M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Odd sound? or not an odd sound?

I took delivery of my VR-4 today, INSERT INTO post VALUES (only just bought it) and I've noticed what I think is an odd sound coming from the engine.
    It's a ticking sound but it's intermittent.
    It is not the injectors and I'm sure it isn't the camshaft as it isn't permanent?

After buying the car it appears to have done an extra 150 miles ish?? I allowed for its journey down so I'm very suspicious where these extra 150 miles have come from, the sound I'm hearing now was not there before, I'm sure of it.

I've just recorded the sound of the engine it is just over 1 mb in size, and 36 seconds long.
    I'd appreciate it if you guys could hear it and tell me if it's different to what you hear.
    It is the loud ticking, if you listen carefully the ticking fades half way through and then comes back and then fades again just before it ends.

I just want to make sure that it's sorted now rather than 2 months down the line and then they will tell me my camshaft is up the creek and it's gonna cost me stupid money!!!

Right click and save as..
    Last edited by Brind; 22-04-2003 at 09:23 PM.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds to me like the tappets, i had that problem, couple things you can do, get the engine flushed several times INSERT INTO post VALUES (mine was done countless times) or have them replaced...

is it there when you rev it? or just when idle?

but thats my idea..any one else?
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Pretty much through out the rev range, but it fades to nothing which is strange, typically it sounded worse when I recorded it.:rolleyes:

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

when warm also? or just when cold?

i still get it for about 20 seconds in the morning, then its gone.

I used to get it for ages, all through my drive INSERT INTO post VALUES (50 miles to blackpool); and when i got to work it was still there.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

I've been playing with the car since it arrived lol:cool: so I've only heard it run when it is at running temp.

So I'd guess it's there all the time.:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say about it and where these mystery miles came from.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

if you got the time, could you also record it while giving it a bit of a rev, so we can hear the change INSERT INTO post VALUES (if any) from upper revs to idle?

i still recon its the tappets, but theres jsut something i cant get my finger on, sure mine was more like tapping your fingernails on the table, whereas thats sounds more like one solid tapping noise.. onder:

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Sounds like tappets to me aswell - try the old screwdriver test - put the metal end on the part you want to listen too and put ear on handle end - this should magnify the sound and help you pinpoint it.

I too would try flushing the engine, but this has never worked for me before really - if it gets on your nerves too much then replacing them is the only option - bit pricey though I bet !

Mine make a little noise but not enough to bother me.

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Okay no problem, but I'll have to do it tomorrow I don't suppose my neighbours want to hear the HKS Drager exhaust giving it some at this time.

But if it helps the sound does rise in speed with the engine speed.
    But again it comes and goes..
    I think you are right though.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

You saying about the screwdriver test.. I can't find where it is coming from either! :confused:

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Originally posted by Brind
    Okay no problem, but I'll have to do it tomorrow I don't suppose my neighbours want to hear the HKS Drager exhaust giving it some at this time.

But if it helps the sound does rise in speed with the engine speed.
    But again it comes and goes..
    I think you are right though.
    in the mornings after the car is cold, it will sound like crap, for about 30-60 seconds.. possibly longer.. if thats the case id say it was the tappets, was the car "warm" when you picked it up?

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Originally posted by BraindG
    was the car "warm" when you picked it up?
    Yes, it had been driven 110 miles ish down to me, apparently there was something wrong with their transporter.
    They didn't tell me this until it arrived outside my house with a Mitsubishi van behind it.

Hmmmm

I didn't hear it from cold when I bought it either, but upon driving 110 miles to view the car in the first place and it had been test driven moments before I viewed the car I couldn't really argue, although I'm sure it didn't make that sound before.

Last Online
    27-03-2009
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 Type-S

Your car sound like mine when it's warmed up

I get the feeling it's coming from the belts and the pulley's?

Could try changing them as a test, cheaper too.
    Not all Mitzy engines are quite
    96-97 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

Could be tappets but this noise should go after about 30 secs
    or
    I have also heard that injectors can cause this noise aswell and will keep being noisey through all rev ranges

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Mine didnt Nick, I had it the entire journey, and when i got to my destination you could still hear them.

would be interesting to hear it with the engine being rev'd

Rhys, and your not worried?
    :headsc:

Last Online
    27-03-2009
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 Type-S

Originally posted by BraindG
    Mine didnt Nick, I had it the entire journey, and when i got to my destination you could still hear them.

would be interesting to hear it with the engine being rev'd

Rhys, and your not worried?
    :headsc:
    Nup, Mitsubishi NZ never said boo about my engine, must be used to hearing them i guess. I had the main tech guy working on my car when changing and Bleeding the AYC oil.

