Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

JAE (Japanese Auto Extravaganza) 2017

Right guys, I know the show season has only just come to an end but the majority of the dates of next years events have now been confirmed and announced. This year some of you said that not enough notice was given to attend certain events due to work/family commitments. To that end lets give CVR4 a decent turnout in 2017! You have no excuse not to get these dates booked off with work or the missus, my job is not well known for its flexibility but even I have managed to book off the dates for this event!!

The event in question is none other than Japanese Auto Extravaganza taking place at its new home at Peterborough Arena.

JAE.jpg

Following on from @Qotato (Scott's) thread, this event will take place between 31st Aug - 3rd Sept 2017 and there are many reasons to attend:

JAE is the perfect place for like minded owners and traders to meet up and enjoy what is the popular Japanese car culture, it has been previously quoted as "the perfect way to do business"

JAE began as a meeting of Datsun Z club members as far back as 1991 and with the growing interest in Japanese cars as both classics and modern super cars since that time, it has grown to the largest gathering of Japanese vehicles of all types in Europe and continues to grow steadily without forgetting its roots.

With everything from 60′s (and earlier) classic / retro machines to the latest electronically controlled supercars, the show has something for everyone throughout the weekend!

If you've never been to JAE it's simple: Turn up, park, camp (or book a local hotel), light the barbecue, sit back and relax.

JAE is all about relaxing, having fun, mixing with clubs and club members, competing or watching.
    The activities range from Show n Shine to Tug-o-War, Bungee Run, Its-a-Knockout and Tug of War.

Then we have a pub quiz, kamikaze wings and Japanese food eating! All rounded off with a fantastic firework display on Saturday night.

Add to that the free off-road 4x4 course (for those with full ticket and in Jap cars) and you have a great family fun weekend.

This event is held in the glorious settings of Newark Showground with its open green fields, fun fair and all amenities it really is something special for everyone to enjoy.

See below a video of JAE 2016 (although not official) for a visualisation on the above:

I shall be attending this but not quite sure if my liver can handle 4 days on the pi$$, especially after Japfest and Japshow, so may only be Friday-Sunday.

So who is interested? Would be good to see a decent turnout from CVR4 as in recent years the numbers have been very small. People have no idea what our cars are and what they are capable of so lets give everyone something to talk about!!

Tickets are not yet available but I expect they will be very soon after Christmas, so get that leave/holiday booked and make an appearance, if there are enough of us that register interest early on then we can justify a club area and this will give the VR-4's the exposure that they deserve, there are some stunning motors on this forum so dont keep them to yourselves!

As said I will be attending for definite although I may be in the 350Z (although if the VR4 is back on the road then Ill bring this) but would much prefer to be with you guys than the datsun lot.
    Last edited by Erni902; 27-01-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice one Rikki!

No idea what I will attend next year yet, but it would certainly be good to get to something. This has been an awesome show for CVR4 in the past.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    29-10-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnumvr4 l9num

awsome write up dude. unless the mrs ends up pregnant / we have a small one i will 100% be attending and if theres not enough to get a full club vr4 site set up there will be more then enough space made for anyone who wants to join us. but even without me car friends are so friendly anyone is welcome. booked my holiday the day the dates where released lol.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

This is the one show that I try to make each year so I'll almost definately be there, If there's a club stand I'll happily be on it.

Stuart

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Keen to get a club area for this one this year. Ticket price is £45 for the entire show dates (Thursday to Sunday) Single day tickets for the Saturday alone are £20 and you dont get to park on the club stand.

Beauty of the £45 ticket is that you can come and go as you please for the duration so if you are only doing Saturday and Sunday then you can still park and camp in the club area. I will more than likely attend the whole thing from Thursday to Sunday as I have the dates booked off at work already but with the £45 ticket I have the flexibility to change my mind and arrive on the Friday if I so wish.

Would be good to get a club area sorted for this one especially. Means we can put faces to names, meet up with old friends and make some new ones. Have a wander around during the day and sort out a Club VR4 BBQ for the evenings. If people are interested then I can sort out some BBq food from a local Hereford butcher and if we all pitch in a few quid we can eat like kings for the weekend.

Comment here if you want to be on the club stand and Ill get us squared away.

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

I might have missed where you said but JAE is returning to Peterborough Showground this year, Now Newark.

Stuart

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Where have you heard this mate? The JAE website states it is taking place at Newark.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Nope it's definitely at Peterborough again! http://www.japcarclub.org/index.php/...nue-new-layout

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Ah, and it would be useful if you could make it to the Club Rep meetup! http://www.japcarclub.org/index.php/...-all-club-reps

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Hmm there seems to be some continuity issues on their website in that case: http://www.japcarclub.org/index.php/what-is-jae

I know of a few clubs that still believe it is at Newark. I must admit I havent actually looked at this one in any more depth since I raised the thread purely because its one of the later shows.

I have emailed them but not heard back yet. I will keep chasing them.

I just have to check my work diary for that weekend but if I am not working then I will be able to head down there as its not far from me anyway seen as it has moved to Peterborough.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Just a quick update, I have amended the post to show the actual location of the event. I have alerted them to the fact that 1 page on their site states Newark and the other states Peterborough but they are yet to change it.

I have also booked a space at the Club Reps Meet in March so if anyone has any points for me to raise at this meeting then let me know. I will back brief you guys on the key point when I get back if there is anything relevant.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Guys, due to issues with the 350Z, I have had to move a few things around with work, so I will now be working different weekends to originally planned. This means I am unable to make the Club Reps Meeting on Saturday 18th March. If there is anyone that would be in the Peterborough area on Saturday 18th March and would be able to attend this on my behalf that would be hugely appreciated. The meeting runs between 10am and 12pm at the Peterborough Arena and there is not realy much you will have to do, just turn up and take any notes etc with reference to stands, locations, amenities and present any requirements you believe we may have as a club. (I don't envisage much in the way of our requirements as we are only small but if anything springs to mind by all means mention it).

I don't expect anyone to go above and beyond and massively out of their way especially seen as we are relatively small but if anyone would be able to attend that would be great.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

A couple of guys from Lude Generation went to the meeting, and put a post up on the forum. With permission, I've stolen it to paste here Completely not edited, so we know which pitch LudeGeneration are one - but not where ClubVR4 will be!

Quote Originally Posted by wurlycorner
    Today @Vtecmec and I pretended to be @Gayno and attended the club reps meeting for JAE, held at the new venue itself.

Because I'm a geek* I took some notes and pics, to share with you all.
    Loads of jobby below...

First some general info about the location...
    Piece of body lemonade to get to, just off the A1. At the entrance, literally on the way in, is a Harvester and a Holiday Inn Express.
    Big supermarkets are a bit more of a drive away than we have been used to at Newark or Kettering. There's a co-op or Londis about 5-10 mins away, Tesco Express about 10-15 mins away.

Now a bit more about the venue.
    JAE have signed a 5 year deal with them, covering lots of the outside grounds and the indoor hall space, which is... Massive in comparison to anything they have had before.
    Main Hall;

This area will hold the Show and Shine (note there is good lighting!) and also a display of some Japanese based Competition cars (gt1, btcc, vtec challenge and drift etc.) If anyone knows or has access to anyone with a proper jap based competition car, let them know - they are looking for as many as possible.
    Show and Shine was over-subscribed last year but they have much more space this time, so that won't be a problem.
    Cars will need to be in there from Friday night until Sunday afternoon/evening. Prize giving will be on Sunday.

Second Hall;

This area will hold indoor trade.

Event Hall;

This area will be used for;
    Friday night - Karaoke
    Saturday night - Band (tbc), Disco and trophy presentation

All the halls are very good quality venues. A few pics of some of the outside areas;
    This area behind the main hall will be used for drift taxis

The area beyond it to the left (behind the fence in pic below) will probably be used for some of the IKO events.

