Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

polishing question for the master

a Q for the man they call "K"

the background; i used some of that t-cut coloured polish stuff (red for the G) today and i could tell it gave the paint more depth and a richer red colour (compared to unpolished paintwork).

the question; normally i use meguliars 3 stage polish - would using a "coloured" polish after stage 2 (and before stage 3 - the carnouba waxing) make stages 1 & 2 pointless???
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

No, it wouldn't make stage 1 pointless. That coloured stuff will hide swirls and such by 'filling' them with a layer of product, rather than polishing them out - problem being that as soon as you wash/wax/use the car, it starts coming straight back out again - and then you need to re-polish.

I suppose step 1, colour magic and step 3 would be an interesting combination. Not sure if step 3 would layer over the T-Cut stuff properly though.

Other things to bear in mind -that coloured stuff also stains anything it looks at (black trim strips and such) and it gets panned on Autopia for having poor durability.

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Ok, digressing slightly K.

My missus' toyota is red, well actually its more pink than red as its faded badly.
    I've tried t cut, paintwork renovator and its still white. Any suggestions how we can get it to stay red for more than a couple of days? Cutting compound of some sort?

BTW Its not metallic red. and the car is H reg
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

If you apply T-Cut or any other 'Cutting' compound and then don't immediately follow it up with a good, oil-rich polish to feed the nesh paint and then a wax or silicone sealant, you will go straight back to faded red - in a matter of days! That's because the T-cut or whatever scrapes off the oxidised paintwork, but that's it. It leaves *NO* protection behind - so as soon as the sun shines, that nice new layer of paint (which having just been polished is especially vulnerable) gets barbecued!!!

Using a cutting compound is a drastic measure and if it's not done correctly, it can leave even solid colours looking like they've been attacked with a wire brush.

I presume this car doesn't have a clear coat - when you've been polishing it, does the polishing cloth turn the colour of the paint?

Personally, I would use a random orbital buffer (NOT a rotary, they're for pros only!!!!) and use something like the Meguiar's clear coat body scrub first. The AG Paintwork rennovator is a bit fierce and unless you're used to using it you can cause more damage.

Once you've polished/cut it back to a nice shiny red, wash it (gets rid of the cutting residue, and very thourghly polish it. Super Resin Polish or Meg's Deep crystal stage 2 is a start. When I say 'very thourghly' I mean don't just smear a coat on and leave it to haze - work it into the paint very well. It should start to haze as you polish - will take a few minutes.

Then, put a sealant over the top - prefrably something with good UV resistance and durability. Meguiar's NXT claims UV resistance and it looks good, but doesn't last terribly long. You could try collinite 845 or something like, if you can find it on sale anywhere.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Instead of T-Cut try Meguires ScratchX - i've used it on mine a couple of weeks ago and it made a huge difference.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

K any suggestions for removing tar specs.

Have used white spirit on old bangers in the past but seems a bit harsh to use it on decent body work.

Last Online
    22-07-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    3 Turbos, 700+bhp

A good cleaner/wax will get rid of most tar - or try Autoglym Tar remover if it's more stubborn.
    There's nothing wrong with Spirit - but bear in mind you're stripping any protection as you do it - so polish and wax immediately after.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks for that G. Mechanical issues no problem, cosmetics not so good or is it just laziness.

Name
    Jane
    Last Online
    11-08-2020
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ralliart VR4 Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beazer
    Ok, digressing slightly K.

My missus' toyota is red, well actually its more pink than red as its faded badly.
    I've tried t cut, paintwork renovator and its still white. Any suggestions how we can get it to stay red for more than a couple of days? Cutting compound of some sort?

BTW Its not metallic red. and the car is H reg
    Hi Paul

If it's pink then that's the colour it will stay I'm afraid. It's like a gob stopper the more you lick the more colour goes and you end up with the white bit at the end. That's why after a couple of days it just comes back pink again - it's just another layer of paint you've exposed to the elements for it to die off quicker. It's just cheap pigments in the paint and they aren't colour fast. Luckily things are alot better these days and the paint we use is even guaranteed not to fade but as always it's reflected in it's costs Sorry to be the bringer of doom etc

Jane

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by RED
    Hi Paul

Luckily things are alot better these days and the paint we use is even guaranteed not to fade but as always it's reflected in it's costs
    Jane

Which paint system do you and Marcus use Jane....

Name
    Marcus
    Last Online
    28-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4, Leg

Hi Sean,

We use Standox paints. Excellent stuff.

Marcus
    "You have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a s**t!"

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Quote Originally Posted by RED
    Hi Paul

If it's pink then that's the colour it will stay I'm afraid. It's like a gob stopper the more you lick the more colour goes and you end up with the white bit at the end. That's why after a couple of days it just comes back pink again - it's just another layer of paint you've exposed to the elements for it to die off quicker. It's just cheap pigments in the paint and they aren't colour fast. Luckily things are alot better these days and the paint we use is even guaranteed not to fade but as always it's reflected in it's costs Sorry to be the bringer of doom etc

Jane
    Thanks Jane, could be worse, could ny my car! The side was resprayed at some point in the past, but its not the same colour and it didnt have any clear laquer on it (the rest of the car does). Sounds like a bodge respray to me!