Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenneth's ECU Mods (1.02 IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Kenneth's ECU Mods (1.02 IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Kenneths Mods V1.02

Recognition
    First order of the day is recognition to Ceddy. I originally disassembled his Ceddy Mods for Evo 5/6 to find out how to do what I have done. While there is only a small amount of the code which is now the same, without his code, this would not have happened. At least not for some time!

Money
    I have done this to be free for personal use.
    However, I will happily accept donations. You can pay pal to my email address: kenneth.simpson@gmail.com or PM me for other details.

IF YOU ARE A TUNER - This is anyone who uses this ROM on a customers ECU. To use my intellectual property in the pursuit of profit and not pay a small royalty is theft. The end result of this is that I'll just not continue improving and adding features.

While this not a for-profit endeavour, please recognise that it has come at significant cost to myself in both direct costs for the necessary equipment and indirect in the literally hundreds of hours to get here (and only so far!).

My aim is to cover my costs and then hopefully have some to pursue more endeavours.
    The first $1,000 USD will go to a IDA Pro license. The reason for that should be clear.
    After that, I will in turn donate to Ceddy, again the reason for that should be clear.

From there it would be nice to recover some of the hardware costs. Will see how it goes though!

Currently Implemented:
    • Launch Control
    • NLTS (No Lift To Shift)

VERSION FIXES

Version 1.01
    • Added extended map for Ignition retard. Was causing an issue if you really pushed when warming up. Because it was using the smaller table, it would scale off the table and do weird stuff
    • Fixed the MUTIII table. I accidently didn't revert it from the testing setup and as such, some logging was showing odd results
    Version 1.02
    • Corrected Scaling on warmup retard map. Corrected actual data
    • Added code for CEL on knocksum but not done any sort of testing. It is basically there because I had done it when I needed to fix the warmup retard.

The main actual accomplishment is setting up the base for a whole host of other possibilities.

To get this to work you will need to use the attached XML definitions (VR4Base.XML might not be 100% necessary)
    You will need to load and use the attached (in the Zip file) ECU Image (ECU KS ModsV1.0.hex)

WARNING: This Image is NOT compatible with the standard image. It is modified so that it re-directs certain parts of code so that some of the standard addresses will no longer operate.
    The use of this ECU ROM will also guarantee either immediate or eventual damage to you engine and drivetrain components. If you are unable to accept this risk, do not use.

Once you load the image in EcuFlash you may want to configure things. The setup bits allow you to turn specific features on or off.
    bit setup.png

CEL on KnockSUM and One byte Load are not implemented, so please don't tell me they don't work...

There are a number of parameters you can change. The most obvious are
    • Normal Rev Limit
    • Stationary Rev Limit
    • Stationary Limit Switch Speed
    • Anti Lag Start RPM
    • Anti Lag Ignition Retard
    • Anti Lag Ignition Retard Limit
    • Anti Lag AFR
    • NLTS RPM Reduction

There are a number more which require some explanation
    • ... InputAddr
    • ... Bit Mask On
    • ... Bit Mask Off
    • ... Qualifier Address
    • ... Qualifier Value

InputAddr:
    This is the address the ECU looks to to find out if pre-conditions are met. By default it is set to F62C. This is a set of bits which are set based on ECU inputs being switched (digital inputs)

Bit Mask On
    The value found at InputAddr will be tested against this bit mask. That is, every bit you set to "Enabled" will be required to be HIGH (1) for the indicated function to operate

Bit Mask Off
    The value found at InputAddr is inverted and then tested against this bit mask. Every bit you have set to "Enabled" for this function will be required to be LOW (0) for the function to work

Bit masking allows you to use a combination of inputs if you wish. For example, you could have a switch which you use to enable/disable LC (Launch Control) and NLTS (No Lift To Shift). In this case you would put this input into the Bit Mask On for both functions. Both functions would then require this to be switched HIGH for them to be operational.
    You could then attach ANOTHER switch (valet switch) which is hidden somewhere which does the same thing. But isn't so obvious.
    Anyway, the possibilities are quite extensive. Somewhat overkill for these functions, but will be useful later on.

The Bit Mask On tells you which inputs are which (Connector followed by pin number, i.e. C-02 is connector C pin number 2. This is the common one for NLTS) and how to make the bit HIGH in the F62C address. Code will take care of the fact that the resting state of those bits are not always the same. Once you connect (Ground or +12V) the correct voltage level, the bit goes HIGH (1). Normal state is LOW(0)

Qualifier Address
    This is the memory address which the ECU will look at to see if the primary condition is met. By default these are both TPS. You could look at RPM or other things... Just make sure you get the correct memory address.

