Thread: Galant hunting!

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

Galant hunting!

OK, I thought it was about time to move this out of the 'hello' thread an into one in the right section of the forum! Having made the decision to get a Galant for our second car, this weekend saw my first 'up close and personal' experience with two!

The first was a saloon (pinched from'hello' post):

Y plate (2001?)
    Saloon
    2.5 V6 (not sport)
    Auto (tiptronic - are they all?)
    76K on the clock
    Dark Plum metallic (I'm sure it's got a proper name )
    Full main dealer service history with proper intervals.
    Cream/light tan leather interior (spotless)
    Nardi (?) wheel
    All the normal toys
    Tidy all round

This was the first time I had ever spent looking closely at a Galant. First impressions were excellent, a very tidy car that had obviously been well looked after. The salesman was quite happy for me to take the car out on my own and after a few cautious minutes getting used to an auto (what do you do with your left foot!!!) I got into the swing of things. A few gentle miles down a country road gave me enough confidence to give it a bit of stick. Well, what can I say, these cars are no slouches...I can only imagine what a VR4 is like!!!

But... the missus didn't seem overly keen, and although very sweetly said that it was nothing to do with her anyway ( ) I finally got the following out of her:

1. It looks too long (no jokes please ).
    2. The interior was a funny colour

That was on Friday afternoon. A quick search on the old tinternet showed an estate not too far away from where we were staying, the bonus being they also had a Saab 9-3 which the missus wanted us to look at. So bright and early this morning we set off again. The Saab although in good shape outside, had been punished a bit inside, and only served to confirm that a Galant is the right choice. So on to the estate. Now I had fully expected the missus to throw her arms up in horror (being an estate and all - especially after she had complained the saloon looked "too long"). But to my suprise, she loved it!

The car was a 2000 V6 sport (estate) in black. Cloth interior, HUGE sunroof, aircon and all the rest of the normal goodies. 105K miles and up at 5495. A quick drive didn't dissappoint, and the interior was spotless, but the outside was a little bit shabby and our man was adamant (no, he wasn't actually adam ant) that he wouldn't budge on price. There was something about the place that warned me off...so I walked away.

So after my two days and two Galants I've come away with nothing...normally I'd be a bit fed up, but I'm happy that I now know exactly what I want...this should make finding something a little bit easier (at least now I know what I'm looking for!)

The search is back on!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

For a well above average mileage car, that second one does seem overpriced...

A quick search on AT comes up with a 2000W 2.5 V6-24 estate auto with 69000 miles on it for £4990. This one has electric seats and leather too.

I bought my galant (GLS) with 69169 miles on it. Next week it will tick over 99169, marking 30000 miles together.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Quote Originally Posted by nodding_dino
    The car was a 2000 V6 sport (estate) in black. Cloth interior, HUGE sunroof, aircon and all the rest of the normal goodies. 105K miles and up at 5495.
    is a wee bit high indeed - mine was over £1700 cheaper, from a mitsu dealer and a year younger......

dont worry Dino - keep lookin, the right one is just around the corner
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

whats everyones opinion on the manual/auto debate? I have driven manuals fro years now (although have had autos in the past)...but was quite taken by the tip box. I've seen a nice looking manual, but am not sure whether to hold out for an auto?

Any opinions?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

whats everyones opinion on the manual/auto debate? I have driven manuals fro years now (although have had autos in the past)...but was quite taken by the tip box. I've seen a nice looking manual, but am not sure whether to hold out for an auto?

Any opinions?
    your opening a can of worms by asking that Q i think thos who have autos (me included) say they are the best and visa versa for man.

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

I guessed that would be the case...maybe I'll see if i can find a thread that discussed this in detail! (unless you can point me in the right direction of a one?)

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

only do a search

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

search done...can of worms read about

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

With the V6-24, the can of worms doesn't really exist as it does with the VR-4. It's quite clear cut;

Manual = Quick, but can be a PITA in traffic.

Auto = Slower than manual by some way, but much smoother.

The gearbox in my V6 Sport was a nice manual - very positive action, but the clutch could be 'snatchy' at times, and having a more efficient power delivery meant it was a little too easy to break traction.

The manual is a nice 'box, but you won't feel short changed with the auto either.

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

thanks Keiran...all this advice really is appreciated! It's like buying a car with a load of experts in my back pocket!

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

I wanted a manual GLS. Then I test drove my auto and that was it. SOLD.

BTW K - that did work. I can't believe I've been driving the thing for 2.5 years and 30000 miles without knowing that!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

to follow on from what Kieran was saying - my first auto was a V6 sport, prior to this i was sceptical of autos - 15mins in the v6 sport auto and i was sold!!!
    The Invecs II is a great system.

now having a manual V6 - i have direct comparison and have to say its a great 'box too!!!

i would say the manual v6 feels a fair bit quicker and certainly feels a lot livelier

the choice is yours!!!!

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

OK...Galant hunting has slowed down, nothing fitting the bill yet...and it has started me thinking...(always dangerous!)

There seem to be plenty of '97 VR4 legnums around which are well within my budget. Are the running costs significantly higher than the straight Galant 2.5 V6?

I see you all talk about increased fuel consumption, but what about servcing etc, are the intervals the same?

I'm going to make some enquiries into insurance costs (purely out of curiosity at the moment )

Any advice appreciated!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The service intervals are half. 4500 miles rather than 9000. The fuel consumption is just under 20mpg rather than just under 30mpg. The insurance doesn't seem to be that much higher for me.

I you are paying other people for servicing etc, then the running costs are slightly less than double. If you do your own maintenance then you can save a lot of the extra. (But obviously not petrol!!)

If you can afford it, then do it. The traction and handling are worth every penny!

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

sounds a bit rich for me looks like I'll have to stay on the 'sensible' side of the Mitsubishi fence!

Thanks for the info!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

My own experience of Legnum-ness is as follows.

They're cheap to buy and a 1997 Import will be generally in better shape than an equivalent UK car.

Legnums can be DIY-serviced. Which is one of the main reasons I can afford to run one.

MPG..... I get between 20-24 mpg. This compares with 26-30mpg for my V6 Sport manual. In real terms, this means about 230 miles to a tank (I normally fill with 50 litres), rather than about 290. Assuming a price of 98.9 for Optimax, that's 21 pence per mile versus 17.

Insurance made all of 30 quid difference to me!

Last Online
    14-01-2007
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    V6 Sport Wagon

Thanks Keiran, the most mechanical I ever got was drying the inside of the distributer cap of my '74 beetle every time it rained....

whats involved with the servicing...would a muppet like me be able to have a go?

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

The only reason a VR-4 needs such frequent attention is because it pounds it's engine oil, and because the AYC clutch fluid is meant to be changed every 4500

Oil and filter is very easy, with no nasty surprises to catch you out.

In fact, take a look over here.... :

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...t=tribulations

This is about as tough as the fluid services get, and only the oil and AYC clutch fluid need doing so often. My take is to do all the fluids myself, and take it to the local Honda (yes, Honda, I don't trust Mitsubishi Notts) every 6/12 months for a check over of the general condition of the car.... Just in case i've missed something and for those things that are beyond my ability. My local honda dealer offers menu-priced servicing for non Hondas and will work with imports, so to me £79 for a oil change and inspection of the usuall stuff every now and again is acceptable.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

There seem to be plenty of '97 VR4 legnums around which are well within my budget. Are the running costs significantly higher than the straight Galant 2.5 V6?
    Any advice appreciated!
    be even more investagative .. about looking over a VR4 as some/most are hard to find with history. Don't be shy about asking question's of any car you want to see as chances are someone on this forum will know it?
    i'd think though if you saw one that took your fancy you might get a little help looking it over

i'd ave had a VR4 now .. if i'd had more time to travel to find the right one
    but "I WILL BE BACK!"....with a VR4

try get along to a meet and get a member to take you out in their VR4......you'll love it, ive had a shot of Derek's car (SGHOM) and i still grin when i think about it
    E39 BMW SPORT

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

having had both;
    VR4 - 190 miles to a tank / 22mpg, V6 auto 340m+per tank/ 32mpg, V6 manual 370+ per tank / 35mpg

The VR4 was thrashed occasionally and driven like an old lady often to conserve petrol, both V6s are driven hard

I prefer the V6 for now as its quick, comfy, economical and doesnt matter if it breaks, where as with the VR4, i was always (un-necesarily) wary of something expensive breaking - AYC, gearbox, turbos etc as well as the expesive dealer servicing (to keep it in warranty)

I would however, in the future, definately go for an early leggie and service it myself.

bear in mind if you go for an early leggie to have a £2K slush fund to allow for AYC, gearbox, turbos posibly needing work / replacement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast