Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

TBH there seems to be a lot of sound comments from both camps. It is all made a little harder, for my mind, on the stand alone front, trying to get some figures to start with. I can't even get the valve timing out of Mitsi for the VR4. I doubt they would give much more on the ECU! Think the E manage etc would probably be the easier option and as previously said should cope with the modding being done by most. Now, if you're going to start changing cams, compressions and the like, then........................

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by The Vee
    TBH there seems to be a lot of sound comments from both camps. It is all made a little harder, for my mind, on the stand alone front, trying to get some figures to start with. I can't even get the valve timing out of Mitsi for the VR4. I doubt they would give much more on the ECU! Think the E manage etc would probably be the easier option and as previously said should cope with the modding being done by most. Now, if you're going to start changing cams, compressions and the like, then........................

well the first thing tuners do is setup a base map. obviously the car would run like crap at WOT with just a base map but if it is at all possible to get a export/matrix of the rpm/load sites out of the ecu when i get mine done, i will post it up... will be a bit different for each car, and possibly more different for me as i will have the bigger turbos on there - but its still valuable i guess.

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by AllBeItMine
    well the first thing tuners do is setup a base map. obviously the car would run like crap at WOT with just a base map but if it is at all possible to get a export/matrix of the rpm/load sites out of the ecu when i get mine done, i will post it up... will be a bit different for each car, and possibly more different for me as i will have the bigger turbos on there - but its still valuable i guess.

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

On 3S they see same things - most standalone people make same power numbers as piggyback guys and there are people who reverted back to stock ECU+piggyback from standalone due to number of reasons.
    So all I am saying is it is not an easy nor a cheap way to go about.

UC is the one who tried that path... 7 months, 190kw at the wheels... was it worth it?
    If he only required split intake and ability to adjust fuel - he could have bought MAP ECU with 5 wires and self learning function... lean things out a bit and be done with it... for 399$ and a couple weeks (at most... but I think you can say hours instead) of tweaking.

Of course stand alone ECU is expandable. That means if you eventually upgrade your turbos/injectors etc. you can buy more dyno time and re-tune it.
    ... However same thing applies to piggybacks.

Of course its up to you to decide what you want to do with your money!
    ...and it will be an interesting reading too!

PS: nothing personal… I just used to research this topic for long hours/days/weeks/months before I finally decided what path to take… so kind of feels important to share my thoughts on this one.
    Last edited by valmes; 23-11-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

ahem....
    "Thanks for your order Kenneth.

The funds are showing in our account so we will same day courier the unit tomorrow.

Please find attached an invoice for your records and we thank you for your prompt payment.

Enjoy the unit!

Regards
    Peter"

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    ahem....
    "Thanks for your order Kenneth.

The funds are showing in our account so we will same day courier the unit tomorrow.

Please find attached an invoice for your records and we thank you for your prompt payment.

Enjoy the unit!

Regards
    Peter"

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Here is the MAP ECU manual for anyone interested in having a quick look
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Unit recieved and installed in "learn" mode. pics and details to follow.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

some poor quality pics from my phone...

First is the box it all came in... not as big as I expected, but size doesn't matter rigt?

Second is all the bits that come in the box. In the centre of the wiring harness loop you can see the air temp sensor. That wiring harness is probably close on 2M long. I only used maybe 300mm of that for the MAP-ECU.

Third picture is of the diagram (got from one of the threads here) that I used to cut into the VR-4 wiring loom.

There are some better pics, just waiting for my mate to get them off his camera for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

1) Cutting the loom. Can see some of the wires cut, the other ends have a square 4 pin plug attached!

2) 2 Sub harnesses. Made with the spare wire from the MAP-ECU harness. These will plug into the VR-4 loom and allow me to plug the MAP-ECU into the loom. (and un-plug if nessecary)

I sort of did more work than nessecary here, could have done it all in one 9-way plug, but I thought that could be a bit bulky.

The 4-way is +12, Ground, TPS and RPM. I think rpm is actually igniter signal from all ignitions, you have to divide it by 6 to get real RPM.

The 3-way is Air flow signal, Barometer and air temp. This harness is a good one.

You cant see the MAP-ECU harness, but it has 1x4-way and 2x2 way plugs. the 4-way is as above, the 2 ways are air-flow and baro. in learn mode, I have the IN signals attached. To move to normal operation, all I need to do is un-plug the 2 way and attach it to the second 2 way on the MAP-ECU harness.

3) The 2 sub harnesses wired into the loom.

4) All hooked up, set up in learn mode and about to go for a test run.

5) me looking a bit worse for wear, but happy the car is running and about to go for a spin.

Got back from the test run, hooked it back up (serial cable visible in pic 4) and found we had some data! woohoo

Now gotta hook up the wideband and airtemp sensor. cant do this weekend because i have to work... should have been at work on sat too. but... work or MAP-ECU install...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

So Kenneth, are you going to run an airfilter to each turbo like Uc has on his car, or are you just going to remove the MAF at this stage?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    So Kenneth, are you going to run an airfilter to each turbo like Uc has on his car, or are you just going to remove the MAF at this stage?
    When the MAP-ECU is configured ill just disconnect the MAF and run it like that for a while.

Eventually I want to run seperate pipes, but I doubt ill have 2 seperate filters... probably have an airbox of some sort and use my standard ralliart foam filter. I have a nicely positioned air inlet on the bumper which I hope will provide some nice cool ram-air

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Mine has now arrived

Just need to get it wired in for learn mode now and forget about it for a few weeks!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    17-02-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan 200SX S1

Any results yet laddies?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Quail
    Any results yet laddies?
    You think I am going out in the snow or the dark to fit it?

I will have a look at the weekend, but I need to buy a couple of metres of vacuum hose.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

mine in auto-learn mode. will stay that way for a little while.

Dave: I'll save and post some maps up soon. not much of the map is actuallly getting data in it though... I don't know squat about filling maps in, so might ask you a few questions if thats ok with you!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    mine in auto-learn mode. will stay that way for a little while.

Dave: I'll save and post some maps up soon. not much of the map is actuallly getting data in it though... I don't know squat about filling maps in, so might ask you a few questions if thats ok with you!
    Not a problem!

You need to drive a bit differently to normal to get some of the hard to reach areas - even play with your boost settings.

My plan was to drive at 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100% throttle from 2000rpm to the redline in 3rd gear. This on top of any normal driving. I was also going to do it with the boost controller off (0.5 bar) with it in low boost (0.7 bar) and in high boost (0.9 bar). I was then going to overboost briefly to get the top of the map sorted.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaveakers
    Not a problem!

You need to drive a bit differently to normal to get some of the hard to reach areas - even play with your boost settings.

My plan was to drive at 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100% throttle from 2000rpm to the redline in 3rd gear. This on top of any normal driving. I was also going to do it with the boost controller off (0.5 bar) with it in low boost (0.7 bar) and in high boost (0.9 bar). I was then going to overboost briefly to get the top of the map sorted.
    hmmm... don't have a boost controller...
    will have a looksee. I'll get my mate to use follow-me mode and check out what is happening on the map.

Last Online
    24-01-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Evo 5RS 2.3ltr

any joy with this guys?
    Gas Flowed Head & Sponsorship by www.whitfieldraceengines.co.uk

Parts & Sponsorship by Indigo-GT www.Indigo-GT.co.uk

Sponsored by T2 Design Solutions www.t2ds.co.uk

550BHP 2.3 Evo 5RS - AMS GT3076R

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by michaeli
    any joy with this guys?
    Joy? not as such.

It's still in learn mode. I have an issue with voltage references in my wideband O2 controller which means I cant properly log the AFR to start tuning.

will have to check the O2 controller and play with the ground points and stuff. Then time to start logging

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast