Thread: Road Angel Navigator

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Road Angel Navigator

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but we just had the first two of these delivered at work so I thought I would mention it to anyone who has not seen them.

Here's the link: ROAD ANGEL NAVIGATOR

£499 RRP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

That would appear to be a great bit of kit. I'd like one but couldn't justify the replacing of the road angel and satnav that I already have. But if you want one or the other this would seem great value to get both

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by The Vee
    That would appear to be a great bit of kit. I'd like one but couldn't justify the replacing of the road angel and satnav that I already have. But if you want one or the other this would seem great value to get both

Andy - you've got Navman

You can download static camera positions on it for free off the web - this will give you the same abilities as the new Road Angel.

You can get a Navman 510 unit for about £250 these days and I have to say it is very good and you don't need to ever look at the user manual - unless you're thicker than me

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    08-06-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '99 Ralliart VR

Smile

My friend was/is involved in preparing and presenting Road Angel (the company) as a potential aquisition for some gigantic MEGACORP.

The guy behind it is a former racing driver and has made millions - and so he should it was a great product.

However, the company was unlikely to grow as their relatively small ongoing income was from people with the original road angel subscribing to the camera database. The GPS camera detectors have pretty much been replaced by the GPS satnav systems which (as has been said) are using free web downloads to identify camera locations. All of which means scope for growing the Road Angel company further is limited, making them less appealing to the MEGACORPs.

This navigator is the solution; too little, too late is my feeling, and I'd worry about ongoing support unless the company is bought soon. Having said all that my friend really rates his.

At some point in the future I'll be looking at either TomTom Go 700 or SmartNav systems to take over from my Philips Carin (for satnav) and spider senses (for cameras)!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by HJM
    Andy - you've got Navman

You can download static camera positions on it for free off the web - this will give you the same abilities as the new Road Angel.

- unless you're thicker than me
    Doh !! Iknew that

And I think I probably am

But my sentiments remain the same - just substitute Navman for Satnav !! Not actually tried downlosding the scamera locations.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Brunty
    At some point in the future I'll be looking at either TomTom Go 700 or SmartNav systems to take over from my Philips Carin (for satnav) and spider senses (for cameras)!
    I can vouch for the TomTom Go units.I hav tried a few others and haven't been thaat impressed. I have at the moment a TomTom Go and it's an excellent piece of kit with an abundance of features. I have just purchase a CD with 58000 points of interest on it, which has a full upto date post code system on it.. £10 I just needed to get a larger SD Card as the memory on the existing 128meg card was full.. As i had a few spare SD Cards from my Digi Camera, i just copied all onto there and added new features.. I am also in the process of purchasing the TomTom 700 as it's larger memory capacity (2.5gig hard drive) and more features are very appealing.. TomTom for me all the way..

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

I have a navman i520, and my boss has a Tomtom 700 (reflects the relative salaries!), so I've had a play side by side.

The Navman is nice and small - PDA size, so it's easier to cart about, but it doesn't come close the tomtom in terms of features - the handsfree option, traffic updates etc, and the tomtom is MUCH faster at everything moving through menus, finding a postcode when setting up the route, calculating the route etc.

If I had the cash, I'd have the tomtom!
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

A word of warning !!

If anyone is thinking of purchasing a TomTom off E-Bay, may i suggest that you refer back to CVR4 and get as many Members to check overthe Auction or Buy it Now. Reason being is that at the moment there are 100's of fake sales for these item's as they are a very very sought after piece of kit. The main scams are for the TomTom500 and 700..
    There are legit ones on there but be careful. Most of the scams also show the Seller being abroad, mostly Germany and the items being in Beijing,China.. Also watch the feedback as i's normally all in German and also the seler has a low feedback score.. Even when they show a high feedback score, if you look further into it you will find that only a handful will be recent and nearly all for buying not selling.. The auctions are mostly in Euro's and they don't accept paypal ! This suggest that it's a false account as they have not had it long enough to register for paypal or register a credit card.

Beware

Name
    Mal
    Last Online
    28-07-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4 - end of oc

Just bought a road angel navigator for £250 + £5 Postage off Ebay

Can't wait to try it out!

Mal