Qualifier Value
    This is the value at which, once reached, the function will be enabled. I have applied the TPS scaling so that it makes sense. If you changed it to a RPM address, then changing the scaling would be required so that the numbers are useful. It is important to get the scaling correct for this so you compare apples with apples. Not doing so results in VERY odd happenings

This range of setup options is overkill for most, however it does allow a certain flexibility. Most people should just leave them how they are and modify only the Qualifier Value and the Bit Mask On.

LC
    By default this has no Bits set in either Bit Mask On or Bit Mask Off. This means that it will always be active so long as your speed is below Stationary Limit Switch Speed and Bit 0 is set in the Setup Bits

NLTS
    By default it looks for C-02 to be switched to ground. You will need to find a spare pin (off another ECU connector!) and insert it into the blank space in the ECU plug. It then needs to be wired to a switch on the clutch. Facelift Manual vehicles usually come with a switch which stops you being able to start the car with the clutch not engaged. You should use this, or get one of these and install it.

The logic for NLTS/LC is as follows

LC activated if speed below switch point. Once speed is over this, you are eligible for NLTS. NLTS will NOT operate if it will result in 0 RPM or below.

Depending on which of these is currently eligible for operation, the bit is checked in Setup Bits. If the corresponding bit is Enabled, then the ECU continues. If Off is encountered, it goes no further.

Both functions then check the Qualifier Address and make sure Qualifier Value is met.
    InputAddr is loaded and the bit masks applied. If these conditions are all met

If LC conditions are met:
    LC checks Anti-Lag Ignition Control is enabled. If so, it retards the ignition
    LC checks Anti-Lag AFR Control is enabled. If so, it sets the AFR to Anti-Lag AFR

If NLTS conditions are met:
    Current RPM - NLTS RPM Reduction calculation is made. If > 0, result value is new RPM Limit. For example, if you are at 6000 RPM and the reduction is 1000 RPM, RPM limit is 5000. If you were at 5000 RPM, new limit is 4000 RPM
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenneth; 26-06-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Incredible work! Spot on.

One thing that I heard about a long time ago was using a warning light on the dash for displaying knock. Is that something that would be possible? Above a knock sum of 5 the CEL flashes, above 10 the CEL and Brake lights flash together or something similar?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

That is CEL on KnockSUM Nick. It will be implemented on the next release.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Awesome work dude, If i had more luck with electrikery stuff then i would be using this rom.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I've stickied this, hope you don't mind.
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Not at all, sounds like a good idea to me

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Ken, firstly well done, this is great progress, many thanks for helping to better our club

Second, I'd like to start offering flashing services (oh my!) to peeps in the UK, I don't plan on doing this for profit but I would like to charge a small fee for my time (at no point would I charge for your code, nor any other code I use), does this still qualify for royalty payments? If so, I'm happy to pay them, but it seems like your statement is more aimed at professional tuning companies whereas I'm just offering my time to help fellow owners who don't know / have the means to flash the ROM. I'd rather be honest and ask first.

Also, you mention the pins, I'm waiting to hear back from a local company that sells the Tyco/AMP connectors for quotes, I might be able to get a shedload of them for club members
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Fantastic work Ken. Top stuff
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Awesome work Ken, you are very talented. If I still had a VR4 i'd be well into this

Infact I want to buy one just to play lol!
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Good question actually, as it does bring a few ideas out.

First of all, what is a "small fee" for your time? And for how much time? As a comparison, it just took me around 2 weeks of ALL my free time (not exaggerating, Jo might verify this if she bothers to read the thread) to get the base for these mods off the ground. so what is a fair "small fee" for that time?

One option you have is saying that, on top of your small fee, the person needs to give another $5 or $10 if they want you to flash these mods onto their ECU. Something which, if bought commercially will have saved them at least hundreds if not thousands. My aim is to be extending these also, so the functionality list should grow by quite a bit.

For people who just want to flash it onto their own hardware and who have (have to have to flash) paid for the hardware to do so then no worries. But as soon as you start offering a service and requesting some form of compensation for your time and effort, then you head really should feel obliged to compensate the person or company for that matter, who made it possible.

This is 100% the reason why I am committed to buying a IDA Pro license. As soon as someone donated me some money to help with this, it compels me to compensate those who made it possible for me.

