Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Red face "Not a proper VR-4".....

I've seen/heard more than one comment on the forums and elsewhere suggesting that my comments in this thread, whilst being in jest, were a little 'too close to the knuckle'...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15141

Just to be clear, it was intended as a joke/windup, and I personally don't think it was too abrasive, given the context of the thread. However I do recognise that a joke's only a joke when others find it funny.

I don't want to debate on what qualifies a VR-4 as a VR-4, or anything like that - as I said, the original comments were said in jest and don't represent my feelings towards the GTO in any particular way. I just want to record that I do regret if I offended anyone, particularly anyone who owns or has owned a GTO/3000GT/Stealth/VR-4 out there. I think I would be quite stung if some GTO owner said my Legnum wasn't a VR-4!

So please take this as an apology from me if you were offended by that thread.

And we now return to your normal schedule!
    Last edited by Kieran; 26-01-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: correcting URL to point to page 1

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Of course he took it so well....

Good humour and grace

I was more interested in that someone could just sign up and post adverts that have almost no use to the site, be it some obscure VR3+1/2 or someother crap.

Maybe it would be worth having a 10 post requirement or something before you could put up ads?

Last Online
    22-11-2017
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    R34 GTT

Quote Originally Posted by mpau009
    Maybe it would be worth having a 10 post requirement or something before you could put up ads?
    I think thats a good idea. Have seen it on other forums, of people having to input something or have to have posted enough times before they look at requesting or trying to sell something on the site.

I believe some people that aren't used to the site can take things a little harshly sometimes.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12824

Maybe us (real ( ) VR4 owners have a strange sense of humour though.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

I've posted this before, and it would also help boost membership - if only members could post in the for sale section - then they would have to pay up to advertise / weed out those who have no valid input to this forum/club. Plenty of other sites only allow paid up members this priveledge.

Also, another idea we could pinch from the FTOOC is to restrict registered users (non payed up members) to a newbies forum only - again another reason to pay up....
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There are changes being discussed and hopefully implemented that should make the for sale section a happier and less abused place. As with all things, we are learning and expanding and learning, but not always keeping up!

And Kieran - the only people who call the GTO a VR4 live on a continent that doesn't have the 8g VR4. So lets alienate them all!! We have nothing to lose!!!

(Please let me point out that my bigoted and self centred comments are there for shock value only and are not intended to reflect or enhance any opinion percieved or otherwise of myself, Kieran or other club members. Anyone anal enough to think I am being serious needs to urgently swallow a large number of Anti McEnroe tablets - the 500 mg variety.)

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I think it's disgraceful Kieran, and you should be banned from any events this summer as punishment

The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Will
    Last Online
    18-05-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab95aero lpg

close shave

um, yes, I'd say Kieran was a little close to the knuckle, given that the thread was started by a newbie, who's less likely to appreciate the good natured humour that goes on around here.
    But then, as a newbie, his reaction should have been to ask (& ask himself) just how he caused the offense in the first place. (Which he *just about* did, eventually).
    But hey, that's all part of the fun of forums, and you ain't lived till you've been burned in a few posts.

& I totally agree that it's strange to allow a newcomer to post ads straight off. Part of the attraction of an owners community is that the cars advertised (& their owners) are known to the community; that's pretty comforting if you're looking to buy. Allowing somebody to surf in & advertise undermines that value for everybody.

just my 2cents

Will

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    01-05-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    XF V8 & Shogun

We've seen it plenty.

The best forum to see it happen is driftworks... anyone who posts in for sale with less than say 5 posts gets pounced on by everyone...

I have to agree with it though tbh

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

I have to agree with the Crucify Kieran Crowd. He's a nasty piece of work that lad. I think it's the hair - I was married to a RedHead once, and it was hell!

The evidence, your honour....:

• When he was fitting my Brembos, he gazed at my coffee with undisguised lust not once, but several times.
    • He spotted my gearbox leak which cost me about a grand to fix. Barsteward.
    • He also gazed at my brembos with lust
    • If my wife was there, I feel confident enough to say that he would have gazed at her with lust too. HOMEBREAKER!
    • His knowledge of VR4's makes me feel stupid. He should try to appear more ignorant IMHO
    • The mounds of advice he's given me (while useful, and may have saved my bacon several times) has only saved me a couple of thousand pounds at best. Tight buggr.
    • He nicked my bl00dy wheels!

Banning is too good for him

All forums have an Etiquette that is pointed out in the registration process. There are umpteen posts saying 'read this before you post' etc. While I agree that new posters need a fair bit of leeway, n0bheds will always be n0bheds (as the originator of the above thread most conclusively is), and are fair game. He's just lucky Kieran got in there first !

If you're going to join a forum, take time to read and get to know people first.

When people visit me, they get sat on by cats. No debate - it's the cats' home, and they're in charge. If you don't like being sat on by cats, don't visit me.

CVR4 is our home, and we like it like this. If sarcastic humour was banned, I'd be

The next time I see you SK, I'll teach you to say 'Kiss My 4rse' with conviction !!!!
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

Quote Originally Posted by ritch_w
    Also, another idea we could pinch from the FTOOC is to restrict registered users (non payed up members) to a newbies forum only - again another reason to pay up....
    I really don't think that is a good idea ...

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by valmes
    I really don't think that is a good idea ...
    Pay your bl00dy memebership fee, Valmes, you tight4rse!

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

Quote Originally Posted by bernmc
    Pay your bl00dy memebership fee, Valmes, you tight4rse!
    still too much snow around... can't get to the bank

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Quality Bern, mucho humoroso!!

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

So anyway, which is the faster car? Twin turbo GTO or Galant VR-4? My guess is on a track the AYC equipped Galant would corner better and carry the day. Anyone ever raced a GTO?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

3000GT/GTO's have the same gubbins as our VR4's AFAIK and 320hp through a 3.0 V6 TT - I think. But they weigh more. I reckon it'd be a close call.

Name
    Wouter
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    01 White Legnum

The GTO has 4 wheel steer.... and if Mo's 6G is anything to go by.... then I doubt I would want to drive one at speed arround a corner!
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

Although I did "kill" couple GTOs and 3000GTs in a straight line and on the road, they have better "aftermarket support" and can potentially run some good numbers (HPs, TQ, ETs, traps)...
    There are Stealths R/T TTs and 3000GT VR-4s that run 10 sec - 1/4 mile...
    So for now our cars are slower, but I hope it is going to change...

Last Online
    24-01-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Evo 5RS 2.3ltr

Nice to see you around Valmes!!

Oh, Kieren, don't worry mate... it's not like he was on the verge of becoming a member or contributed highly to the club and you didn't intentionaly upset him or anything.... No harm no foul....
    Gas Flowed Head & Sponsorship by www.whitfieldraceengines.co.uk

Parts & Sponsorship by Indigo-GT www.Indigo-GT.co.uk

Sponsored by T2 Design Solutions www.t2ds.co.uk

550BHP 2.3 Evo 5RS - AMS GT3076R

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Michaeli, I think you are right there, the guy was never going to own the right style of car so he would never stay around anyway.

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    24-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    02 16v Classic

If you are after a informed comparison between the VR-4 and what we know as the GTO/3000GT, then a certain member with a spangly, super shiny silver RalliArt Galant should be able to oblige as IIRC he owns both.....

..... I do hope the mud came out of the VR-4's carpets though....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast