Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

info on a diagnosis code Engine 64

I did a check for codes and got engine code 64 "FR Alternator System Terminal"
    Anyone know the meaning of this one??.doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the alternate etc all working as normal, I am trying to track down a rough idea when starting from hot.

only code I'm getting the engine is this one, (flashy dash method used)
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

This may be of help. It's from an FTO forum but I think it's talking about the same error code and likely the VR4 has the same monitoring for the alternator

https://www.ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?t=22986
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have a theory, although it is unproven, which is that the solenoid located next to the boost solenoid, is responsible for raising fuel pressure during hot restart (by bypassing the normal vacuum feed the Fuel Pressure Regulator sees), raising the fuel pressure to the base of 3 bar, rather than the normal operating pressure of 3 bar ± manifold pressure.

Over time, and the position of this solenoid, I think they're failing - I've certainly seen a lot of boost solenoids fail, and I think this solenoid failing is not allowing the warm-start corrections the ECU is expecting to work properly.

I suspect changing this solenoid for a working one may resolve the poor running on a hot restart until you've given the engine a bit of a rev and it starts pulling in cooler air again.

As for the engine light, as Louis has indicated, it's part of the feedback circuit that the ECU uses to control charging rate - the alternator doesn't require it, and will happily run without ECU control (as I am on my Anglia with its Link ECU, and some other cars I've set up with a Link ECU), but the stock ECU will throw a fault if it doesn't see this signal.