He would have said something if something was wrong. Every V6 engine is different.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Thanks alot for the replys!

I started her up first thing this morning and she started ticking away.. but it went after about 5 seconds, so without a doubt it is a noisy tappet, after she got a bit warmer the ticking came back and again fading in and out in varying cycles, the ticking is exactly the same sound as it was when she first started.

She is absolutely mint and looks the dogs.. and she gets plenty of looks which is good to boost the ego but it is also very worrying that it could be targeted by idiots.

But I'm not happy!

I have 30 days in which to be satisfied plus I have a years Red Zebra warranty, they should sort it under warranty, at least they better, and not give me grief or else I'll put a huge sign on the car at 'Japfest' so 100's of other Jap car owners can see that 'Red Zebra' are ****e, I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE, THEY JUST BETTER NOT BE!

If you have a warranty why not use it! dread to think how much it'll cost.

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

From the MLR FAQ section, slightly modified to cater for the V6 and from personal experience - there's a known problem that affects all hydraulic tappet cars:

Symptom:
    A noticeable ‘ticking’ noise from the top of the engine. Usually appears when starting the engine from cold but can persist.

Problem and Cure:
    The noise is caused by air being trapped in the Lash Adjuster INSERT INTO post VALUES (Hydraulric Tappet). Normally the high-pressure chamber in the Lash Adjuster should contain oil but due to various reasons INSERT INTO post VALUES (listed below) the oil drains away leaving only air present. This causes the adjuster to become compressed. The compressed adjuster does not take up the clearance between the roller rocker and the cam lobe correctly when the valve is opening meaning a ‘ticking’ can be heard. It may take a short period for the air to be expelled after starting the engine so some ‘ticking’ noise is acceptable however, if the noise lasts for a long period or doesn’t go away at all then there maybe a problem.

Air can be trapped in the adjuster due to several reasons that are listed below:

Low oil level.
    Incorrect grade of oil used INSERT INTO post VALUES (too thin or thick).
    Old oil INSERT INTO post VALUES (debris in the oil may block an adjuster).
    If the car is stood for a long period or if it is stood on an incline INSERT INTO post VALUES (the oil will drain from the adjusters).
    Over filling the engine with oil INSERT INTO post VALUES (if the oil level reaches the crank it may churn air into the oil that will migrate to the lash adjusters).
    If the tappet noise does not disappear soon after start up INSERT INTO post VALUES (5-10 seconds); switch off, then restart and listen again. If that doesn't work, then try some mild racing of the engine. Gradually increase the engine speed to 3000rpm INSERT INTO post VALUES (over 30 seconds) and then gradually decrease it back to idle INSERT INTO post VALUES (again over 30 seconds). Repeat this roughly 10 times. If the tappet noise disappears then the air has been expelled from the Lash Adjusters and they are working normally again. It is worth checking your oil level and condition as that maybe the cause of the air entering the Lash Adjusters in the first place. Change your oil if in doubt. Make sure you use the correct grade of oil as going too thick or thin can make matters worse. Mitsubishi quote 10W30 as the correct grade of oil to use. If an oil change makes no difference then the adjusters are either blocked, worn INSERT INTO post VALUES (spring inside becomes weakened) or damaged and will require cleaning or possible replacement. Garages will normally replace them as it is more cost effective than cleaning and usually they will replace the whole set of 24. A competent home mechanic can clean or replace the Lash Adjusters. If in doubt consult your servicing agent.

Approximate cost of repair:
    Oil change = £30-£50
    New Lash Adjusters are approximately £20 each inclusive INSERT INTO post VALUES (fitting approx. 2-6 hours depending on the number to replace)

Brian

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Excellent! thanks alot for the info.

Name
    calum
    Last Online
    02-01-2021
    Country
    Scotland

You don't need new ones - I believe you can recondition INSERT INTO post VALUES (quite easily) the ones you've got - http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=18708

Calum

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Thanks Calum, that's quite interesting to see, although it will be their problem to rectify.

I just went out to check the oil out of interest, INSERT INTO post VALUES (the car has been standing all day as it is a second car) the oil is absolutely black!!! which leads me to believe it hasn't been changed in a while or there is a problem some where.
    It has only done 500 miles since the last service so something is very wrong here!

I have a K reg 90,000mile Nissan S13 200SX and the oil was very clean after 9000 miles INSERT INTO post VALUES (3 years) so are they going to tell me that in 500 miles the oil in this 48,000mile VR-4 will turn completely black?!!

If they haven't done the main engine oil, have they done the AYC oil? what else hasn't been done?!!! :nono:
    They aren't going to like me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast