Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

always nice to have somrthing furry in your hands !! dont you agree ?? by the time I manage to post a pic on here, hell will have frozen over !!!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

sticking them to the monitor with blue tack didn't work !! [98]

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

eheh, that reminds me, a couple years ago we had a problem with a server somewhere in on the world, we asked the computacentre guy to take a print screen of the error message and email it to us INSERT INTO post VALUES (server was off the network) - so he did, but he took a picture of the screen!. im like wtf is this guy on cocaine or something... the guy is a hardware enggineer and couldnt even do a print screen
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

I am to computers, like Bernard Manning is to hang gliding !!! I'm a sparky !! trician !! housebasher...... whatever !!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Originally posted by interlec
    I am to computers, like Bernard Manning is to hang gliding !!! I'm a sparky !! trician !! housebasher...... whatever !!
    and just to complete the century ... Zedy , are you loking ?? the pics of my legnum will be on here early next week.... as soon as my data man gets back from Norfolk

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

hi

i wasnt looking, needed an early night

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

19" wheels are too risky !!! spoken to a couple of manufacturers who state in thier brochures that 19" rims will fit the VR4. BUT... they also say " see notes at back of brochure " :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( bodywork modifications may be required !! so basically if you buy them & they foul the arches, TOUGH !!! So I'm sticking to 18". AND.... I've ordered FOX PREMIER FP1 in titanium.18 x 7.5" 5 spoke alloys, with 215/40/18 Hankook tyres. cant upgrade the tyres on this deal, so will have to wear them out pretty quick to get some proper rubber ! .and the price !!! £787.49. now that is not expensive , should get them this week hopefully, 'cus I go away on sat .....................should I mention the name, Ha****ds. ??

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Originally posted by interlec
    I'm a sparky !! trician !! housebasher...... whatever !!
    I'm sorta like one of them and I can do it!

As for the wheels, I know for a fact 17's are completely fine even with a full car they still don't create any problems.
    They still look very big on the car compared to original wheels.

18's 19's may look good but only for cosmetic purposes as you will soon find rubbing etc, a MUCH harder ride, lack of grip due to much lower profile tyres because they don't flex as much as higher profile tyres, so forget the great grip your VR-4 had before.. you will have worse traction than an old car using cross ply tyres!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Originally posted by Brind
    I'm sorta like one of them and I can do it!

As for the wheels, I know for a fact 17's are completely fine even with a full car they still don't create any problems.
    They still look very big on the car compared to original wheels.

18's 19's may look good but only for cosmetic purposes as you will soon find rubbing etc, a MUCH harder ride, lack of grip due to much lower profile tyres because they don't flex as much as higher profile tyres, so forget the great grip your VR-4 had before.. you will have worse traction than an old car using cross ply tyres!
    so you reckon I've just wasted £787.49 ?? :mad: not to worry , they look good in my opinion. getting them fitted on thurs, all being well. & if your a true sparky, meet me on site on monday !!! I'll keep you going for a few months

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

interlac

u watching mate this is my 100th posts now..

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

what kept you mate ??? just woke up ??. really need to sell my old wheels now , [ new, but not needed, should I say ] do you know of any other cars they might fit ?? 5 stud 114.3 pcd ??

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

interlac

mazda rx7
    300 zx
    supra

Name
    calum
    Last Online
    02-01-2021
    Country
    Scotland

Originally posted by Brind
    My Legnum's lowered and had 18" x 8.0" Volk Racing wheels on it. The ride is indeed a bit harsher but there are NO problems with rubbing. To make sure you're getting wheels that will not cause you any problems get ones with the correct offset. Remember, too, that you need a different offset if you're getting a different width of wheel.

Use this to see the difference it will make.

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

My 18" x 8.0 wheels have a +35 offset and also had 10mm spacers fitted to get enough clearance from the rear suspension strut.

The diameter of the wheels is not so critical, as long as your wheel and tyre combination is not that much different to the standard.

According to this,
    http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm
    a 225/50 x 16" setup has a 0.34" smaller overall diameter than a 225/35 x 19" setup.

A 235/30 x 19" setup would give an overall diameter of 24.55", which is smaller than a 225/50 x 16" setup at 24.86".

As long as you choose carefully 19" wheels will go on no probs.

Having said all that, I think the 18's looked big enough on my car. Click the pic below my signature for a larger version.

The benefits of smaller sidewalls are exactly the opposite of the quote I have taken above. Flex in sidewalls is something you don't want as that ruins the slip angle. For the same type of tyre, smaller sidewalls = better cornering stability.

The cornering ability of your car will be transformed. Back on the standard 16's with the taller sidewalls I can feel a big difference in steering response and the car feels a LOT less stable in high speed corners.

Calum

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

It appears I was wrong about a couple of things interlec, hopefully you should be fine if you have what Calum suggests.

The benefits of smaller sidewalls are exactly the opposite of the quote I have taken above. Flex in sidewalls is something you don't want as that ruins the slip angle. For the same type of tyre, smaller sidewalls = better cornering stability.

The cornering ability of your car will be transformed. Back on the standard 16's with the taller sidewalls I can feel a big difference in steering response and the car feels a LOT less stable in high speed corners.
    That's really interesting because I thought that was the opposite, the more rubber you had the more it would flex and actually give you more grip.
    Therefore with very small sidewalls you have much less flex and therefore less grip.. kinda makes sense but I can see your point too.

I'm sticking with 17's though as tyres cost well over a oner each as it is.

Name
    calum
    Last Online
    02-01-2021
    Country
    Scotland

You want to try and keep the bit of the tyre that's doing the work INSERT INTO post VALUES (the treaded part) as square to the ground as possible. That way, more rubber 'shares' the load so you get more overall grip. Sidewall flex ruins that, but does give a comfier ride.

What offset are your wheels?

Calum

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

What offset are your wheels?
    No idea.. all I can tell you is they're FONDMETAL 6800 7.5x17 Alloys, 225/45ZR17 PIRELLI P6000 Tyres.
    They're quite harsh too which is another reason why I wouldn't go any bigger.

Last Online
    21-12-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1.8 ST GDi

Have a look at www.modifymycar.com, a New Zealand based site where you can change the car, wheels and suspension height. Good Fun!!!:cool1:
    1.8GDi DOHC 16v
    150ps @ 6500rpm
    Manual 5spd

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

sorry Brind, but i've got to agree with Calum on the benifits of low profile tyres. mine, come thursday wil be 35 profile, which surely must keep the tread more attached to the road than 50, or 55's. as long as you keep the rolling circumference as nrear as poss. then I'm sure the handling must be at least the same, if not better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast