Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had my vr4 back for 2 hours.....

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    Getting worried now

Will it be okay for a few hundred miles commuting then get this looked at when I find a tuning garage? Can't rely on my local garages to sort anything properly at this point
    Does it say anywhere how much they used? The autobox capacity is 8.9L. So a litre or so of 'the wrong stuff' wouldn't make a great deal of difference. It might even be the right stuff after all.

If it were me, I'd probably drive it around for a bit and not worry. These autoboxes are surprisingly resilient, despite what's already been said. I think the biggest issue is when overheating of the fluid happens which then breaks down and is no longer doing its job, causing things like varnishing in the box and excessive wear. This will happen to a lesser fluid much sooner, but obviously depends on stress, so pootling about is less likely to lead to issues than sustained high speed driving, track use (or track-style driving! ), or towing.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

As Nev said, if you can find out what's been used by the garage, then you'll know!

If you don't know, and can't find out, then I would strongly recommend doing a full flush with Amsoil ATF.

Good news - there's an upcoming Garage Weekend soon, so you'll have access to some of the most knowledgeable people in the country all together in one place to assist you (or, if you smile sweetly enough, maybe even do the job for you!)

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Thanks for the reassurance...I did notice a couple of things yesterday.....I kicked down once I'd got on the motorway to overtake (and hear the whoosh noise) and it seemed to redline in neutral then went into a lower gear - that enough has convinced me it needs all the oil out and the right stuff going in asap.

I also noticed a rough idle upon starting, which went away when I tapped on the accelerator a couple of times up to 2500-3000rpm. Also the battery light flashed for a second so something to investigate there. I know the car went through several batteries before I bought it, but I put that down to it sitting on the owner's drive for years unused, thurs and fri I've been driving around 16 miles a day to work and back. If it happens again then I'm putting battery and alternator on the check out list.

The garage swapped in the induction kit I brought in (bought it, changed my mind, told them then they fitted it anyway) but luckily I still have the old parts in the boot so that will probably get out back on.... plus it has an aftermarket head unit and cd changer in the boot so I'm wondering if that could have caused the battery issues
    Either way they're going in the near future!

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Thanks for the reassurance...I did notice a couple of things yesterday.....I kicked down once I'd got on the motorway to overtake (and hear the whoosh noise) and it seemed to redline in neutral then went into a lower gear - that enough has convinced me it needs all the oil out and the right stuff going in asap.

I also noticed a rough idle upon starting, which went away when I tapped on the accelerator a couple of times up to 2500-3000rpm. Also the battery light flashed for a second so something to investigate there. I know the car went through several batteries before I bought it, but I put that down to it sitting on the owner's drive for years unused, thurs and fri I've been driving around 16 miles a day to work and back. If it happens again then I'm putting battery and alternator on the check out list.

The garage swapped in the induction kit I brought in (bought it, changed my mind, told them then they fitted it anyway) but luckily I still have the old parts in the boot so that will probably get out back on.... plus it has an aftermarket head unit and cd changer in the boot so I'm wondering if that could have caused the battery issues
    Either way they're going in the near future!
    Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. Keep at it. I strongly considered buying your car, I don't think my wallet could have taken the hit. I dread to think how many thousands I've spent on VR4's over the years. Definitely the most unreliable cars I've ever known (I've had 4), but so addicting. Keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Smart move! Now I've spent (£4000?) On it, it's worth the £5500.... maybe

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I kicked down once I'd got on the motorway to overtake (and hear the whoosh noise) and it seemed to redline in neutral then went into a lower gear
    worth the oil for peace of mind, but occasionally depending on how aggressive you stomp it the gearbox can just be a bit daft (It has a few times shifted from 5th with lockup to 2nd at ~57 mph flew to redline and shifted again to 3rd within maybe 1s for me)

flaring is normally more noticed up-shift than down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOwS2xG9DM 1-2 shift, ok, 2-3 ouch, 3-4 ok is that what you experienced, or more of a dopey shift?

Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 22-03-2022 at 07:39 PM.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    worth the oil for peace of mind, but occasionally depending on how aggressive you stomp it the gearbox can just be a bit daft (It has a few times shifted from 5th with lockup to 2nd at ~57 mph flew to redline and shifted again to 3rd within maybe 1s for me)

flaring is normally more noticed up-shift than down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOwS2xG9DM 1-2 shift, ok, 2-3 ouch, 3-4 ok is that what you experienced, or more of a dopey shift?

It sounds very much like the 5th to second scenario to be honest, I wasn't watching the dash when I did it but it went very loud for a good second or two before finding a gear to pull in, I assumed it had gone into neutral then into the gear but could easily have been one gear too low then up a gear, foot always flat to the floor in those scenarios lol
    It definitely feels clumsier since I got it back although how much of that is in my head, no idea

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

More flaring and feeling less precise than before sounds a bit like incorrect fluid.

But, it could just be the ECU in its learning mode, it can take 200-400 miles of driving to figure out what shifting speeds and pressures it can do under various circumstances.

If you can't confirm the fluid that's in there, I would want to be looking at a full flush & change with Amsoil.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

I've already asked one of the members on here, will be getting 12 quarts for a full flush and I'm going to do the engine at the same time
    I guess the big thing then is do I fit my own intercooler and spark plugs or do I ask them to do it?

I'm half way moved into my new house and I underestimated the cost of furnishing a whole house from scratch (and windows, plastering etc)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12