Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

parts

Hi everyone,

I got me VR4 a while back but due to working away have just got around to MOT'ing it and it failed on one thing nearside steering rack excessive movement? so to get it past the MOT so I can get it registered I need a steering rack for 1996 VR4, I have seen one one ebay guy says £100 is this ok or do you know where I can get one had it since December I just want to get it on the road and drive it.

Cheers Hammer

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    Hi everyone,

I got me VR4 a while back but due to working away have just got around to MOT'ing it and it failed on one thing nearside steering rack excessive movement? so to get it past the MOT so I can get it registered I need a steering rack for 1996 VR4, I have seen one one ebay guy says £100 is this ok or do you know where I can get one had it since December I just want to get it on the road and drive it.

Cheers Hammer
    Its more than likely just worn rack ends mate around £30 ish each side and not a bad job to replace either... so don't panic... of course if you spend another £20 on a full membership you get the best value for money anywhere, and access to tons of technical stuff.....

Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

Cool

Cheers for that mate, I may just take a photo of it and post it as I am not much into mech stuff but would that be the small rod that comes off the steering rack with the rubber cover and I assume some sort of balljoint in thier?, the other thing would be where to get them?? ohyes while I remember I was going to check if they where ajustable??. just one other thing how do I add a picture of me car as a avatar

Cheers Hammer

Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

Thanks for the info polabear, but still need to know where to get the stuff from, I've just took some pic's of me car and want to use one as me Avatar?? dont know how, also I will go full member when I can do it on line.

Cheers Hammer

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Hammer, you can only change your avatar if you're a fully paid up member, otherwise you have the choice of those 2 (rather odd) avatars at the mo!

Its well worth the £20 membership. Loads of info and help always available, go on! You know you owe it to your neglected car!
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You can join up on line. Click on any of the Join CVR4 links to do so.

Not many people have had to do the steering rack ends yet. A couple of people have been told it is the rack and sorted it with ends, as Pola said. I would try phoning around. Lots of parts are common with the V6, but I can't confirm if that one is. What do the dealers quote for new parts?

Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

Cool

Thanks for that Nick, I'll try the dealers tomorrow and see what they say and see if as you say the rods are comman on all the V6's,how hard ajob is it to change them? and I dont know if I asked before but are they ajustable?
    and as soon as I have finished this post I'll joint up.

Cheers Hammer

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    Cheers for that mate, I may just take a photo of it and post it as I am not much into mech stuff but would that be the small rod that comes off the steering rack with the rubber cover and I assume some sort of balljoint in thier?, the other thing would be where to get them?? ohyes while I remember I was going to check if they where ajustable??. just one other thing how do I add a picture of me car as a avatar

Cheers Hammer
    You got it, and no they are not adjustable. you can get em from mitsi at about double what I quoted or you can phone around your local jap parts suppliers and see if they do 'Blueprint' parts this is what we all use if available..., and they are are the proverbial piece of Wee...Wee to swap out, (and don't forget to have your tracking redone after) the avatar addition is done through your user cp at the top of the page but only can be done as a full member, it gives you the sizes of the different files/photo's that you can upload.. and while you're at it you can also upload £20 for the full membership... go on .. you know it makes sense....

Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

Thanks Pola, I'll try a few places tomorrow.I tried uploading £20 but can only see a printable form to post?? am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers Hammer

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

PM the details on the form to Spirit. Saves printing and posting. Spirit sets the accounts up once a week, so if you paypal and PM the details from the form, he can set you up the next time he is able.

Last Online
    24-08-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Premera/VR4

Nick, thanks again I'll try that, but how do you paypal?? do you need to be signed up to that(which I am in the process of doing on ebay, should be done tomorrow.)