I am a software programmer by trade, I believe that software should be free when used by an individual for their own purposes only. After that, it is piracy.

That is my view on it. I don't want to come across as a dick, but all it takes is 100 people "paying" an extra $10 for the hard work I have done and the total cost of the IDA license doesn't have to come out of the money that would otherwise be used for something else. I was going to say mortgage, but that is BS... it would be on my car

Thanks for being honest and bringing it up, I hope I gave a reasonable answer which makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Ken, firstly well done, this is great progress, many thanks for helping to better our club

Second, I'd like to start offering flashing services (oh my!) to peeps in the UK, I don't plan on doing this for profit but I would like to charge a small fee for my time (at no point would I charge for your code, nor any other code I use), does this still qualify for royalty payments? If so, I'm happy to pay them, but it seems like your statement is more aimed at professional tuning companies whereas I'm just offering my time to help fellow owners who don't know / have the means to flash the ROM. I'd rather be honest and ask first.

Also, you mention the pins, I'm waiting to hear back from a local company that sells the Tyco/AMP connectors for quotes, I might be able to get a shedload of them for club members

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

A point for Jason and Kennith, I think Ken you should set the code up so that if obtained from you with or without donation by download, the user needs to agree that if anyone blows up their car playing with the values of your code (or even in standard form). You are not liable.

Jason, I guess you need ot be careful of this too especially if you are offering a "service" doing this.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    That is my view on it. I don't want to come across as a dick, but all it takes is 100 people "paying" an extra $10 for the hard work I have done...
    You're not being a dick at all mate, it's a fair request, if/whenever I do flash your ROM I'll add that on to my fees and send it your way

Truth told, I was only going to ask for enough for a few drinks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by orionn2o View Post
    Jason, I guess you need ot be careful of this too especially if you are offering a "service" doing this.
    I wholeheartedly agree, I'd just be offering my time to operate a laptop and the use of my reflashing cable, I'd probably ask the person to sign a waiver too.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    That is CEL on KnockSUM Nick. It will be implemented on the next release.
    Excellent!

And with the thoughts on donations, I wondered if a comparison to evoscan is fair? I happily paid $25 for that - it's not much but hopefully enough for Hamish to keep developing. I am pretty sure I will end up using some of this code, and will happily donate for the privilege.

Name
    Misha
    Last Online
    08-08-2012
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

This ROM was testing on EM2004 7202 ECU and is working more the fine, these days it will be tested on EM2428 7203 ECU and I will post a result, but I am 90% sure that it will work.

For those who do not understand how to install NLTS:

1. you have to install a switch on a clutch, same method that evo 8 is running, you can check installation manuals on google.
    2. you have to wire up one wire from a switch to a 52 pin on ECU and second wire to the ground.
    3. flash ECU with Kenneths rom and follow instruction provided by him.

result: NLTS works.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

remember to mark payment as "GIFT"

so Ken does not have to pay to receive the money.

I have sent $25USD to ken now

I have not downloaded the rom yet but i am sure i will use this stuff at some point.
    Last edited by Davezj; 23-06-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Misha
    Last Online
    08-08-2012
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Today we started an engine with GTR32 Turbos, Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump, 560 Evo 8 Injectors, SARD FPR

Car is running with Kenneth's ROM now and decided to post up result here regarding untested items in XML.

Injector Scaling and Latency is working I think, we did not checked Wideband AFR, (car does not have Downpipe yet) but probably will be matching the map.

will post result more once we will test AFR

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks to all who have donated, it is much appreciated.

I have updated the original post, added some formatting and added to the warning saying that these mods WILL cause damage. Hopefully this will at least make people stop and think/ask whether they are willing to sacrifice reliability for the fun factor.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

great work kenneth i shall donate once i have paid a friend back. (I lost your number in the process of getting a new phone so if you txt me with your name and bank acc i will send some $$ for your fantastic efforts)

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Launch control works 100%
    however if i acclerate from 2k rpm in a high gear something kicks in and limits the rpm from going any higher, is this to do with NTLS or launch control
    havnt disabled ntls yet will try that now and see how it goes
    Last edited by Adam.Findlay; 24-06-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    Launch control works 100%
    however if i acclerate from 2k rpm in a high gear something kicks in and limits the rpm from going any higher, is this to do with NTLS or launch control
    havnt disabled ntls yet will try that now and see how it goes
    All those with spare drive train parts, please be ready to supply them to Adam asap.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast