Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Shame it doesn't disclose the standard spring rates.

Kieran,

The standard rates are difficult to measure due to them being non linear. The standard rates as far as I can workout are front 3-4kg and rear 1.5-2.5kg.

I am going to be ordering mine with 5kg front and 3kg rear. This should be slightly firmer but not too harsh. I will try and calculate the wheel frequency in order to determine the best setup but I reckon your safe with that.
    "You have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a s**t!"

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Am up for stiffening up the ride quality just a little and stability round corners but don't want to car leaving the ground or skipping over bumps...

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Pezza I have checked the part numbers for non VR4 saloon and estate and they are the same too.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Rally205
    Kieran,

The standard rates are difficult to measure due to them being non linear. The standard rates as far as I can workout are front 3-4kg and rear 1.5-2.5kg.

I am going to be ordering mine with 5kg front and 3kg rear. This should be slightly firmer but not too harsh. I will try and calculate the wheel frequency in order to determine the best setup but I reckon your safe with that.
    Okay, thanks Marcus. Good to have an idea. Just out of interest, how did you measure the spring rate?

Yeah, forgot the stock items were wound dual-rate... Doesn't seem very progressive though, and I still feel it's a bit crashy over bumps. Mind you, my shocks are shot, so I can't say with any degree of conviction.

Still liking the look of some EDFC-equipped Tein Super Wagons, but need to save some serious pennies for that!

Please report on how comfortable you find the car. Mind you, since Ariadne's been reduced to a weekend car, this is not quite as important.

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Pezza I have checked the part numbers for non VR4 saloon and estate and they are the same too.
    Cool... so I guess aftermarket products which have specified different models/part numbers for saloons and estate must be different for rates or for weight etc..??

Thanks, thats good to know..

When are you hoping to get hold of these? Wil be interesting to compare quality and ride to the B12 you have on the saloon!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

What do you want from the suspension. Do you want it just for adjustable ride height and keep the ride quality or do you want a harder setup for track use and less comfort?
    for me Marcus, I'd want the slightly firmer springs. what would you reccomend ??
    comfort comes second to me, trackdays 1st..... but I dont want, as Del said, the car hopping all over the place on uneven roads !!

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

I would go for 7kg front and 5kg rear for pure track use and very light road use.

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

I have checked again. The part numbers are as follows:

EC5A Rear

Shock MR272661
    Spring MR272651
    Top Mount MR103156

EC5W Rear

Shock MR272661
    Spring MR272651
    Top Mount MR103156

If you look on Teins website the part numbers of kits are the same for Legnum and Galant. How more conclusive can it be?
    Look... here's funny thing (from CAPS...):

Shock absorber, FR SUSP EC5A:
    MR272661
    MR455677

Shock absorber, FR SUSP EC5W:
    MR235594
    MR235595
    MR272661
    MR455677

I knew front was the same, but I never thought shocks could be the same for front and rear...

Now I don't have access to CAPS until Monday so I won't be able to look up all the part numbers for rear shocks and springs (those part numbers for front susp. were taken before for different reasons... but came in handy), but I would never say something I didn't come to by experience... just wanted to warn that there could be problems fitting EC5A aftermarket kit to the EC5W... as I mentioned before - that's what happened to me when I spent money on something "that works for sure"... BTW nobody warned me about this at the time... Again - that's just me... maybe you'll have better luck.
    Last edited by valmes; 23-02-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

My be it was just springs that didn't match... I think Galants must be lighter in the rear... so the spring rate could be different, hence the ride height.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    18-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

I would go for 7kg front and 5kg rear for pure track use and very light road use.

Wow did I miss a few replies =] This is some good advice above, you don't want to de-spring to an extent that the shocks taking much of the load - especially for track days. Any shock has a life-span, and overloading it will place pressure on this life-span.

For those that have expressed interest, I'm sorry for not sending the bank information today. We were accepted as a dealer for another brand today so we've been running around like headless chickens sorting that out - amongst normal business thinga-ma-jigs..

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Quote Originally Posted by valmes
    My be it was just springs that didn't match... I think Galants must be lighter in the rear... so the spring rate could be different, hence the ride height.
    I think you are right Valmes. The Legnum probably has a stiffer rear spring in standard form. You also spotted my mistake. I did give the numbers for front suspension. However the rear shocks are EC5W MR272702/MR272701 and the EC5A is MR272701.

Mac. If I specified a certain spring rate for my dampers would the factory not valve the dampers to suit? If not then why say that you can specify your own spring rates? As you quite rightly say overworking a damper will shorten it's life and possibly mine aswell!!!

I think TEIN are extremely reputable suspension experts and they fit their Wagon dampers with 5kg front and 3 kg rear on both the Legnum and Galant.

However I will get my Leggy up on the ramp and measure the suspension to calculate the ideal spring rate range.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

However I will get my Leggy up on the ramp and measure the suspension to calculate the ideal spring rate range.
    Oh Goody - let us know how you get on - and more interestingly, how do you measure spring rates/ranges?

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Oh Goody - let us know how you get on - and more interestingly, how do you measure spring rates/ranges?
    You can measure the rate of a particular spring with a very expensive bit of equipment. All it basically is is a bottle jack to compress the spring one inch and a load cell or scale to measure how much weight is needed to compress the spring one inch. That then gives you the spring rate in lbs/in.

Working out what is right for your car is much less accurate. By working out the force applied to the spring by your suspension and the expected wheel frequency along with sprung weight/unsprung weight etc you can get a good idea of a suitable spring rate. I can't remember all the formulae off the top of my head but I have it all in a book at home.......

Is there a bored ****less smiley?

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

I will bow to you're better judgement regarding spring rates Marcus !!
    I presume they are for you're car ??

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    18-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Nope Daiyama won't revalve them shocks to suit. It's only for flexibility that you *can* buy other springs with your shocks. Many, many manufacturers do not offer extra springs as an option, so it's simply a perk with Daiyama. I'd personally recommend sticking with factory options - any aftermarket coilover will be significantly more rigid than stock units regardless of the spring rates.

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Quote Originally Posted by Mac.
    Nope Daiyama won't revalve them shocks to suit. It's only for flexibility that you *can* buy other springs with your shocks. Many, many manufacturers do not offer extra springs as an option, so it's simply a perk with Daiyama. I'd personally recommend sticking with factory options - any aftermarket coilover will be significantly more rigid than stock units regardless of the spring rates.

Mac. What are the spring lengths? 300mm?

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    18-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

That I will confirm for you. The Toyota and Honda kits here, as best as I can measue, are around 310-330mm.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    18-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Daiyama have replied: 200-220mm. Not very long indeed. I've asked if this is compressed, partially compressed or uncompressed.

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Thanks Mac. A shorter spring with a higher rate makes more sense. Can you also find out the height adjustment range for me ie how much lower or higher than standard can you adjust it?

Thanks again
    Marcus

p.s. Is it possible to get Daiyama to email a photo of the dampers for the EC5W?

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    18-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

I'll get a photo (of all the sets I can) - the range is between 1-4" I believe (25mm-130mm or there abouts)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast