Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

SRS error

Hi guys, I recently had my steering wheel refurbished. The SRS light is now on, but there is no flashing error code. A local garage tried to clear it with a snap-on Zeus but they said the code came straight back on. Any ideas what the problem could be. Thanks.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

The Snap-on tool is unlikely to speak MUT III language so probably can't clear the fault code. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a minute or so to reset the controller? I know it's a pain because the transmission and engine controllers forget all the learnt settings for your driving, but it may work, may not.
    Did the refurbishment damage any connections for the airbag in the steering wheel? Did anything disturb the 'clock spring' that brings the connections to the car's loom?
    The absence of a flash code does suggest it is still showing a historical code rather than a current one, was the battery still connected when the steering wheel was removed, this would likely have set a code back then which may still be stored in memory. If battery reset doesn't clear it (some controllers store things in non-volatile memory) you'll need to seek out someone friendly with a MUT to clear it for you.

Name
    LM
    Last Online
    23-02-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum Type-S

My first step would be to get a dealership (or someone with a MUT) to clear the code. I don't think disconnecting the battery clears SRS codes.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

@Zecuel I have a feeling that you are correct but it might be worth a try first since dealers are expensive and MUT's (or MUT software on a PC with the correct adapters) are not that common out in the wild. I wonder if Evoscan can do it? Lots of EVO guys around and other Mitsi folks who use Evoscan.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The only devices that we've had confirmation that will work with clearing SRS codes are listed in this thread: Clearing SRS (Airbag) Fault Codes. Disconnecting the battery does not clear SRS errors.

EvoScan does not connect to the SRS ECU, nor clear error codes. In fact, EvoScan is only good on a VR-4 for reading live data from an ECU.

@foxdie has a Launch X431 which he will be bringing to my Garage Weekend next weekend...

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yep I'll be bringing the X431 to the Garage Weekend @CHESHIRECAT
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Cheers, I would like to make it there but it is unlikely, even if the welding is done in time, I can't get an MOT with the SRS light on.

Name
    simon
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant/legnum

If the steering wheel was removed/swapped for refurb shouldn't the battery have been disconnected for 10 minutes before removal/swap for safety reasons incase the airbag deployed? I left my battery disconnected for half an hour paranoid it was still going to blow up in my face.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Yes I did that. I think I may have turned the ignition on while doing other jobs before I got the wheel back