This area in front and to the left of the main halls will be used for trade and the funfair

(view of same area looking back the other way)

These are pics of the wider outside club stand space, taken with the action arena on the right, looking towards Kanetsu straight on and Daikoku towards the far left.

This is taken from top corner of the action arena, back to Makuhari, looking over Shuto towards Kanetsu.

The white upstands you can see on the plots are either water or power points - so yep, there is no shortage of those to go round!

Now some more general info about entry and camping facilities;
    Gates open Thursday mid-day. All cars and camping must be gone by Sunday night (no staying overnight till Monday morning)
    There will be a quiet/family camping area, as before.
    This year for the first time, there will also be glamping - those with high maintenance girlfriends (I'm looking at you @RattyMcClelland :lol: take note. Limited quantity available, will be going on sale shortly, £250 per 2 man, £450 per 4 man, covering Thursday to Sunday (actually a good price compared to the hotel). Comfy bed, power etc. More details on their website shortly.
    There are lots more toilets than at Newark or Wickstead and they are also much bigger. We were told that most of them had showers but can't confirm that - the one we tried (over between the fun fair and family/quiet camping area) didn't. The hot water was certainly 'kin hot though! :lol:

We have booked our spot!!!;

M37. No stands either side but we face all the big stands and have banking behind us and the grandstand, to provide some shelter from the wind 8-) It's potentially big enough to be a 25car plot (they don't know for sure on this one yet).

Ticket prices on the gate are;
    Saturday £20
    Sunday £15
    All weekend (four days) is £65
    Advance is cheaper (£45 for the full four days). Advance tickets close one week before the event.
    They are currently also doing buy ten tickets get one free. This offer runs until 4th May only

They are also introducing a family ticket which gets in 2 adults and up to 3 children under 16.
    If you come on a day entry ticket only, you cannot bring the car in and put it on a stand. However, this year there will be a special jap only parking area inside the entrance.
    Only one non jap support vehicle will be allowed in, onto the stand. They will issue each club rep with a special code, that can be used to collect a support car pack on arrival. This will include a permit to get the car into the show. It must come in on Friday and stay on the stand until Sunday. No driving around in it.
    It is still OK to bring trailers in.

General event shenanigans info;
    There will be an outdoor 4x4 area. This will be custom built for the event, from an area that is normally used for jcb training (so the 4x4 guys are able to input into how they want it laid out, which is great). This will run all weekend.

Drift taxis will run Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Potentially they will run late into the evening on Friday and Saturday, under floodlights.

RC cars will be back and people are encouraged to bring theirs along. The area planned for RC cars has a viewing platform, which should make it well suited.

IKO will be on again, with events over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    Tug of war, car pull and food eating challenges will be staying, but the others will change. It's likely that there will be go karting on Friday night, but this is tbc
    They are hoping to have a Soapbox derby. They anticipate this would be with soapboxes built in advance, rather than people knicking shopping trolleys on the day...

Fireworks on Saturday night again. Not sure where they will be yet but definitely not in the arena, so don't worry - club stands are safe from fall out! They were very keen to stress there is a minutes silence after fireworks finish, to pay respect to car club members that are no longer with us. Hazard lights (and Civics bouncing off the limiters) need to wait for a minute before being setting off.

They said they had put a lot of effort into trade last year, lots of flyering and promoting, had lots of trade sign up (and pay up!) but then not actually turn up on the day, which they were very disappointed in. If anyone can persuade a trader that's new to jae to sign up (and turn up!) they will pay you commission.

Finally, if anyone hears of any new clubs, jae would love to hear so that they can get in touch and get them to come along. Email Carclubs@japcarclub.org

*actually not a geek, just trying to do my bit for the club and get info out there so people know what to expect and that it's not jobby facilities etc.