Kevin
    Last Online
    28-08-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Hello

HI, I bought a 1997 VR-4 saloon just over a year ago with the aim of restoring her to her former glory. Unfortunately the previous owner drove the car slammed to the ground on Tein coilover suspension so the exhaust was smashed up and all the bushings need replacing. My main problem though is he'd run the gearbox dry and I've been told it's trashed. Can anybody help me in finding a replacement manual gearbox or point me in the right direction on what other boxes would work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails galant day 1.jpg  

Name
    LM
    Last Online
    23-02-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum Type-S

Unfortunate! I'm no expert but I don't think there are any other gearboxes that fit the VR-4, at least directly. The evo gearboxes are very similar but the bolt mounting holes don't line up exactly. Manual gearboxes are hard to find, there are some in Russia but with the current situation it's highly likely impossible to buy them. Auto gearboxes shouldn't be as hard to find, if you're willing to just swap to another one instead of a manual. I don't know if you've driven on the auto box yet (properly anyway), but they're not your run of the mill auto boxes. I actually quite like it even though I do eventually want to swap to a manual.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi and welcome to Club VR-4.

If your car is already a manual, it'll be far easier to get the box rebuilt than try to find another one.

If it's an auto, you'll need lots of other parts to complete a conversion.

As mentioned above, the bellhousing on manual Evo boxes have different bolt locations and the gearing is different.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I agree with Tim.
    Manual boxes are fetching a couple of grand now and rebuilding yours is likely to be cheaper or at least give you a better box. There is a guy on the lancer register called Clive w and he is widely considered to be the best person in the country to rebuild these boxes.