Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my vr4 back for 2 hours.....

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Had my vr4 back for 2 hours.....

Hi all,
    Bought my galant back 3 or 4 months ago, immediately ended up in the garage after driving it twice....I finally got it back today after work...drove home and then took my brother out on the motorway to show him the result - 4 or 5 miles into the drive, suddenly the car won't accelerate in drive and it was bouncing off the rev limiter....I managed to get off the motorway safely (thank God for some green lights coming off!) and into a side Street....big leak underneath the front, car won't pull in gear.
    So I've been towed home and I'm now praying it's not a whole new gearbox!
    What am I doing with my life?

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

They don’t like towing!.
    Was it atf that had leaked?.
    If so it may just need a refill if you caught it in time.
    The atf is cooled in the bottom tank (separate) of the radiator, and the pipes there are prone to rust.
    Many folk fit a manual rad and fit a separate atf cooler fir the gearbox.
    Hope it’s an easy fix.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

It seems to be around the same place as the power steering was leaking, I've got a truck recovering it to the garage today so I'll keep you posted. I'll be honest, I'm starting to agree with every woman in my life who told me not to buy it!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    It seems to be around the same place as the power steering was leaking, I've got a truck recovering it to the garage today so I'll keep you posted. I'll be honest, I'm starting to agree with every woman in my life who told me not to buy it!
    Sorry not very specific if the power steering goes all around the front.... it's directly underneath the bit in the engine with the long dipstick, I assume this is engine oil....its over on the passenger side of the car quite close to the front

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

That's a real shame

As @Louis said, though, it does sound like maybe it's dropped its transmission fluid, and a likely culprit is the lines that go from the gearbox to the cooler, which are all on the front passenger side of the engine bay and loop up the side of the radiator. We use these lines to flush the gearbox, as the fluid is pumped pretty quickly through them, so if one split, it wouldn't take long for it to push out all the fluid, and leave you without drive.

First thing to check is the gearbox fluid level with the dipstick, and then carefully check those lines for any signs that that's where the leak has come from.

Hopefully it's a simple fix! And if you've not done so, to fill the gearbox with some fresh Amsoil ATF!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I did have a check of that dipstick last night and there was nothing in there - fingers crossed guys or there might be some recently repaired parts getting listed in parts for sale

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

And thank you for the quick responses guys!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

As you look from front of car.
    The battery is on your right. just beside it is the ATF Transmission gear oil dipstick.
    The engine oil dipstick is on the left in front of the timing belt coverer the strut top.

The full lower section tank of the radiator is the atf cooler. There are metal pipes on the lower part of the radiator that take the fluid from the gearbox to the rad.
    There are two pipes, one sends and one returns.
    There are two rubber hose connections at the front lower of the gearbox, that connect to the metal pipes to the rad.

The pipes are prone to corrosion. the rubber hose connectors can burst or leak with age.
    If the fluid exited a lot ab once, it will either be a pipe burst at lower rear of radiator, or on the way to and from the gearbox. Or the rubber hose connections to these pipes.
    These two pipes and the drain plug are the only places where fluid could leak out quickly.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

The more I look at it, the more I think this is the original leak I took it to the garage with! They repaired a power steering leak and did some welding for an oil leak so I guess at least once this is done, it'll be pretty much future proofed! I will say, in the few miles I did cover, the blitz bov sounded fantastic, very subtle and the ideas of massive horsepower aren't seeming as good, frankly the stock engine is nippy enough as is

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

There is an oil seal holding back the ATF fluid in the gearbox which can be prone to failing. When it does, the ATF spills out fairly quickly. You'd see it as a coating of ATF under the gearbox going back along the underside of the car.

It's the torque converter oil seal and it's a big job to change as you need to remove the gearbox. Hopefully it's not this which has failed.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Car still hasn't been picked up so I'm just hoping it isn't a gearbox out job! Gutting as it's now entering the realm of "could've got a 640d for that"

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Update for you all - sorry I haven't been around - turns out it was a minor part to be replaced and some transmission oil! Phew!
    Car's now running fine and I've taken it in for alloy refurb and powder coating, plus probably a deep polish as it's got a few age related minor scratches!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Happy to hear it's back up and running!

Out of curiosity, what was the "small part" - just in case others have issues in the future

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I'll be honest, I'm not sure! It was a corroded pipe and it was around the front, my bill included "pipe" at around £50, I didn't get chance to have a chat with them as I just managed to pick it up as they were closing after work - my total bill including recovery and labour for the work, labour for driving it around up to temperature, transmission oil and "pipe" was under £300 so my conclusion is this was quite easy to get to

Feedback on the car so far as basically a brand new owner - they're pretty nippy off the line, aren't they?
    Very sticky in the corners (noticed this going back to the Corsa while it's in for wheels) and it's very very thirsty too - the fuel gauge seems to move a lot faster past the half way mark as well

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds like it could have been off to the cooler in the bottom of the radiator - there's a couple of rubber pipes and metal pipes. Thankfully a cheap fix!

And yeah, they can set off like a scolded cat! Wait until you get a chance to meet up with us at a garage weekend/dyno day and we up the boost for you! They are exceptionally sticky in the corners, unlike most cars, the stability control & Active Yaw Control (torque vectoring on the rear differential) is designed to make you go round corners faster - most cars it's all about slowing you down and making it "safe" and "boring"

And yeah... they're quite thirsty! That is the one down-side to them - but they are so much fun, that I think it's worth it!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

16468482767641139559391454038456.jpg

"Pipe"

Oh yeah I can't wait for the boost! Thirstiness is definitely worth it!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Result!

Glad you clarified it was a PS pipe. Not a fan of folk messing with the autobox, even good mechanics, if they don't know the peculiarities of this one, such as not being a simply drain and refill or wrongly chucking in Dexron-III ATF
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

@elnevio I'm not convinced it was a power steering pipe - with the loss of drive.

I agree completely that you don't want random mechanics (even those working at any remaining Mitsubishi dealership) touching the auto gearbox - WAY too many stories of people having gearbox issues down the line after having a fluid "change" by someone who doesn't know them inside-out, like we do here.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Oooh, yeaaah... then I'm not a massive fan of seeing 'Power Steering Fluid - General Hydraulic Fluid' if that's gone in the gearbox. I'd find out the actual spec from the garage if I could!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Getting worried now

Will it be okay for a few hundred miles commuting then get this looked at when I find a tuning garage? Can't rely on my local garages to sort anything properly at this point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast