go slower, but then why own a Twin Turbo?
    Is it just me or does the "carbon fibre" console just look tacky after all these years?
    Where can I buy a replacement door rubber seal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220205_171535.jpg   20220205_171539.jpg   20220205_171547.jpg   20220205_171552.jpg   20220205_171611.jpg  

20220205_171650.jpg  

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I'm completely uninformed but does type s Vs type v break down into whether you have AYC or not? Mine's a UK one with AYC so I guess it's the equivalent of the...s(?)

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

I suspect you have a rather rare (but not extra valuable) 2nd special edition pre-facelift type S. I've personally never seen one!

Have a look at this thread for more info - https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showth...t=pre+facelift

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Evaldas
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EA2W 98'

Looking at the parts from the photos, it looks more likely like a Super VR4 and in quite rare Red color, would love to see some photos of exterior.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

The 2nd special edition was indeed called the Super VR-4.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'd concur - looks like a red super. Only around 300 made IIRC.