Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Manual gearbox conversion kit

  1. #1
    Zecuel's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    LM
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    14
    Country
    Other
    Location
    Finland
    Car
    Legnum Type-S
     

    Manual gearbox conversion kit

    So as it turns out, my Legnum will be getting a heart surgery (Knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door) and I figured I might as well swap the transmission while the engine is out anyway. I'm looking for a gearbox with everything else required to complete the swap, thought I might as well post here on the off-chance someone has a kit laying around.. I found one in Australia but the shipping is likely to be astronomical (to Finland).
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 11-05-2022 at 08:26 AM.

  2. #2
    russhowe's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Russell
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    14-05-2022
    Posts
    169
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Carmarthen UK
    Car
    Passat B6 TDI
     
    It wouldn't hurt to get a quote at least for shipping, at least you know what you're dealing with then.

    That said, I hope someone closer to you has what you need or can tell you what bits you need to make it work

    Let us know how it goes

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    2006 VW PAssat B6 Tdi 140 BKP (Daily driver)
    1996 Legnum VR4 TYpe-S EC5W0009510 (Weekend Toy)
    1996 Legnum VR4 Type-S EC5W0010354 (Parts Car)

  3. #3
    TAR's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Tim
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    346
    Posts
    3,801
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Off the top of my head you'll need the following parts:

    Gearbox
    Flexplate (between gearbox and engine)
    Flywheel
    Spacer plus fixing bolts (to allow correct alignment of an Evo flywheel, which is a regular upgrade option)
    clutch
    clutch cover bolts
    clutch release bearing
    gear selector and cover
    gear knob
    gear selector cables (optionally use skateboard bearings a couple of quid each to firm up the gear shift)
    gear selector cable mounting brackets for engine bay
    clutch master cylinder
    clutch slave cylinder including pipework to connect master to slave
    gearbox side engine mount
    Brake pedal
    Clutch pedal
    reverse switch wiring plug

    Manual dash
    Manual ECU if you can't flash your own

    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

    My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

  4. #4
    Zecuel's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    LM
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    14
    Country
    Other
    Location
    Finland
    Car
    Legnum Type-S
     
    Thanks! I have the same list except for the engine mount, I haven't heard of anyone swapping them while doing this project. Is it different somehow?

    Mine is a FL if that makes a difference

  5. #5
    adaxo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Adam
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-05-2022
    Membership ID
    633
    Posts
    5,175
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Worsley
    Car
    EC5W
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Zecuel View Post
    Thanks! I have the same list except for the engine mount, I haven't heard of anyone swapping them while doing this project. Is it different somehow?

    Mine is a FL if that makes a difference
    Im sure Tim meant gearbox side mount (can be called engine mount) its different between auto and manual

    BTW I do have most of parts needed (including box), just cant decide if I want to sell it
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

    living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

    My recent and ex Mitsubishi's


  6. #6
    Zecuel's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    LM
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    14
    Country
    Other
    Location
    Finland
    Car
    Legnum Type-S
     
    Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    Im sure Tim meant gearbox side mount (can be called engine mount) its different between auto and manual

    BTW I do have most of parts needed (including box), just cant decide if I want to sell it

    51b27f8107b5d3a08e8442d5149784db.png

    Thanks Adam! Would it be part #18 in this picture then? Seems to differ a little bit from the auto one at least.
    Which parts are you missing from the kit? I'd be interested definitely, as shipping from Aus would be something like 2000 euros..!
    Last edited by Zecuel; 28-04-2022 at 09:25 PM.

  7. #7
    TAR's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Tim
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    346
    Posts
    3,801
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    Yeah, I meant the gearbox mount. It's definitely different on a PFL car.

  8. #8
    Zecuel's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    LM
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    14
    Country
    Other
    Location
    Finland
    Car
    Legnum Type-S
     
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Off the top of my head you'll need the following parts:

    Gearbox
    Flexplate (between gearbox and engine)
    Flywheel
    Spacer plus fixing bolts (to allow correct alignment of an Evo flywheel, which is a regular upgrade option)
    clutch
    clutch cover bolts
    clutch release bearing
    gear selector and cover
    gear knob
    gear selector cables (optionally use skateboard bearings a couple of quid each to firm up the gear shift)
    gear selector cable mounting brackets for engine bay
    clutch master cylinder
    clutch slave cylinder including pipework to connect master to slave
    gearbox side engine mount
    Brake pedal
    Clutch pedal
    reverse switch wiring plug

    Manual dash
    Manual ECU if you can't flash your own

    So Tim, I'll be getting the bits from Adam & Andy in a moment ( ), thought I'd swap the selector cable bushings while they're easy to swap out.
    I found a few threads suggesting certain skateboard bearings for PFL, but the bits to mine will be off a FL, which uses 2 different sizes for the bushings.. Would you happen to know the dimensions of the bearings I need?

  9. #9
    TAR's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Tim
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    346
    Posts
    3,801
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    I'm sorry, I don't know the sizes, maybe @adaxo or @Nick Mann would know

  10. #10
    adaxo's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    Adam
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-05-2022
    Membership ID
    633
    Posts
    5,175
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Worsley
    Car
    EC5W
    My Garage
    Visit
     
    I didn't know either if there was a difference between pfl and FL box bushes, I did follow thread there and they just fit to my setup.

  11. #11
    Zecuel's Avatar

    Offline
     
    Name
    LM
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Last Online
    Today
    Posts
    14
    Country
    Other
    Location
    Finland
    Car
    Legnum Type-S
     
    The kit is now bought, courtesy of @adaxo & @andyp_fto Manual conversion time!!!

Similar Threads

  1. FS : Manual Gearbox + most conversion parts
    By pixelplay in forum NZ Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-05-2015, 11:11 PM
  2. 6a12TT manual gearbox conversion
    By bastek69 in forum Gearbox / Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 04:21 AM
  3. WTB: Manual gearbox conversion WANTED
    By zemo86 in forum UK Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
  4. Auto to Manual Gearbox conversion
    By zemo86 in forum Gearbox / Transmission
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-11-2010, 08:41 PM
  5. Manual gearbox conversion
    By Humpty's Revenge in forum UK Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-03-2010, 04:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •