Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

How many?

I guess someone with ASA / Caps could answer this, but it would be interesting to know how many 8g Galant / Legnum VR4 cars were actually built by Mitsu. It's just that as all were originally JDM home market (afaik) they have now migrated far and wide, 200 official imports to UK and then all the greys. You see them in Russia, Australia, Europe, even US to name but a few. Wonder how many are still in Japan? And of course we know quite a few now have been written off or broken for spares. Not really possible, but I'd like to make up an excel sheet or something with all listed and see how many we could trace.......

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Brad can probably tell you, he's the CAPS/ASA master.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    Brad can probably tell you, he's the CAPS/ASA master.
    That's exactly who went through my mind!!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Pierre has been able to pull those figures out, there is a big list somewhere around here or possibly on ozvr4 of every single spec, including jdm non-vr4, usdm models, etc.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

I have produced a csv extract of all 8G VR4 production based on the data available in CAPS, 22614 built in total.

Cheers
    Pierre

Edit: I have added an Excel spreadsheet with column headers to make things easier, excel on opening the csv was munging the OptionCode column values.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pbaron; 01-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Just so people know how to read it, column B is the chassis number, ie EC5A-0000011 for the first one

SNGF or whatever is the type, ie coty, super, type v, etc

D is the option code, 0 indicates no options at all. The next is the colour code, then the interior code. Finally the last is the production date code

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Row 17334 is mine!

So what are the option codes? What code would manual, moonroof, recaro etc be?

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

Too hard to determine at this time, it varies dependant on the ClassificationCode as to what comes with. I did put together another spreadsheet a while back that had the 2 or 3k combinations of Model, ClassificationCode and OptionCode that could be checked to see if they contain any desirable features. I made a start on the manual lookup of each number but lost interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Row 17334 is mine!

So what are the option codes? What code would manual, moonroof, recaro etc be?

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Well thanks guys! didn't realise this had been looked at already. Also surprised that there were infact that many built.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

It is probably easiest for people to list their chassis and the specs it came with from factory to figure out an option code. my purple car is 441 and has MMCS with tv and cd player, Moonroof, recaros and momo wheel. I saw a car with option 440, it is probably similar to mine but maybe missing one of those things?

We would have to come up with a list of options as some people may not think of everything their car may have, ie factory sub, what headunit it came with from factory (asa tells you this) side air bags, warm/cold spec, very dark UV glass, bbs wheels.......

Name
    Shane
    Last Online
    11-02-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 Galant VR4

That is interesting 6037 galants made and mine was the 21st of the line.

"The
    KOKENATOR Sent back in time to destroy all inferior tools!"

Name
    Felipe
    Last Online
    07-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 manual VR4

what the hell! my car is in none of the spreadsheets.. 16526 gets up to 16524 and goes to 16527! owell..

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Pierre, did you painstakingly go through CAPS/ASA copying the details into a spreadsheet? That must have taken some dedication!

Mine unfortunately came with nothing extra and hence is 000 for the option code so I'm no help there.

Were there none from 1-10? Also why do some of them start 5 (I assume they were the changeover time) and 4's must be facelift.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

IN response to my own questions I started digging into the files of the CAPS/ASA discs. In each case the VIN decoding can be done from the VIN.bin file......assuiming you can work out the data structures to separate them out. I'm sure it will be in some standard database format but I'm not sure which to be able to break it down. If we were able to do that then we'd be able to use it as a lookup on the website much like the online parts catalogue in Russia.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by thfelipeth View Post
    what the hell! my car is in none of the spreadsheets.. 16526 gets up to 16524 and goes to 16527! owell..
    You sure that chassis code is right?

It corresponds to an Auto ST-R!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Sad as I am I've started a mini project. I'm trying to gather info on RVRs and having seen Pierre's info I am going to create it as a combined database for any CAPS/ASA based vehicle. I'm basically rewriting the data in CAPS/ASA into an Access database with some nice front end items to allow easy browsing of the info. Fruitless and time consuming it may be but I've missed doing database work so it' something to do in my spare time :/
    Can anyone confirm for me how Mitusbishi do the exterior codes? I know the first 3 digits are the main paint code but what does the subsequent letter signify? Same goes for interiors, is there a definitve lookup table for them? If we can get the missing info on the various option codes, etc. then I can add it all into the database for easy lookup of anyones data.

Pierre, would you have any issues with me importing the data from your spreadsheet into the database for future use and possible distribution, not for profit?
    Last edited by Beastlee; 02-01-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Get permisison to use data.

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Interesting, Is there a key to help break down the codes?

What does LYGF for classification mean?
    What options are 158?
    And what makes up the 14J interior code?
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi all, I've taken the liberty of uploading the spreadsheet to Google Docs where you can access it below. I also split it into 2 sheets based on EC5A and EC5W (Galant and Legnum respectively) to make navigation easier.

Mitsubishi 8th Gen Galant & Legnum VR-4 Registry

I wholeheartedly recommend that people use the Google Doc version from this point on, that way we (as a club) can edit / amend it and everyone will see the changes as they happen. An example of this would be to colour-code all "Exterior Code" cells to the actual colour of the car.

Anyone can view the spreadsheet, no sign-up is required, but if you want to edit it you'll need a Gmail account AND you'll need to PM me your gmail address so I can add you
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    7 x VR-4 & EA6W

1996-1997

Legnum M/T - LNGF
    Legnum A/T - LYGF
    Galant M/T - SNGF
    Galant A/T - SYGF

1998 -2002

Legnum Type V A/T - LYGF3
    Legnum Type S A/T - LYGF
    Legnum Type V M/T - LNGF3 (only one ever made?!)
    Legnum Type S M/T - LNGF (2000->)
    Galant Type V M/T - SNGF3
    Galant Type V A/T - SYGF3
    Galant Type S A/T - SYGF

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Excellent, thanks Alex.

My car needs to read differently now. The only thing thats still original on mine is that its still an estate!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast